Stats.

This season under Jos :-

P 22 - W 6 - D 6 - L 10 - GF 26 - GA 40

GD -14 - CS 2 - Pts 24

Since Jos Left :-

P 22 - W 10 - D 9 - L 3 - GF 30 - GA 17

GD 13 - CS 12 - Pts 39

To say it’s quite a contrast is an understatement.

• Thanks 1

So if we had the same form spread over 44 games we would be on 78 points currently, which would stick us in 4th. It shows how well Bruce has done and what could happen with a good pre-season this summer. Bruce seems like a cracking hire. If we can just leave him to the job i think eventually he will get us up. Might take 1 year, might take 3-5, but i can't think of anyone else better to get us up eventually.

• Like 1

The Championship form table since Jos left (Villa have had to win the last 10 in a row to get above us in it, and they were bloody lucky to beat us as part of that run) :

# Club   W D L Goals +/- Pts
1 Sheffield United Sheffield Utd. 22 14 6 2 39:13 26 48
2 Norwich City Norwich 22 12 8 2 49:29 20 44
3 Aston Villa Aston Villa 22 12 6 4 37:24 13 42
4 Sheffield Wednesday Sheff Wed 22 10 9 3 28:17 11 39
5 West Bromwich Albion West Brom   22 11 5 6 38:27 11 38
6 Leeds United Leeds 22 12 1 9 34:28 6 37
7 Brentford FC Brentford 22 10 6 6 36:25 11 36
8 Bristol City Bristol City 21 10 6 5 29:23 6 36
9 Hull City Hull City 22 11 3 8 40:35 5 36
10 Preston North End Preston NE 22 9 5 8 29:24 5 32
11 Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough 22 9 4 9 21:23 -2 31
12 Swansea City Swansea   21 9 3 9 33:33 0 30
13 Derby County Derby 21 7 8 6 32:28 4 29
14 Birmingham City Birmingham 22 7 7 8 31:30 1 28
15 Blackburn Rovers Blackburn   22 9 1 12 32:32 0 28
16 Reading FC Reading 22 6 9 7 21:29 -8 27
17 Nottingham Forest Nottm Forest 22 7 4 11 27:32 -5 25
18 Millwall FC Millwall 21 6 6 9 19:23 -4 24
19 Wigan Athletic Wigan   22 5 8 9 26:33 -7 23
20 Stoke City Stoke City   22 4 10 8 14:23 -9 22
21 Rotherham United Rotherham   22 4 6 12 28:46 -18 18
22 Queens Park Rangers QPR 22 4 5 13 24:37 -13 17
23 Ipswich Town Ipswich 22 2 8 12 15:36 -21 14
24 Bolton Wanderers Bolton 22 4 2 16 14:46 -32 14

• Thanks 2

If a team goes on a good run it gains momentum and I think over prolonged period our return would go up slightly. this is because boss gets to know players and players understand what is required far better. I could not see reading holding us to a draw in last month for example.

55 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

GD -14 - CS 2 - Pts 24

GD 13 - CS 12 - Pts 39

I got the goals for wrong under Jos. It’s actually 28 goals scored. So the GD was - 12 and Not -14.

As @alanharper’s table shows we’ve also scored 28 since and have a GD of 11.

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

GD -14 - CS 2 - Pts 24

GD 13 - CS 12 - Pts 39

Even more impressive if you add back two points Norwich didn’t deserve, Two WBA and two Villa robbed  off us! 

29 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I got the goals for wrong under Jos. It’s actually 28 goals scored. So the GD was - 12 and Not -14.

As @alanharper’s table shows we’ve also scored 28 since and have a GD of 11.

I find these stats very interesting, but please ignore my ignorance when I ask what CS represents?

42 minutes ago, SwissOwl8200 said:

Clean sheets, innit?  Took me a while too

Yes, of course.

But when you've almost qualified for the O.B.E. (Over Bloody Eighty), you tend not to grasp these things.  In fact you tend not to grasp anything at all !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

GD -14 - CS 2 - Pts 24

GD 13 - CS 12 - Pts 39

I’m a big SB fan, but the point shouldn’t be lost that during the cricket sabbatical, our form was  also much better than under Jos. It’s scary the guy with the tash  actually had supporters. 

He turned us into a laughing stock. 

