Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, swfc.4.ever said:

its part and parcel of the the role they are in. many of the bookings are professional fouls to break up play.

Correct. And its something we dont do enough of, which costs us points every season. WBA last season for example. 

We need game management. Awareness and experience. 

Even if its from the bench to see us thru to full time it could earn us a few extra points over the season.

One point about some folk saying its not the right signing in terms of age/ sell on value etc, were not brentford. Yes we would like to do what they do, but we are always looking as a club, to get promotion. Not every signing will be with an eye on the future. Some are to get us where we wanna be this season.

Bruce wants promotion this year make no mistake. So on that basis some of the signings need to be for the here and now, even if its an old guy with use for only 1 season. We are trying to get up.

So are brentford, but its fair to say they arent in the same rush as us and would look upon it more as a bonus if it happened now. 

Edited by GY-owl.4

7 hours ago, jamese said:

Who’s picked up the most cards over the past 4 seasons - Cattermole or Bannan?

Thats not a fare comparison, how about who scored more goals :ph34r:

Only being facetious here but you can’t call Cattermole out for not scoring enough, when he scored as many as our most creative player. Calling him out for getting carded is ridiculous as it’s a byproduct of his job. 

Whilst m not his biggest fan theirs no doubt in several of the last few seasons key games we could have used his skill set to get a bit of a handle on those games instead of being overrun. 

7 hours ago, jamese said:

Only in the fact that you said Cattermole has a terrible disciplinary record. When Bannan’s is actually worse.

On that basis, you must want us to get rid of Bannan

Yeah, I want us to get rid of our most creative player this decade. Whilst you'd like us to sign a player who has been synonymous with failure.

I've only been coming on here for 2 years, but you win the prize for for the dumbest football comment I've heard on Owlstalk.

Well done.

1 minute ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Cattermole would be an absolute sh**show of a signing. He is the sort of player we would have signed in the Stuart Gray era. 

I trust Bruce, he knows better than me, but I'd be amazed if he can't find somebody better than this. If the unthinkable happened, surely it's as a back up player.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yeah, I want us to get rid of our most creative player this decade. Whilst you'd like us to sign a player who has been synonymous with failure.

I've only been coming on here for 2 years, but you win the prize for for the dumbest football comment I've heard on Owlstalk.

Well done.

All I was simply pointing out was that Bannan has a worse disciplinary record than Cattermole, and that was one of your main reasons for us not signing him.

As has been pointed out, the role Cattermole plays, picking up cards is part and parcel of the job. Simple question for me, who would I prefer in the squad - Cattermole or Pelupessy 

27 minutes ago, jamese said:

All I was simply pointing out was that Bannan has a worse disciplinary record than Cattermole, and that was one of your main reasons for us not signing him.

As has been pointed out, the role Cattermole plays, picking up cards is part and parcel of the job. Simple question for me, who would I prefer in the squad - Cattermole or Pelupessy 

Who said it was my main reason for not signing him. 

And comparing a creative player who had to play out of position for 18 months to a destructive player who captained his team to successive relegations isn't a comparison. Compare him to someone who is the same role, with the same attributes.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

8 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Are you seriously comparing Bannan to Cattermole.  Compare apples to pears and you sound Bananas.

The reaction on here to his signing pretty much mirrors the one to Bannan.  Can we use that to compare them?

13 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

The reaction on here to his signing pretty much mirrors the one to Bannan.  Can we use that to compare them?

I only started coming on here in 2017 so I've no idea what was said about Bannan arrival.

But I know Bannan is an attacking midfielder, who when on song can be a match winner.

The other bloke is Lee Cattermole. 

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Who said it was my main reason for not signing him. 

And comparing a creative player who had to play out of position for 18 months to a destructive player who captained his team to successive relegations isn't a comparison. Compare him to someone who is the same role, with the same attributes.

You said he was ‘slow, doesn’t score many and has a terrible disciplinary record’. I’d interpret that as those are the main 3 reasons you didn’t want him, or else why say it? 

5 minutes ago, jamese said:

You said he was ‘slow, doesn’t score many and has a terrible disciplinary record’. I’d interpret that as those are the main 3 reasons you didn’t want him, or else why say it? 

1. It's interesting that you didn't challenge the first 2 points I made in that comment.

2. You compared him to a player who plays a different role. 

3. The player you compared him to is creative and scores goals in this league.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

1. It's interesting that you didn't challenge the first 2 points I made in that comment.

2. You compared him to a player who plays a different role. 

3. The player you compared him to is creative and scores goals in this league.

Someone has already pointed out he scored 7 goals last season - pretty steady for a defensive midfielder.

With regards him being slow, I can’t comment on that, as ive not seen him enough to pass judgment. Like I’d imagine most of our fan base haven’t 

Edited by jamese

9 minutes ago, jamese said:

Someone has already pointed out he scored 7 goals last season - pretty steady for a defensive midfielder.

With regards him being slow, I can’t comment on that, as ive not seen him enough to pass judgment. Like I’d imagine most of our fan base haven’t 

7 goals is pretty steady. In league one. How many has he scored in higher leagues over his career. 

Next ?

Problem with potential injury prone defensive midfield players that are   "non-90 mins" in the starting eleven.....it  limits the bench options as you pick 2 replacements straight away.............then when you need to freshen up the attack............snookered !!!...

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I only started coming on here in 2017 so I've no idea what was said about Bannan arrival.

But I know Bannan is an attacking midfielder, who when on song can be a match winner.

The other bloke is Lee Cattermole. 

There you go....

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

7 goals is pretty steady. In league one. How many has he scored in higher leagues over his career. 

Next ?

Not sure why a goal scoring record is important for a defensive midfielder, but each to their own.

Although seeing as it’s important to you, he has scored more goals than each of our main 2 central midfielders during his career.

For the record, I’m in no way stating we should get rid of Bannan, alongside Westwood, hes the main part of our team.