Jordan Rhodes

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Absolutely. This photo says it all, Nuhiu has a big defender wrapped around his neck, Rhodes in front of him, and he still showed the desire to battle and stick it in the net. When was the last time Rhodes showed that sort of determination?

_108533883_nuhiu.jpg.c8257cad1639813d029e7b7f024d72e6.jpg

To say this has anything to do with determination/desire is absolute ballcocks. If Rhodes was a Rovrum player its a foul on him, if Dave was a Rovrum player its a penalty for a shove. Either way desire has nothing to do with it. Rhodes ran more than anyone else in the team according to Bully, doesn't equate to a lack of those attributes. 

29 minutes ago, alanharper said:

To be fair he wouldn't have made a difference,  and was probably lined up for the 6th pen. CCs comments did him no favours.

Hutch would still have stepped up to take the first because that's the sort of bloke he is. FF was the regular pen taker and was given the vital 5th. And the middle 3 were scored anyway. So if Rhodes was going to take one it'd have been most likely in place of one of the players who scored anyway. And given that every pen I've seen him take in the last few years has been a namby pamby sidefoot to the keeper's left he may well have missed it and put us out sooner.

Out of curiosity how many pens has Nando scored and missed here?

i do not trust him with penalties. 

37 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Absolutely. This photo says it all, Nuhiu has a big defender wrapped around his neck, Rhodes in front of him, and he still showed the desire to battle and stick it in the net. When was the last time Rhodes showed that sort of determination?

_108533883_nuhiu.jpg.c8257cad1639813d029e7b7f024d72e6.jpg

So what you're saying is, 'cause Rhodes wasn't able to score after having the combined weight and momentum of 6'6'' Nuhiu and I can only assume about 6'2'' Rotherham defender propelled into his back as the ball got to him, he doesn't have enough desire?

19 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So what you're saying is, 'cause Rhodes wasn't able to score after having the combined weight and momentum of 6'6'' Nuhiu and I can only assume about 6'2'' Rotherham defender propelled into his back as the ball got to him, he doesn't have enough desire?

No, what I'm saying, and now repeating, is that Nuhiu was absolutely determined to stick that ball in the net no matter what. And I can't remember Rhodes ever showing anything like that determination and desire to score a goal against the odds in a Wednesday shirt. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 10:56, alanharper said:

To be fair he wouldn't have made a difference,  and was probably lined up for the 6th pen. CCs comments did him no favours.

Hutch would still have stepped up to take the first because that's the sort of bloke he is. FF was the regular pen taker and was given the vital 5th. And the middle 3 were scored anyway. So if Rhodes was going to take one it'd have been most likely in place of one of the players who scored anyway. And given that every pen I've seen him take in the last few years has been a namby pamby sidefoot to the keeper's left he may well have missed it and put us out sooner.

You are probably right but I would rather him take one and miss it than refuse, especially as Hutch was on his last legs.  Never mind it's history now but didn't paint him in a good light with the fans.  

On 30/08/2019 at 20:43, Mus said:

I never forgave him for refusing to take a penalty that could have sent us to the playoff final.  Disgraceful that, a striker at that.  He can go anytime for me, what a waste of money he's been.

This is bizarre to me.. I'm sure plenty of strikes were not in the right head space to take penalties, stood up to take them anyway and missed. Rhodes was honest enough to say he wasn't in the right place to take one, and rather than screw it up gave it to someone who was in the right place to take it. He thought he was a risk, so excluded himself for the good of the team.

Fair play imo. Players aren't machines, and if someone doesn't feel right to take one they shouldn't.