Jordan Rhodes

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

The idea that they're suddenly bad players is stupid on it's face.

We just don't, and have never, used them in an even half way sensible way.

He isn't suddenly a bad player  - totally agree

He hasn't been very good for quite a while 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

I think his body language after the goal was because Nuhui gave him a shove in the back as he was about to meet the cross 

No guarantee he’d bury it...but he probably thought he took his chance away....

Desire.

The difference between him and Nuhiu.

That clip is a metaphor for their respective careers here

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Rhodes has only scored 20 league goals in nearly 4 years since he left Blackburn. In that time he's played under Karanka, Carlos, Jos, Bullen and Farke. Is it all 5 coaches fault for not using him in a sensible way? He'll have earned around £10 million in wages in the 4 years since Blackburn so he's been earning around 500k per league goal.

Winnall doesn't have much pedigree as a championship striker really. Most of his career goals are in League 1 and 2. And add to that he's coming back from a serious knee injury so he's still to prove he's the same player since the injury.

Jordan Rhodes last league goal came on the 12 January so he's currently on an 8 month goal drought.

Sam Winnall's last league goal came on the 30 December 2017 so he's 20 months without a goal

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Desire.

The difference between him and Nuhiu.

That clip is a metaphor for their respective careers here

Rhodes got shoved in the back had it been a Rotherham defender and we not scored we would of had a very good penalty shout one VAR probably would of found in our favour if the ref missed it.

It was Rhodes chance right up until that shove - that’s just fact. What’s not fact is would he of scored it.. I’d hope he would of.

What I witnessed last night from Rhodes is what I expect a player of his reputation in the mix throughout waiting for that one chance .. a hallmark of his career to date. 

He was on the end of that cross when push came to shove (pun) .. we scored - just not him.

What none of us know is the impact of the summer bids, the loss of Bruce and his uncle .. was Rhodes set for a larger role this season?.. the continual benching he’s had here? 

Id say Rhodes needs man managing right now alongside pulling his own socks up. 

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

At this point, if he's pissed off i don't blame him at all.

Bully's another manager who refused to play Rhodes regularly and in a system which works for him.

Sam Winnall the same.

These guys are proven goal scorers, who've come to Wednesday and been misused since day one.

Carlos didn't know what to do with them so just threw them on together with no supply and hoped the ball magically ended up in the net.

Jos found a freaky patch of form from Nuhiu and Joao and then decided we just shouldn't score goals.

Bruce didn't really play either of them..

now Bully wants to play 1 up top and it doesn't suit either of them.

Rhodes and Fletch (or Winnall and Fletch) should work really well. Fletch doesn't score a lot, but his inteligent link up and ability to play a target man would be great for a natural striker playing along side him. It's a bit depressing to have the riches of strikers we have, and to just have them rotting in the stands.

Rhodes went to Norwich, didn't get masses of game time due to Pukki being immense, but still scored a similar number to Fletch and Joao, with 1/3rd as much time on the pitch.

Winnall went to Derby, scored half a dozen goals and probably would have signed for them if not for injury.

Norwich actually started last season with Rhodes as their primary striker, he played in their first 6 games by which time they were languishing near the bottom of the table.

Farke changed things around dropped Rhodes and made Pukki the primary striker and thy sailed away with the title. Rhodes played mainly as substitute for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Mentioned in one of the other threads, his runs off the ball are brilliant. and he is nearly always closest to the ball when it comes in the box. Doesn't fit our playstyle at all, then again i'm not sure any strikers do tbh. He'd have had 20+ goals if he had been at lane last year. 

1 hour ago, NYowl said:

Norwich actually started last season with Rhodes as their primary striker, he played in their first 6 games by which time they were languishing near the bottom of the table.

Farke changed things around dropped Rhodes and made Pukki the primary striker and thy sailed away with the title. Rhodes played mainly as substitute for the rest of the season.

You're saying that Farke realised after 6 games that Rhodes wasn't effective as a lone striker?

