Premier League 2019/20

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just looks a bit out of his depth...but then to be fair everyone since Fergie left has looked like that, including Mourinho. 

They just lack quality. 

Yeah I really don’t know who they would/should turn to if Ole does leave. They seem to have tried every type of manager since Fergie left and none have really worked. 

41 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Yeah I really don’t know who they would/should turn to if Ole does leave. They seem to have tried every type of manager since Fergie left and none have really worked. 

Think they should turn to a British manager who has worked his way up the leagues but is perhaps a little unsettled due to recent boardroom upheaval...

On 21/09/2019 at 19:29, hirstyboywonder said:

Best league in the world we are told!

The reality is that 2 teams are miles better then the rest, another 5 or 6 are decent but can't get anywhere near the other 2. The rest are scrapping with each other to not get relegated.

Man City 5-0 up inside 20 minutes, Liverpool not even close to drawing a game so far. Norwich were great last week but results like that aren't confined to the PL as the commentators would have you believe, Barcelona drew with a newly promoted side a couple of weeks ago.

Just had Newcastle-Brighton on in the background, the home side were appalling for 75 minutes.

I read of this the other week. Very interesting!

How The Premier League is Ruining Football

10 hours ago, Stoop said:

Tbh it should be 5, but for some reason Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have decided to all hire terrible managers

Emery is a good manager, Arsenal don't have great side. They have an outside chance of top 4 this season though.

Chelsea needed someone who could work with their kids. They lost their one star player and have a transfer ban, hardly going to attract anyone stellar this season on that basis and at least Lampard and Morris have knowledge of the Chelsea youngsters they are bringing through.

Ole isn't the right man for Man Utd but they have made huge mistakes at board level with managers and signings.

It isn't just the managers that are the difference though, Liverpool and Man City have far better squads than those 3. 

On 21/09/2019 at 20:53, scram said:

What major league genuinely has more than 2 challengers?

Atletico have won the league recently and regularly finish above Real and do well in Europe. The PL used to have more than 2 challengers but is moving further away from that as things stand. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal have got a lot of work to do to even close the gap on the top 2 and as good as Spurs can be at times they always seem o be too inconsistent to mount a title challenge and may be in need of a rebuild with the way things have gone with the likes of Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld lately.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Emery is a good manager, Arsenal don't have great side. They have an outside chance of top 4 this season though.

Chelsea needed someone who could work with their kids. They lost their one star player and have a transfer ban, hardly going to attract anyone stellar this season on that basis and at least Lampard and Morris have knowledge of the Chelsea youngsters they are bringing through.

Ole isn't the right man for Man Utd but they have made huge mistakes at board level with managers and signings.

It isn't just the managers that are the difference though, Liverpool and Man City have far better squads than those 3. 

Yes people sometimes forget that Pep and Klopp have spent over £300m to create the great sides they have.  Klopp in particular inherited a side that had finished 2nd under Rodgers? I wonder where Liverpool would be under Rodgers if he was allowed to spend £300m. Might have won more than 1 trophy In these past 4 years.

BUT, I’m a big believer in the manager attracts players to a club not just contracts, and I think Man Utd need to appoint a manager who can make the next gen players choose them over other English sides, as they have similar spending power to the rest

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Yes people sometimes forget that Pep and Klopp have spent over £300m to create the great sides they have.  Klopp in particular inherited a side that had finished 2nd under Rodgers? I wonder where Liverpool would be under Rodgers if he was allowed to spend £300m. Might have won more than 1 trophy In these past 4 years.

BUT, I’m a big believer in the manager attracts players to a club not just contracts, and I think Man Utd need to appoint a manager who can make the next gen players choose them over other English sides, as they have similar spending power to the rest

I agree that managers will make if difference in terms of who the very top players want to play for and Solskjaer is yet to prove himself in this respect. The Champions League is also a big draw for players, they will be reluctant to join any club that they can envisage being out of the Champions League for more than a season which is part of the reason why Man Utd have had to pay over the odds in terms of fees and wages for the players they have signed recently.

