VAR from fair

1 minute ago, Maxine said:

No im saying some teams would benefit and some wouldn't so its  not fair im saying it should.be the same for all games in a competition. 

I know what you're saying. There's just no basis for it. VAR just improved the % of decisions that are correct- as does having a better standard of officials.

How does that make anything unfair?

How does that benefit a particular team in a particular tie?

How does that improve/decrease a team's chances of winning a football match?

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I know what you're saying. There's just no basis for it. VAR just improved the % of decisions that are correct- as does having a better standard of officials.

How does that make anything unfair?

How does that benefit a particular team in a particular tie?

How does that improve/decrease a team's chances of winning a football match?

Same rules should apply to all in a competition that's it.

Anything else is unfair. I'm ok that you disagree with that. 

6 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Again, makes no sense. It's the same for both teams in each tie.

it's not about one tie it's about winning the cup …..everton are capable of winning the cup but because VAR  wasn't available at there game they went out ...just maybe if the pen today had stood things would have turned out different for Chelsea …...I like VAR  it gets the right decisions but if it can decide one 4th round tie and not another then that cant be a level playing field .

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

it's not about one tie it's about winning the cup …..everton are capable of winning the cup but because VAR  wasn't available at there game they went out ...just maybe if the pen today had stood things would have turned out different for Chelsea …...I like VAR  it gets the right decisions but if it can decide one 4th round tie and not another then that cant be a level playing field .

At what point in the FA Cup do you decide everything has to be exactly the same? 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

Exactly. All or none of the ties.  That's the fair bit. Not ours was over ruled and theirs stood. No one is questioning why var was only used at prem grounds!

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Same for both sides.

Should Andre Marriner ref the Dog and Duck in the first qualifying round, as he's less likely to make dodgy decisions than the local man with whistle?

But not ours, not Evertons because var was used in one not the other. That's the fair bit. If var is to used, it should be for fixtures.

It should be at all games or none at all, ok VAR worked today as the right decision was given after originally being wrong but surely it can be argued the eventual winner of the competition could be decided by sides falling the right or wrong side of VAR availability. Had it been in operation at Millwall yesterday Everton would almost certainly have been still in the cup, that’s a much harder test than whoever draws Millwall will face, conversely if it hadn’t been available today we most likely go a goal up and the change in the course of the game means they don’t get a penalty okay we may have still lost but who knows and I’m sure everyone left in it would rather play us than the holders. For me the integrity of the competition is affected 

Just another nail in the coffin for the sport.

another bit of potential excitement snuffed our.

were playing against a side with infinite resources and with zero chance but you never know we might get lucky.

no - cos some bloke in stockley Park will snuff it out in an instant - so so boring....

8 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. As long as individual games are player fairly, I don't see the issue.

But all the rounds games weren't fair. Some had the advantage of var to decide if the initial decision was correct. 

The decision tonight could have affected the result as it proved it didn't at millwall

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I don't really see the issue. As long as it's fair for the teams in an individual game I don't see why it matters that it's not available elsewhere. The reality is the lower you go down the pyramid, the worse the officials are. This is just an extension of that.

So Everton are at the lower end of the pyramid 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Had Everton been at home, VAR would've been present. If Everton were 2-1 up and then Millwall "scored" like they did on Saturday, the "goal" would've been ruled out.

Of course, if that game finished 2-2, then a replay at Goodison would've had VAR. So it makes no sense  to have different refereeing tools across the 2 games.

All teams involved should be treated the same

Edited by edmontonowl

MLS has had VAR for 1 1/2 seasons.   There are very strict rules as to how it's applied (there are ...  The ref gets to decide if he wants to go to the review TV..   The ref gets to watch the video (not some mystery VAR team)...  The final decision rests with the match referee ...   The review can only take place in an obvious and clear error (which I don't think today's call was)...

I am 100% in favour of the MLS system - I am NOT happy with the way the decision was made today...

Here's an excerpt from the MLS rule book:

The final decision on any play during a match, including whether to conduct a Video Review, rests with the head referee. The VAR may recommend a Video Review to the head referee if there is a potential clear and obvious error on one of four (4) match-changing situations: (1) goals, (2) penalty kicks, (3) straight red cards and (4) cases of mistaken identity. These are the only reviewable plays in a match.

1 minute ago, edmontonowl said:

Had Everton been at home, VAR would've been present. If Everton were 2-1 up and then Millwall "scored" like they did on Saturday, the "goal" would've been ruled out.

Of course, if that game finished 2-2, then a replay at Goodison would've had VAR. So it makes no sense that to have different refereeing tools across the 2 games.

All teams involved should be treated the same

Absolutely.  It's either all or none. You can't have a team lifting the cup on a team's status and ground capabilities. Got no problem with the VAR outcome today both decisions for me were correct.  But surely it's got to be a level playing field.