Well done, Farke. Everyone should figure that out that quickly.

Yet we still haven't realised that going on for 3 years since he first came to the club.

So now Rhodes gets tossed into some messed up mishmash of a system last night, with Winnall relegated to playing in midfield.. again!

Bully seems to have decided he's a midfielder and that the strikers didn't need supply.

Top stuff.. give him the job permanently. ffs.

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

At this point, if he's pissed off i don't blame him at all.

Bully's another manager who refused to play Rhodes regularly and in a system which works for him.

Sam Winnall the same.

These guys are proven goal scorers, who've come to Wednesday and been misused since day one.

Carlos didn't know what to do with them so just threw them on together with no supply and hoped the ball magically ended up in the net.

Jos found a freaky patch of form from Nuhiu and Joao and then decided we just shouldn't score goals.

Bruce didn't really play either of them..

now Bully wants to play 1 up top and it doesn't suit either of them.

Rhodes and Fletch (or Winnall and Fletch) should work really well. Fletch doesn't score a lot, but his inteligent link up and ability to play a target man would be great for a natural striker playing along side him. It's a bit depressing to have the riches of strikers we have, and to just have them rotting in the stands.

Rhodes went to Norwich, didn't get masses of game time due to Pukki being immense, but still scored a similar number to Fletch and Joao, with 1/3rd as much time on the pitch.

Winnall went to Derby, scored half a dozen goals and probably would have signed for them if not for injury.

That's absolute rubbish in my opinion

Rhodes has been given multiple chances in multiple set ups. Think he's been paired with every striker the club has had and still hasn't produced.

Basically you are saying it's Carlos's, Jos, Bruce and Bullens fault that Rhodes hasn't done it. Do you hear how daft that sounds? four managers who see him train every day are all wrong are they?

At least Winnall plays for the team and shows a bit of effort. Can't really see I have seen much of that attitude from Rhodes. 

I'm certain Rhodes will see out his contract here and then be released. No-one wants to pay anything for him .  

Grow up, Rhodes hasn't been given any where near the games he would have got if Carlos haven't played him wrong from the start. He went to Middlesbrough and was played one up front which is no good for him after scoring regularly for years before. He needs a striker to mix things up so he can sneak about in the box. His link up play is good but rarely gets a chance at the end of things. Our number of players and him not being a Carlos type player on top of him being played wrong at Middlesbrough has compounded his lack of confidence and edge. Now people expect him to be amazing when he gets a few minutes then slag him when he doesn't.

Nuihu is loved and yet 9 times out of 10 he's poor. Rhodes has had an amazing record at this level until Middlesbrough in premiership so why does he get all the haters.

Needs arm round not kick up the ar@#

• Like 1

N

1 minute ago, ashley8 said:

Grow up, Rhodes hasn't been given any where near the games he would have got if Carlos haven't played him wrong from the start. He went to Middlesbrough and was played one up front which is no good for him after scoring regularly for years before. He needs a striker to mix things up so he can sneak about in the box. His link up play is good but rarely gets a chance at the end of things. Our number of players and him not being a Carlos type player on top of him being played wrong at Middlesbrough has compounded his lack of confidence and edge. Now people expect him to be amazing when he gets a few minutes then slag him when he doesn't.

Nuihu is loved and yet 9 times out of 10 he's poor. Rhodes has had an amazing record at this level until Middlesbrough in premiership so why does he get all the haters.

Nuhiu is loved? He gets more grief than any player I've known in recent times. He has a blinder and it falls on blind eyes.

11 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

That's absolute rubbish in my opinion

Rhodes has been given multiple chances in multiple set ups. Think he's been paired with every striker the club has had and still hasn't produced.

Basically you are saying it's Carlos's, Jos, Bruce and Bullens fault that Rhodes hasn't done it. Do you hear how daft that sounds? four managers who see him train every day are all wrong are they?

At least Winnall plays for the team and shows a bit of effort. Can't really see I have seen much of that attitude from Rhodes. 