City and Liverpool are way out in front but anyone who is an England fan should be delighted that Lampard has been bringing through these players. Yes he doesn't have a choice but he could has shown he's going to absolutely go for it and play with some excitement. They were great second half yesterday against a top, top team. The Chelsea defence looks woeful (I say defence but it was basically that Danish kid who was out of his depth) but to try to help with that they are trying to outscore teams - which is always fun. They'll finish sixth but those players will be so much better for a full season in the first team.

Man City winning by eight just doesn't seem that impressive. They score five or six every other week. They didn't even have to try hard to do it either. Watford gifted them at least four goals with shocking defending.

35 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree that managers will make if difference in terms of who the very top players want to play for and Solskjaer is yet to prove himself in this respect. The Champions League is also a big draw for players, they will be reluctant to join any club that they can envisage being out of the Champions League for more than a season which is part of the reason why Man Utd have had to pay over the odds in terms of fees and wages for the players they have signed recently.

Yes that’s true about champions league football. I think one of the avenues to attract players is with your manager and the jury is still out with Solkjaer. The way he reacted to yesterday’s defeat and hearing Keane and mourinho’s comments wasn’t very inspiring.  They need to somehow find the next Klopp or Pep 

11 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Serious question here, do you really think Rodgers could have made Liverpool better than Klopp? I don’t, even if he had spent 30 billion. 

Mnay teams have spunked more than either liverpool and Man City have spent and done nothing. 

Honestly yes I do feel Rodgers could have won 1 trophy in the 4 years after he left had he spent a further £300m on his squad. He’s doing alright at Leicester now so will be interesting to see how his managerial career progresses.  But it’s all about opinions and I appreciate mine here will be in the minority 

18 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

I think you are uderating the impact Klopp has made, liverpool are in the running now for a long time, it is t about him only just winning a trophy it needed to start somewhere. 

Btw. I think I pulled the stats up about how much money  was actually spent in Klopp era so far but it saves me dragging it up if you have a look at this link. 

https://www.anfield-online.co.uk/stats/jurgen-klopp-lfc-transfer-signings.html

net spend under 70 million for his entire duration. 

Yes it’s “only” a net loss of £70m, but the point still stands that to create this special team it has cost £400m in incomings. Personally if I was a supporter and my team was spending that on players the least I would expect is 1 trophy in 4 years from whoever the manager was. 

Not denying Klopp is clearly a good manager, but I’d be more impressed if he hadn’t spent so much money on players. 

Rodgers getting Leicester into 3rd seems like more of an achievement right now 

5 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Not sure your understanding what he’s done. He’s spent less than 70 million in his time there and created a team capable of winning the champions league and challenging the richest club in the world with the best squad and manager in the world arguably. 

I’m not sure your getting the concept of net spend mate. 

Leicester spent 94 million on 4 players this summer and luckily recouped some of it back through the absurd Harry maguire sale     

Im guessing next season alone Leicester and Rodgers if he is still there will spend more than 70 million net. in one transfer window and very much doubt they will be challenging for regular major titles. 

Your comment  about not spending so much on players means nothing because he hasn’t. 

Your post is ironic as I’ve worked in two accountants dept. in my time (so I know full well about net spend).

Anyway, it’s clear you are not understanding my point. To put it in a way you may understand, you feel that Liverpool would be justified in losing in games to a Villa or Leicester squad as their net spend is greater, right? 

Edited by Owls-Fan

You genuinely cant compare Klopp to Rodgers. I like Brendan Rodgers as a manager, he made Liverpool relevant again after the Hodgson debacle and made Celtic unbeatable in Scotland. He's now doing a good job at Leicester, although he did inherit a very good squad of young talent there. However, Klopp has taken Liverpool to a different level. Man City probably have the greatest squad ever assembled in English football but Liverpool have gotten closer to them than anyone should be able to. 

The money thing is irrelevant now. How much have Man Untied spent to be decidedly average? Villa have spent £100m+, Fulham did too last year. Premier League clubs make so much money that they know they can spend incredible amounts on average players and it doesn't have any effect on their financial position. It's not how much you spend but who you buy and Liverpool have brought very good players to fit into a specific system. Klopp has then made those players better than they were.