Really Bruce ???

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

People also forget Hull were relegated from the Premier League the season before and kept most of their players.

Bruce really should have steamrollered the league with that side.

Why should he? He got them promoted behind Burnley who went up having also just got relegated and spent big money, and Boro had lost in the play off final the previous season.

1 minute ago, HighworthOwl said:

Didn't Burnley and Boro go up automatically that season? We played Brighton in the playoffs. 

Brighton and Newcastle went up the season after. 

You're right.

All three (Hull included) very dull, get the job done, 1-0 merchants which arguably influenced/changed our approach in Year 2.

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Why should he? He got them promoted behind Burnley who went up having also just got relegated and spent big money, and Boro had lost in the play off final the previous season.

He finished above Burnley when getting relegated, kept the Premier League squad, had more time with the team so more time to gel.

He had probably the strongest squad in the division that season

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

He finished above Burnley when getting relegated, kept the Premier League squad, had more time with the team so more time to gel.

In fairness though it was an absolute clusterfuck behind the scenes - a real clusterfuck!

I have serious doubts that Bruce would come or that he and Chansiri could form a working relationship.

Bruce is wise enough to know that he would need control of transfer dealing to make a success of the job.

Two factors would prevent this.

1. Chansiri and his advisor(s) currently rule the roost.  

2. P & S. rules are likely to put the club in transfer embargo.

If Bruce were to be appointed however I would interpret that as a sign Chansiri is relaxing his grip on the throat of our club.

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

After relegation Burnley bought Andre Gray for huge money, unprecedented in this division at the time, plus the likes of Lowton, Joey Barton who bossed their midfield, and Tarkowski.

Whereas Hull sold the likes of Chester, Ince, Brady and Jelavic and didn't spend all that much, I think Odabajo was their only biggish signing.

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

After relegation Burnley bought Andre Gray for huge money, unprecedented in this division at the time, plus the likes of Lowton, Joey Barton who bossed their midfield, and Tarkowski.

Whereas Hull sold the likes of Chester, Ince, Brady and Jelavic and didn't spend all that much, I think Odabajo was their only biggish signing.

They spent £6 million on Gray, Fulham had dropped £11 million on McCormack the season before,  Blackburn had spent £7 million on Rhodes a few season before that, how was 6 million unprecendented?

Edited by Gob_Bluth

3 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

Hang on so many fans on here are exited about this potential but didn’t he get sack for playing boring unproductive football at villa himself and might I remember it was us that got him the sack??? He doesn’t exactly scream positive attacking football does he?? So why are so many excited personally he’s just an English Carlos for me ? Oh n might I add well

have that cr@p from other side of Sheffield saying agent Bruce like we did with Wilson ???

Do you really think we could attract someone with a better record at this level than Steve Bruce?? 

I guess those who really don't want him is just because he once managed them lot across town, he was only there 12 months and walked out because of false promises made by board. It's not like he's some hero of there's like Warnock was and we nearly appointed him.

Appointing Danny Wilson again would be an improvement on Jos.

• Haha 1

I'd be very surprised if Bruce or any well known UK manager comes to us tbh. We have no money, are going to have to sell our better players in the summer, a chairman who, by his own admission doesn't know how to run a club yet still wants to make all the decisions. It's a mess. The only saving grace is that the players we have now should be playing better than they are so maybe someone coming in can get us to mid table for a season or two until the P & S settles down again.

Bruce himself is a chequebook manager, I've seen nothing to say he's a good manager on limited resources.

13 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

They spent £6 million on Gray, Fulham had dropped £11 million on McCormack the season before,  Blackburn had spent £7 million on Rhodes a few season before that, how was 6 million unprecendented?

£9m.

Forgot about McCormack to be fair, but that kind of fee was still incredibly rare in the Championship at the time.

7 minutes ago, mike312 said:

I'd be very surprised if Bruce or any well known UK manager comes to us tbh. We have no money, are going to have to sell our better players in the summer, a chairman who, by his own admission doesn't know how to run a club yet still wants to make all the decisions. It's a mess. The only saving grace is that the players we have now should be playing better than they are so maybe someone coming in can get us to mid table for a season or two until the P & S settles down again.

Bruce himself is a chequebook manager, I've seen nothing to say he's a good manager on limited resources.

Finishing 16th in Premier league at Sunderland is some achievement, only reason they got rid was because fans didn't take to him knowing he's a Newcastle fan, also finished mid table in Premier at Wigan. 

Need to remember that Bruce had a lot going on in his personal life whilst at Villa, losing both his Mum and Dad inside a few weeks.

Edited by bradowl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Finishing 16th in Premier league at Sunderland is some achievement, only reason they got rid was because fans didn't take to him knowing he's a Newcastle fan, also finished mid table in Premier at Wigan. 

Need to remember that Bruce had a lot going on in his personal life whilst at Villa, losing both his Mum and Dad inside a few weeks.

I know there were circumstances at Villa. I think he'd have been perfect when we got Carlos but not now.

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I despair of some SWFC fans.

Possibly the same people who said "Warnock never"

Steve Bruce has not one but four promotions to the Premier League on his CV.

That is a realy tremendous acheivement.

We will be very lucky to land him.

And some think Paul Heckingbottom or Paul Hurst are a better option. :duntmatter: