Megastore pftttt

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

The manufacturing of the kits is just part of it, it’s about creating experience for people to keep coming back, to keep spending, 

the person in charge imo is doing a shocking job, forget the thing about these socks because it’s way more important than just this one issue.

the customer experience in the shop and buying online is horrific, there’s a couple of nice polite ladies in the shop but the service, the solutions to problems, we get it wrong so many times on this side of the business. 

Im not going to get into the ins and outs again about some very small things they could implement on the web sales side because I passed on some feedback to them about that already. But It would improve impulse buying and all leading retailers use the simple add on. 

The thing is and i have had this conversation to death, we have a loyal fan base of probably 15/22k and those fans will accept any old poo, mainly because we are addicted and are fans, they could set fire to us whilst stood in the shop and we would still buy something be it a ticket or merch. 

If however we ever want to grow, and improve and maximise revenue, then service must be much better because it’s the little things that are done wrong that make most people ( non loyal fans, potential new or floating fans) not come back and spend. 

We have to get the

experience and service side right. 

I completely agree with the final statement - we do have to get it right - but from what I can see (I live nowhere near Sheffield so I don't go into the store in person) the improvement over the last year or two is clear. There are some minor issues here and there - but by and large most people are now getting the products they want, aren't they? The kit thing is a huge deal - it must be the most important merchandise item of all - and as I understand this release has gone very well, save for a couple of very minor hitches.

What about the customer experience of buying online is horrific? I ordered two new shirts (1x home, 1x away) and two books (at a discount) on Thursday: I had no problems at all on the website, the payment went through smoothly, and all arrived in good time with no problems. In fact, I can't remember ever having any problems with the online store whenever I've tried to order anything.

13 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Would you walk i to a icecream shop and pay £5 for 99. 

But then only receive a cone and a flake????  

Lads, the club is missing a trick here. 

** £5 for a 99 **

Practically a license to print money !

Does DC know about this lucrative opportunity? 

I'm in the wrong job.

I need to do what Roland does or become an ice cream man

lol

45 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

You really don’t get the consumer experience at all do you? 

In a world where more and more more options are available to buy items sport related if we don’t get the basics right people won’t just keep returning, you have no idea how much we lose from poor service, the fact it isn’t a one off service is exactly why it needs to be right so people do come back and spend.  

you don't get the point on the whole, this is the megastore not a chain of sports shops that will rely on improving the buyer's experience to compete against other retailers. There's not a footfall competition. You're not going to say I can't buy a Wednesday full kit so I'll get a Barnsley one instead as they have them in stock. People will return no matter what because it's their club. 

No doubt the club shop is trying to improve the experience but it takes time to implement change and even longer to change attitudes.

22 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Not opening up the online can of worms but loads of problems and still is. 

I just don't see the improvement your talking about, all I hear is people getting bad service. It’s a little thing to most I know but the launch of the kit being literally just after owls in the park, it might not mean a. Lot to most people but we would have sold much more if it was done correctly. 

It is what it is, I don’t think we put any effort into the retail side, and I do t think it will change even though it needs too 

You honestly can't see the difference between a kit's designs not being made public until a few days before the start of the season and it not being available to buy for months, and being able to see it (and with a decent marketing concept) in July and being made available straight away and in almost all sizes and versions? I suppose I was wrong to assume that people could actually see that night-and-day difference.

On the OITP issue, what do you think the club should've done instead? Do you think the club actually chose to launch the kit after OITP?

19 hours ago, mdogg20 said:

There's a level of just not caring with some retail side staff in the shop. Other week I wanted a new polo shirt but had thrown my season ticket card away as I was expecting a new one. The old bird with long hair on the counter said I had to buy a new card for £10 to get my points, I told her I wasn't paying £10 when I should get a new card annually for what I pay in sponsorship. She huffed at me so I asked her did she want to lose a £30 sale for a 10p card as I would walk if she charged me - to which she said I needed to speak to the ticket side but I would have to pay for a card. The good lady on ticket counter quick as a flash said no problems and gave me a new card. Common sense and good customer service prevailed, whereas the retail side would have let me walk and lose income.

