VAR from fair

2 minutes ago, Whitecap Owl said:

MLS has had VAR for 1 1/2 seasons.   There are very strict rules as to how it's applied (there are ...  The ref gets to decide if he wants to go to the review TV..   The ref gets to watch the video (not some mystery VAR team)...  The final decision rests with the match referee ...   The review can only take place in an obvious and clear error (which I don't think today's call was)...

I am 100% in favour of the MLS system - I am NOT happy with the way the decision was made today...

Here's an excerpt from the MLS rule book:

The final decision on any play during a match, including whether to conduct a Video Review, rests with the head referee. The VAR may recommend a Video Review to the head referee if there is a potential clear and obvious error on one of four (4) match-changing situations: (1) goals, (2) penalty kicks, (3) straight red cards and (4) cases of mistaken identity. These are the only reviewable plays in a match.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video-review/faq

1 minute ago, edmontonowl said:

In the World Cup the ref went over to the side of the pitch to watch a replay. This doesn't happen in the UK right now

See my post below yours... MLS does it the right way (ref makes the call by watching it on the video box) ... the FA Cup system - NOT the way to go...  

Im not against VAR as such,but you simply can not pick n choose where its used,either it is or isnt available throughout the competition.

Im against these stuttered run ups for penalties as well wasnt it outlawed some time ago? The run up should be continuous and any stop or shimmy should be deemed foul play

2 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

It's also apparent that the rules that govern the use of VAR are not understood by teams and coaches, as Agnew said in his interview and some on here have questioned, regarding the drop-ball and no corner situation

I like var..it's improved cricket and rugby no end.

The players and coaches will have to get their heads round it.

I'm going to be careful what I say here.... when I see the system used well it enhances the sport.... I never want to see an honourable man reduced by fury like Mike Gatting in India....or something that went off with the foul count at Hillsborough ever happen again.

Guest Jack the Hat

Correct decision but bloody typical. First half hour of our first VAR game and we get a pen ruled out in a game we needed any luck just to stand a chance. With them getting a pen the other end it was a two goal swing! Mind you we were bobbins after that.

VAR takes out the skill of  a defender with a nudge here and a pull there. 

It gives another skill to the attacker of falling over correctly as we saw in the world cup.

Personally I prefer the old method of defender gets under the attackers skin with all his tricks rather the attacker knowing he is untouchable. It is another step of taking the tackle out of the game. OK SH gave away the pen today but who doesn't love seeing him diving in and winning the ball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I like var..it's improved cricket and rugby no end.

The players and coaches will have to get their heads round it.

I'm going to be careful what I say here.... when I see the system used well it enhances the sport.... I never want to see an honourable man reduced by fury like Mike Gatting in India....or something that went off with the foul count at Hillsborough ever happen again.

We've had these discussions before but for me I struggle with the application of VAR when it ends up creating debate around opinions, as opposed to making clear, black & white decisions.

Goal-line technology proves the ball crosses the line or not. It looks across a single plane at a 0 degree angle.

VAR judging offside relies on cameras that are not at the same angle to play as the linesman, for example. Decisions about penalties can be hit or miss. Some are proven, some are vague (not really today)

Cricket and rugby have different playing dynamics with respect to the positions/movement of players and officials and situations are easier to judge than in football. IMO.

My jury's still out but is struggling with the present application of the system

3 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

We've had these discussions before but for me I struggle with the application of VAR when it ends up creating debate around opinions, as opposed to making clear, black & white decisions.

Goal-line technology proves the ball crosses the line or not. It looks across a single plane at a 0 degree angle.

VAR judging offside relies on cameras that are not at the same angle to play as the linesman, for example. Decisions about penalties can be hit or miss. Some are proven, some are vague (not really today)

Cricket and rugby have different playing dynamics with respect to the positions/movement of players and officials and situations are easier to judge than in football. IMO.

My jury's still out but is struggling with the present application of the system

I accept your general point.. but rugby and football are similar imo.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

I accept your general point.. but rugby and football are similar imo.

I'm not a big rugby watcher but what I have seen is that video replay is used for deciding whether tries are valid or not, just like goal-line technology.

Is video used to determine offside, for instance, and pull play back?

With cricket, I can see value in run-outs. Again that's an across the line or not situation. LBW's tho' can sometimes seem dubious

4 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

I'm not a big rugby watcher but what I have seen is that video replay is used for deciding whether tries are valid or not, just like goal-line technology.

Is video used to determine offside, for instance, and pull play back?

With cricket, I can see value in run-outs. Again that's an across the line or not situation. LBW's tho' can sometimes seem dubious

No..the rugby var is very nuanced..it's largely driven by the ref but it's a two way street.

Overall, IMO it's application in football under the present testing situation has been poorly thought through and implemented.

It's a good job whoever's responsible aren't involved with the trials of life-saving drugs or we'd all be 6 feet under now!

4 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Absolute total disgrace that the FA allows the "lovely money" Premiership clubs to use VAR but no-one else.

Regardless of whether the technology is only available to them or not.

If it's not available for one then it shouldn't be available at all.

Totally unfair, but then, who cares as long as the "big glamour clubs" win eh ;-)   

I agree completely. However I just do not understand how they are making such a simple thing so complicated. All games (even non league) get recorded in some way nowadays, it literally takes one man to look at a tv and say yes or no. It's nots hard! Let the 4th official do it, as he does flip all anyway! They don't need 7 refs to all be In a special office somewhere down town ffs! just put a monitor on side of pitch, look at the decision, yes or no, done. 

14 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

The real tragedy of VAR to atmospheres will not be the goals that it rules out. It will be the goals that it doesn't rule out.

The goals that are legitimate, are verified VAR and upheld, but that look at all questionable as they are scored.

The real joy of football are the moments (without VAR) where the ball hits the net, a flag is not up, and fans and players can celebrate in the certainty that it is a goal. No other sport can come close to moments like that. Even a 0-0 can be exciting, because of the promise that moment is coming.

If you damage those moments with the uncertainty of a wait, and it not even being clear when that wait is over and that you can be sure that it is a goal, I think you are damaging far more than people currently realise.

Edited by sturutter

You can't have VAR helping Chelsea out with a poor penalty decision at Stamford Bridge, but VAR's absence at the Den denying Everton that same 'fairness'. For Cup competitions, VAR should be switched off for fixtures at Prem grounds, thereby levelling the field for all teams.

The issue here is that VAR should lead to correct decisions being made and teams not suffering as a result of VAR. Unfortunately we suffered as a result of VAR. If ref hadn’t given the penalty then it’s a corner to us and they probably don’t go straight up other end and win a penalty. So ok, the ref makes a mistake that VAR then corrects but why on earth should the restart be an uncontested dropball? As a direct consequence of this they go and get a pen at other end. Therefore the use of VAR whilst preventing a wrong decision worked against us.