1970’s was worse! Absolute B***ocks!

...wealthy fans couldn’t raise the money. The board wanted everything plus interest even after running the club into the ground. MM was the only viable proposition. 

Not even close to how it was back then and back in the 70’s. Sheite happens in football... that’s why it is what it is. Nah geeor being mardy and count your blessings ... we’re Wednesday and always will be no matter what league we play in. 

1 minute ago, outlaw pete said:

If I cast my mind back to the 70s the negatives are losing, in fact losing a lot to just about everyone.

Getting wet and cold home and away and with only 8000 inside Hillsbrough what a depressing time that was.

Can anyone remember the slag heap at Halifax?

BUT the 70s did have two major plusses, JC arrived and after an awful decade our very last home match of the 70s was beating the mighty blades 4-0 .

UTO

Though very few their was some good times, we had a decent side during early 70s, Tommy Craig and Willie Henderson were two fav players of mine, beating Crystal Palace who were in top division in a 3rd replay at Villa park was a great night and then after Charlton took over we had that cup marathon playing Arsenal 5 times. 

6 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

...wealthy fans couldn’t raise the money. The board wanted everything plus interest even after running the club into the ground. MM was the only viable proposition. 

Not even close to how it was back then and back in the 70’s. Sheite happens in football... that’s why it is what it is. Nah geeor being mardy and count your blessings ... we’re Wednesday and always will be no matter what league we play in. 

It was nothing to do with the board it was the Co-op bank.

if MM didn’t come along, they were going to do the deal with WTID.  The money was there.

it would have been painful because unlike MM there’d have been no investment for players at all.

but don’t re-write history.

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

It's the nearly 20 years out of the top flight that bothers me.

The club has never adapted

Of all the former big clubs that have dropped down we seem to be the one that has delivered the worst results and shown very few signs of getting back to the top.

Yeah, apart from getting to the playoff final and then the semi and going out on pens.

We're having a mare of a season and last time was a bit rubbish too - but blimey we have poor recent memories.

Edited by davey_wells

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

It's the nearly 20 years out of the top flight that bothers me.

The club has never adapted

Of all the former big clubs that have dropped down we seem to be the one that has delivered the worst results and shown very few signs of getting back to the top.

Whilst I agree to an extent forest have not been as close to getting back as we have and Leeds haven't done any better either. Come to think of it Coventry dropped into the fourth tier and have been away from the top flight just as long as we have.

It was horrendous under Burtenshaw,we scored 2 league goals from january to the end of the season and were relegated with a month of the season left.

The following season we had our lowest crowd since the war under 7K,we had 8K crowds on at least 8 occasions and staved off the fourth division in the final game.

We conceeded 8 goals away twice in 74,and got knocked out of the fa cup 2nd round by non league Wigan in 78.

The 70s were grim

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

OP doesn't appreciate that we didn't know how long the seventies problems would last, at the time.  We were getting sub 10,000 crowds and nearly bankrupt. Getting beaten by Darlington, Lincoln, York, Cambridge, Oxford.  Not just by the odd goal either.

Shef Utd were in the top division 1971-2 to 75-6 to make matters worse.  And L**ds were European Cup Finalists 1976. 

Hooliganism was rife- you wouldn't take your gran to a game as a birthday treat.

We didn't have the option to stay at home and watch on Sky, SkyNow, Ifollow, dodgy streams.  You either went or you didn't see the game.

We'd get soaked stood on open terraces, peering from wire cages with police alsations snarling at our legs.

Not so many had cars and there were no trams to Leppings Lane.  It was bus stops, walk or get a train for many fans.

Yes it's bad now..... but nothing like the 70's.

You're describing a time when the rest of the world and football were both in chaos.

Wednesday were poor in the 70s because it's fans could not afford to go to the game as they were out of work, but although I'm sure some of our fan base are in that same situation, most of the fan base who are in work are now blighted by higher prices on the promise of a failed dream. That was off the back of fifteen years of poor football as we all turned up and paid the debt interest on our Premier League failure. Well I'm sure the fanbase won't stomach another twelve years of paying debt interest to watch pre madonna's sulk on the pitch.

The 70s were bad for the UK, Sheffield and Wednesday, but the last eighteen years is unparalleled in our clubs history, and probably in English and even World football.

The Premier League era has its winners, but we're not one of them, and regrettably we voted for it, like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

I don't undestimate the nadir which was the 70s, but the last 20 years have been rank poor for Wednesday by any measure.