Edited by Pale Rider

Guest Hirst1867
11 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I’m a big SB fan, but the point shouldn’t be lost that during the cricket sabbatical, our form was  also much better than under Jos. It’s scary the guy with the tash  actually had supporters. 

Yes - has anybody heard from DJ Mortimer at all?

11 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

After we beat Bristol City, we were 6th with 19 points from 12 games. In the last 10 games of the previous season, we picked up 19. So we'd picked up 38 points from the previous 22 games. And we were promoting youth too, which Carlos had been criticised for not doing. All this despite (or, with regard to youth, because of) a transfer embargo. Of course, prior to that our initial form under Jos was relegation form, but after that Bristol City game he certainly seemed to have turned things around. Incidentally, despite the lack of clean sheets we also had a positive goal difference. Unfortunately, it turned out that we were in the middle of a period of 11 games, none of which we would have expected to win. Notably, we ran into both QPR and Birmingham when they were on form, and were then walloped by Norwich after a shocking second-half performance. That meant we'd lost the last 4 games and slumped to 17th in the table. Not only did we still not have any clean sheets, we'd started conceding hatfuls. Suddenly, playing youth seemed at best naive. A 0-0 draw at the Pigs was a relief more than anything, but this was followed by another defeat, at home to Derby, our 5th tough home game in a row (following Leeds, West Brom, Boro and Norwich). After this, we finally had an easy game, at home to Bolton, and won, but hardly convincingly. Our form was still poor, so it was hardly a surprise that we lost the next two away games, which sandwiched a draw at home to Rotherham where we were also rubbish. Furthermore, having finally managed a couple of clean sheets, we were now conceding badly again, and of course things came to a head.

I think there are a lot of 'what ifs' with Jos. What if we'd held on v West Brom? What if Tom Lees hadn't made such an uncharacteristic mistake v Middlesbrough? What if it hadn't taken us so long to keep a clean sheet? What if the fixture list had not thrown us such a run of difficult games? To be sure, Steve Bruce looks like a big improvement right now. But there was a time when Jos looked like the answer too.

Think Bruce is a really good manager at this level but we cant just expect this seasons current form to carry on automatically next season.

A lot depends on the coming and goings this summer, always a good chance with a lot of player turnover things will take a few months to bed in.

We had a good run for last couple of months this season and it all went sour.

40 minutes ago, Sova said:

After we beat Bristol City, we were 6th with 19 points from 12 games. In the last 10 games of the previous season, we picked up 19. So we'd picked up 38 points from the previous 22 games. And we were promoting youth too, which Carlos had been criticised for not doing. All this despite (or, with regard to youth, because of) a transfer embargo. Of course, prior to that our initial form under Jos was relegation form, but after that Bristol City game he certainly seemed to have turned things around. Incidentally, despite the lack of clean sheets we also had a positive goal difference. Unfortunately, it turned out that we were in the middle of a period of 11 games, none of which we would have expected to win. Notably, we ran into both QPR and Birmingham when they were on form, and were then walloped by Norwich after a shocking second-half performance. That meant we'd lost the last 4 games and slumped to 17th in the table. Not only did we still not have any clean sheets, we'd started conceding hatfuls. Suddenly, playing youth seemed at best naive. A 0-0 draw at the Pigs was a relief more than anything, but this was followed by another defeat, at home to Derby, our 5th tough home game in a row (following Leeds, West Brom, Boro and Norwich). After this, we finally had an easy game, at home to Bolton, and won, but hardly convincingly. Our form was still poor, so it was hardly a surprise that we lost the next two away games, which sandwiched a draw at home to Rotherham where we were also rubbish. Furthermore, having finally managed a couple of clean sheets, we were now conceding badly again, and of course things came to a head.

I think there are a lot of 'what ifs' with Jos. What if we'd held on v West Brom? What if Tom Lees hadn't made such an uncharacteristic mistake v Middlesbrough? What if it hadn't taken us so long to keep a clean sheet? What if the fixture list had not thrown us such a run of difficult games? To be sure, Steve Bruce looks like a big improvement right now. But there was a time when Jos looked like the answer too.

What if he'd picked the senior players he'd fallen out with

2 hours ago, Sova said:

You are right of course, but being right isn't relevant in this case.

History is written at the end of the war not in the middle and that's when we will ultimately judge Bruce too. 

As Napoleon allegedly said, dont give me good generals, give me lucky generals.

9 hours ago, Sova said:

Always judge a team by performance not result. That is the true measure of your long term future.