"the old bird with long hair":duntmatter:

9 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Ofc I get the point, but your wrong, it does make a difference. There are floating fans, potential new fans, relatives of fans who don’t yet support anyone who might be enticed to buy now or in future if the service and experience is good. 

now that’s ignoring the other fact that if the experience is good for the fans that will buy the kit regardless, they might just come back and spend more than they would if the service is crap.   

Oh btw, if we build our model on fizz it they will buy anyway they have too, then we are on a very slippery road because loyalty does wear out eventually

I cant believe I’m actually explaining this. I’m out of this thread, I wouldn’t mind but I’m sticking up for a guy I don’t even like......

you can't continue to labour a point that is out of context, declare people's opinions are wrong and then duck out! The retail side doesn't influence "floating voters" and potential supporters, the football side does. As for your point about loyalty, true fans don't go away because a retail offering is crap otherwise no-one would support 50% of EFL clubs and probably all of non league. 

I can't believe you're explaining this.

Oh and btw if you are out of this thread, thanks for showing us what a fool you are, although your 372 (and growing) neg points already demonstrate that.

Ta

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

Sometimes there are problems with manufacture and supply. It happens to most businesses sometimes. That's life, unfortunately. Everything should be available and I bet the club did everything it could to resolve the issue, but sometimes things are out of their hands.

I work for a creative agency whose main client is one of the biggest and best-known sportswear brands on the planet. They regularly have product miss its original release date. All it takes is one tiny issue somewhere along the chain and it can have a knock-on effect.

Presumably there was some minor hitch somewhere - perhaps some material became damaged or something - in the production line of our kits and it may have been decided that the socks in the kiddie kits would have to be the item that comes last. This is just an assumption of course, but given the enormous improvement we've seen from our retail department in the last year or so, I'd be prepared to give them some margin for error.

How come we have a problem with manufacture and supply every year?!

15 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Are you seriously using the kit being launched relatively on time as a marker against last seasons fiasco?  

Again that’s the basics, and get the timings right, it doesn’t matter what the aims were once again a huge chance to maximise spend has gone.  

What could we do different? Get things released on time and for key launch dates where it could be sold to maximise volumes, that’s the job of the consumer division of the club.

now improvements on the kit side and delivery dates is a gimme. It couldn’t have been any worse. 

is It better than launching it 6 months late? Ofc it is but it’s still not right, far from it. 

As for the kit sizes already heard rumblings about sizing issues again but I haven’t commented on that as I have t gone for mine yet. 

But once again, your taking the conversation away from my main points, the bits that can be fixed and fixed easily is the service, and customer care, and I will state again, on that side I have seen nothing to convince me that it is improving. 

On my question regarding OITP: you said you worked in retail, didn't you (forgive me if you didn't but I thought I read that somewhere)? You suggested the club hadn't done things correctly. I'd like to know exactly what things you would've done - that you know the club did not do - that would've guaranteed the kits would've been released for OITP.

15 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Ofc I get the point, but your wrong, it does make a difference. There are floating fans, potential new fans, relatives of fans who don’t yet support anyone who might be enticed to buy now or in future if the service and experience is good. 

now that’s ignoring the other fact that if the experience is good for the fans that will buy the kit regardless, they might just come back and spend more than they would if the service is crap.   

Oh btw, if we build our model on fizz it they will buy anyway they have too, then we are on a very slippery road because loyalty does wear out eventually

I cant believe I’m actually explaining this. I’m out of this thread, I wouldn’t mind but I’m sticking up for a guy I don’t even like......

tumblr_mufcz1wr3w1qzerjgo1_500.gif

2 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

How come we have a problem with manufacture and supply every year?!

I don't have insider knowledge of the companies that the club have to deal with so I can't answer that with certainty, but I imagine it's the same as with the brands that my company works with: as I said before, the process is a (usually very long) chain so the slightest glitch can have a knock-on effect. Certainly in the 15 years I've worked in this industry I can't remember a production process that we were aware of ever going perfectly smoothly without any hitches (we've worked in the design of, but only observed, the manufacture of products). The issue is to the different degrees of the hitch or hitches: the year before last the hitches were - for whatever reason - catastrophic and led to extremely late kits across the board. This year it's led to a hold-up in children's socks and number printing. In my opinion, that's a huge improvement in the process.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Ah the old neg points brilliant sir. 