I'm certain Rhodes will see out his contract here and then be released. No-one wants to pay anything for him . 

Well, I'll ask you..

Did Carlos get the best out of him? Or any of our strikers?

Fletch looks like a different player now to under Carlos, because we're playing to his strengths, he's got a good run in the team and we've got players around him that let him do what he does best. Carlos stuffed Rhodes up top, along side Winnall who is a similar kind of player to Rhodes, a finisher, not a link up player or a chance creator. They made similar runs and our midfield struggled to find our front men thru-out that last season of Carlos.

Believe it or not.. Rhodes never played with Nuhiu under Carlos and only played once with Fletch where we won 2-0.

He played mostly with Winnall and a handful with Nando.. who none of our strikers have successfully partnered with.

Jos came in and was super defensive. to start with. Early on he played Rhodes and Joao, again, not suited as neither can really to hold up play for the other.. Given how defensive we were, Joao's pace on the break was a big weapon and Joao started to find some form. With Fletch out, Nuhiu was bought into the team for his holdup play and Nuhiu went on a made run of scoring, never seen before nor since.

Then Rhodes went on loan. Knocked in 9 goals for Norwich, with a better goals per minute than any of our players.

Bullen.. has put to use the pace of Harris and Murphy. Harris has been great. Murphy looks like he might just be pace and no end product. But that setup with out and out attaking wide men has meant we play 1 up front. Something Rhodes isnt good at, but that Fletch excells at.

So.. at what point did we play Rhodes in a pair with a decent foil?

Because the only time I can think of was one game against Hull and we won 2-0.

Was carlos wrong? Yes.

Was Jos wrong? No, we were a sinking ship and had to play defensively. Joao's pace was the best coutner-attacking tool we had, so Jos used it.

Was Bruce wrong? Umm.. no.. he never got to kick a ball for Bruce.

Is Bullen wrong? Remains to be seen. We're going to need an alternative system to the 433 at some point. Looking at teh men we have, Rhodes and Fletch makes the most sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Then Rhodes went on loan. Knocked in 9 goals for Norwich, with a better goals per minute than any of our players.

The 9 goals for Norwich includes a hat trick against Wycombe in the League Cup.

I'm not sure the 'better goals per minute than any of our players' is true if you only count league games.

And Norwich were a much better side than us last year, you'd expect a striker to score when he's playing for the best side in the league.

He's scored one goal since November and hasn't scored since January

11 minutes ago, nilsson said:

The 9 goals for Norwich includes a hat trick against Wycombe in the League Cup.

I'm not sure the 'better goals per minute than any of our players' is true if you only count league games.

And Norwich were a much better side than us last year, you'd expect a striker to score when he's playing for the best side in the league.

He's scored one goal since November and hasn't scored since January

So, minutes per goal, only counting league games..

Rhodes 168
Fletch 230
Nando 240
Nuhiu 382
Winnall (no goals)

I take your point about Norwich being better than us, but if we're going to get promoted, we're going to have to play more like Norwich and less like Jos' Owls. If Rhodes can score for a good Norwich side, there's no reason he can't score for a good Wednesday side.

1 hour ago, markg said:

Nuhiu is loved? He gets more grief than any player I've known in recent times. He has a blinder and it falls on blind eyes.

Even when he found his goal scoring patch at the end of a season, people still put him down saying it was just to get a new contract

Every time he’s out on the pitch he makes a difference, whether it’s holding up the ball, linking the strikers or scoring, “fans” still won’t give him a break. 

1 hour ago, ashley8 said:

Nuhiu was a bargain basement signing. From Austria. He came with zero expectations. It looked a rather pointlessmarginal signing at the end of a summer where it became clear the owner of the time had no appetite for anything beyond relegation scraps. 

Rhodes is a rather different case. 

No one expected anything off Nuhiu. In the event he has matured into a decent level championship squad player. 

Rhodes is rather a different case