If we want success back at our club, we're going to have to fight for it on and off the field. I hope Mr C understands this, because if he and his entourage don't then things are going to get a lot worse.

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Of course I appreciate it.

But it was a few years.

Everybody could still remember coming 2nd in the league and Wembley in 66.

There was no false dawns.

We were poo and kept getting worse until Big Jack but then it was onwards and Upwards.

We have been poo for 20 years apart from 2 seasons. 

As the saying goes its the The hope that kills you.

In the 70’s, then the two League One’s after that I always KNEW we’d be back.

Im now sat here with absolutely no hope and genuinely feeling like it could get far worse than anybody thought possible.  

and the worst thing is Im not finding it painful.  I am completely numb to the pain.

This really is horrific!

Chansiri won't be around for ever and our current decline lies solely at his door for his naivety in thinking he could do it himself and his obstinacy for not getting real football experts to run things for him.

We are in for a rough ride certainly but given time we'll be back.

26 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

It was horrendous under Burtenshaw,we scored 2 league goals from january to the end of the season and were relegated with a month of the season left.

The following season we had our lowest crowd since the war under 7K,we had 8K crowds on at least 8 occasions and staved off the fourth division in the final game.

We conceeded 8 goals away twice in 74,and got knocked out of the fa cup 2nd round by non league Wigan in 78.

The 70s were grim

You forgot Darlington in the Cup and getting played off the park regularly by the likes of York, Mansfield, Wrexham and even bloody Toytown!

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I've watched the Owls for 40 years and in that time I've seen other big-city clubs win titles, cups European and domestic, whilst we've, er, won the League Cup in 1991.

I accepted it, because we all knew that our financial system meant that a ceiling was imposed on what we could achieve.

But when Mandy bought us and we modernized I really thought that we'd finally be able fulfil our potential.

So we get a rich chairman, like everyone else, but he turns out to be a noodle whom you wouldn't entrust with the task of going to the bar and buying a packet of crisps.

Let's all remember who Milan's first choice was for Wednesday.

I've still got the Land of Fire shirt. And then it turned out we were going to become a feader club to Racing Club Lens, a French second division team.

I think we should have all seen the signs then. We all knew what had happened to Portsmouth after Milan sold up.

I'm afraid we've been sold down the river. Again.

hafiz-mammadov-98380095-951a-4c22-842b-4fe5a42a6f1-resize-750.jpeg

Just now, legendaryswan said:

and beaten 3-1 at home by Chesterfield on a wednesday night......Ive not forgot,just prefer not to remember  :tango:

I'd forgotten that one too, going to have nightmares tonight!

v

• Haha 1

football waits for no man

3/4 years is a hell of a long time in football

you have to adapt and Wednesday have always been terrible at it

teams have global brands these days .our brands are a fake taxi company and a 50p can of energy drink.

you also have to freshen up the playing staff ,keep it competitive and on their toes.Ferguson was a master and getting shut of players with value but past there best .we've sold 2 players for money in 3 years .

The whole squad needs a freshen up

two many as-beens stealing aliving .

Wednesday fans ,Leeds fans,forest fans still think they are big clubs ,the fact is we aren't anymore ,its not 1994 anymore

we are what we are …if how we are doing affects how you feel about Sheffield Wednesday then Sheffield Wednesday probably isn't the club for you . ….we have good spells but mostly we bang average or worse and  that's just the way it is and in truth I wouldn't want it any other way . 

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we are what we are …if how we are doing affects how you feel about Sheffield Wednesday then Sheffield Wednesday probably isn't the club for you . ….we have good spells but mostly we bang average or worse and  that's just the way it is and in truth I wouldn't want it any other way . 

Very true mate,we have the odd good few years maybe twice a lifetime,the rest is a rollercoaster between three divisions,our hey day was around a century back,we got overtaken and left behind not long after,but we will have our time again,it may be brief,but it will come around,till then its all aboard the rollercoaster lol

The 70s were different for one it had never happened before so there was a refusal to accept what was happening before our very eyes. When it did many not so much walked away but stepped out till things got better. The rest were very much WAWAW and WTID before the concepts began thus the camaraderie was fantastic, we were all in it together it was a badge of honour and we would be able to stand that little bit taller when the good times returned. When they did we all felt that we would never go back to the dark days again. Since we got relegated from the PL we sort of got accustomed to failure and mediocrity chansiri gave us genuine hope we came so close but it’s why things seem so bad and of course unlike the 70s we all know it can definitely get worse