Loyalty of buying does go away, when you get poor service you tend to buy less or do you think all the market research that goes into consumer spending and marketing is pointless?  

Maybe we we should just stick with your theory of our fans will buy it anyway, it would seem you have nailed it and all the money spent on generating data and abc markets and return vs new spend and marketing etc is all pointless. 

Like I said I will leave it here because your knowledge is far too superior for me to carry on in this debate, especially because my neg rate lol 

At least we agree on one thing

44 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

So by your reckoning, because it is a cornered market then good service is out of the window?

Are you Dave Allen?

True fans don’t go away, I agree. Should we then forget about the casual fans because their money and support is inferior. Would it not be better to give good customer service to all and convert the floating fans to true fans?

Where did I say this? I actually said that while I'm sure these things are trying to be implemented, it takes time.

I'm not Dave Allen, no! Strange question...

Can you quantify the difference between a true fan and casual fan? I don't believe that any fan changes their support status because of the retail offering. Not sure where inferior money and support comes into it? You're just throwing out of context variables into your argument because it isn't strong enough. Don't forget this was an issue about the club asking fans to collect socks a few days later once they had been delivered, a relatively small issue on the face of things.

41 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Ok I get that, I have agreed with that a few times already, things go wrong, and yes it’s an improvement on the manufacturing end, although let’s be honest it couldn’t have got any worse. 

But you say you work for an agency so you as much as anyone should appreciate the value of getting the product to launch to maximise the marketing and events.  

Companies pay pay a fortune to have events to attract the customer baseto spend and get the core customers to attend.

we have for the 2nd year now had no kit to sell at a event with thousands of our target audience. 

In a consumer world of selling that’s criminal. 

But again, I didn’t talk about that until you did.  

My main bone of contention is with the persistent lack of service and customer care that side have the business have shown which doesn’t seem to improve. 

I will also again reiterate my point, when things go wrong, put them right, it might have been a small problem but you can make it the experience for the customer a bit better by/offering something other than take it or leave it.  

Do you know the sales figures for OITP compared to an in-store launch?

2 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

You said it was a cornered market here Doug!

It was you that suggested ‘true fans’ will return therefore you define what a true fan is.

Good customer service should be provided as standard irrespective of wether or not ‘People will return no matter what because it's their club’

All points taken out of context.

Firstly to suggest that retail influences whether a fan will remain loyal to their club or not is ludicrous, we all know the football on offer decides that.

Also my point about people returning to their club was around not having to compete with anyone offering the same product as you would with a bunch of retailers that sell similar products. The fact that people will return to their club is because it's their club and would indicate that their return to the club shop to collect socks at a later date would not be an issue. At no point have I suggested that the service levels don't matter. 

Looks to me like you're supporting your buddy as you seem to like all his posts and neg all those in opposition.

Nice try!

18 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Not exactly good customer service though is it? Expecting people to part with £50 for half the product As for the numbers, seems the best time to have these ready is when people are literally in the store buying the kit. I wager most wont bother now. 

Oh,  Come on!! FFS.

A pair of children's socks = half the junior kit.?WTF:

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, dazaston said:

They didn’t have them

in the old shop either 

17BF02A9-596D-4D32-9599-09D2117FC189.jpeg

And mi dad said "WHAT....£1 bloody 20 for a T-shirt !!  Tha'll have to wait till thi birthday.

(Bet the gold and silver bracelets and necklaces wern't hallmarked :rolleyes:)

22 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Ok calm down. It's pisspoor all round. Socks should have been sorted rather than selling part of a kit. Tinpot. I got no sorry or thank you from the miserable assistant. Why wait till the very latest to send memberships all at once.

If it weren't for us supporters willing to put up with it because it's 'Wednesday', it would have closed long ago.

I'm not one for bashing club usually but I spend enough there to be treated better. My choice. My moan.

I've heard Lee Davies went in and was refused socks, so he demanded the entire first team squad came to the megastore, clapped every single fan in there and gave them the socks off their feet to show appreciation.

• Haha 1