James Gregg on Westwood

Seeing as he's happy to broadcast this on Twitter (and directly at Westwood for that matter), I'm sure, in the interests of journalistic, fairness, integrity etc., that he'll be more than happy to give Kieran Westwood his right to reply. 

Pretty dangerous game to be playing by a so-called journalist. 

Accusing someone of being a "bad" person on a social media platform. 

If he is mates with Cameron Dawson, then I'm sure Cameron would be thrilled to see his mate Tweeting this. 

A defamation of character lawsuit will only be successful if the information published is:

• Untrue in some respect
  • Exaggerated
  • Reported in an intentionally misleading way

In the UK, there is no statutory definition of defamation. Instead, various statements by the courts contribute to a common law definition of defamation.

Each definition has a common link to the reputation of the person or business about whom the statement is made. The most widely regarded definition of defamation is a statement made which ‘tends to lower him in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally’.

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seeing as he's happy to broadcast this on Twitter (and directly at Westwood for that matter), I'm sure, in the interests of journalistic, fairness, integrity etc., that he'll be more than happy to give Kieran Westwood his right to reply. 

To be fair to the lad. This is about the most exciting thing that would have come from one of our hacks told the story about Quixall doing a poo in Bobby Charlton boot!

I might be wrong, but I suspect Westwood can probably afford to take this to court.

If Gregg is providing a personal view, he is in the hot seat. If he provides a view in his capacity as an employee of a media company, then it is his employers that can be taken to court and held responsible for any perceived wrongdoing

• Thanks 1