inward looking

i've thought this for some time now.

last night i was tied up with work and didn't get to see the game, but i caught the radio sheffield broadcast in and around praise or grumble.

i'm a non sheffielder, but i'm staggered by the inward looking attitude of sheffield football, and indeed sheffield itself for such a cosmopolitan city.

listening to the 'bile' last night was 'poor fare' indeed.

one after another 'sniping' and 'slagging' each other off, looking to score points, culminating in the 'pig manager' coming on and talking one minute about 'the pigs' and 4 minutes about wednesday.

'the pigs' and other 'tinpot shithole' clubs in the area get off on facing up to 'the big dog', it's what they live and breathe for, but it should be beneath us and our fans, as we are much better, and in the end time will tell, and cream rises to the top.

i get the feeling that some of our support would be happy finishing 4th.from bottom, as long as the pigs were below us.

it's like an upcoming family wedding, you feel you just have to invite them, but know they be starting a fight in the church, YOU NEED TO STOP, THEY FEED ON BITTERNESS, IF YOU STARVE THEM THEY WILL DIE OFF.

as the great jack charlton once said, 'they need us. we don't need them'.

they are a 'regional' football team, wednesday are a 'national' one.

MOVE ON, they are small and insignificant, YOU make them bigger than what they truly are.

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

They battered us all over the football pitch last night.

We defended extremely well to cling on.

They’re doing well at the moment, playing some good stuff.

We’re struggling.

Not sure what other current facts you’re looking at here tbh.

they are scum, we are not.

but generally wednesday fans concern themselves far too much with 'the pigs' than is healthy, whilst unipig are built upon concerning themselves with wednesday, day after day, we run the risk of being dragged down to their level.

6 hours ago, dnhc said:

i've thought this for some time now.

last night i was tied up with work and didn't get to see the game, but i caught the radio sheffield broadcast in and around praise or grumble.

i'm a non sheffielder, but i'm staggered by the inward looking attitude of sheffield football, and indeed sheffield itself for such a cosmopolitan city.

listening to the 'bile' last night was 'poor fare' indeed.

one after another 'sniping' and 'slagging' each other off, looking to score points, culminating in the 'pig manager' coming on and talking one minute about 'the pigs' and 4 minutes about wednesday.

'the pigs' and other 'tinpot shithole' clubs in the area get off on facing up to 'the big dog', it's what they live and breathe for, but it should be beneath us and our fans, as we are much better, and in the end time will tell, and cream rises to the top.

i get the feeling that some of our support would be happy finishing 4th.from bottom, as long as the pigs were below us.

it's like an upcoming family wedding, you feel you just have to invite them, but know they be starting a fight in the church, YOU NEED TO STOP, THEY FEED ON BITTERNESS, IF YOU STARVE THEM THEY WILL DIE OFF.

as the great jack charlton once said, 'they need us. we don't need them'.

they are a 'regional' football team, wednesday are a 'national' one.

MOVE ON, they are small and insignificant, YOU make them bigger than what they truly are.

This post brings to mind an incident I witnessed at Hillsborough as a youngster.

It was Wednesday v United but the Manchester one and not too long after Quixall left us, so late 1950’s.

No crowd segregation in those days so fans all mixed in together. Wednesday were not playing well and the crowd weren’t happy. One bloke in the crowd had a lot to say about it but had an obvious South of England accent.

A wednesdayite complete with flat cap, scarf and rattle went to stand by him and asked ..Oy are tha from Sheffield?...No.

Well are tha from Manchester...Well no not there either.

The reply from our blue and white friend was a brilliant. ‘Well pipe down then it’s nowt to do wi thee’.

Not suggesting you don’t have a point but it was hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first thing my blades 'mate' sent me last night was a stream of quotes from owls talk about how bad we were. 

They hate us first and support their club second and we are better than that. That's why I have no problem saying they are currently better than us at football.  I will always believe our fans are better though. 

Edited by Mystic Neg

16 hours ago, Blatter said:

This post brings to mind an incident I witnessed at Hillsborough as a youngster.

It was Wednesday v United but the Manchester one and not too long after Quixall left us, so late 1950’s.

No crowd segregation in those days so fans all mixed in together. Wednesday were not playing well and the crowd weren’t happy. One bloke in the crowd had a lot to say about it but had an obvious South of England accent.

A wednesdayite complete with flat cap, scarf and rattle went to stand by him and asked ..Oy are tha from Sheffield?...No.

Well are tha from Manchester...Well no not there either.

The reply from our blue and white friend was a brilliant. ‘Well pipe down then it’s nowt to do wi thee’.

Not suggesting you don’t have a point but it was hilarious.

wednesday are a 'national' side, not a local one, so it has to do with ALL wednesday fans.

it's not the 1950's anymore, people have personal transport in this 21st. century, and thus are able to travel great distances to watch 'home' games.

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

wednesday are a 'national' side, not a local one, so it has to do with ALL wednesday fans.

it's not the 1950's anymore, people have personal transport in this 21st. century, and thus are able to travel great distances to watch 'home' games.

Just a bit of evidence that the banter between fans always went on and not just between our local clubs.

True it was relatively harmless in the 1950’s but that was before it could be carried out anonymously via social media.

I do believe though that those born, schooled and bred in the inner city feel the rivalry more keenly.

Going to school or work on Monday morning after a defeat by your local rivals certainly stirred up the passion.

Living outside the city, as I do these days, you just don’t feel it quite as keenly. 

11 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Just a bit of evidence that the banter between fans always went on and not just between our local clubs.

True it was relatively harmless in the 1950’s but that was before it could be carried out anonymously via social media.

I do believe though that those born, schooled and bred in the inner city feel the rivalry more keenly.

Going to school or work on Monday morning after a defeat by your local rivals certainly stirred up the passion.

Living outside the city, as I do these days, you just don’t feel it quite as keenly. 

Totally agree, people who live in Sheffield feel the pain more, its obvious when you have work mates and customers who you see everyday reminding you who they follow.

Bit different when you perhaps live in bognor regis or summat?

TBH the most obvious example of being inward looking is the great unmentionable - the fact that this city boasts the first ever football club but the global game has long passed us by.  

The curse of being a two club city, means we will never sit at the top table of National ni mind world football again.

Best thing that could happen would be for a trillionnaire to buy Sheffield FC, overtake and then take over Owls and Blades, play in blue red and white stripes in a new 50k stadium with one end Wednesday and one United, and then launch HMS wee wee the planet.

PS Mods - when this post gets to 100 negs can you remove it!!!??!!!

• Haha 2

On 11/11/2018 at 14:59, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

TBH the most obvious example of being inward looking is the great unmentionable - the fact that this city boasts the first ever football club but the global game has long passed us by.  

The curse of being a two club city, means we will never sit at the top table of National ni mind world football again.

Best thing that could happen would be for a trillionnaire to buy Sheffield FC, overtake and then take over Owls and Blades, play in blue red and white stripes in a new 50k stadium with one end Wednesday and one United, and then launch HMS wee wee the planet.

PS Mods - when this post gets to 100 negs can you remove it!!!??!!!

i have thought about if the cubs joined would i still attend, and could never come to a  decision,it would take a lot to convince me,

On 11/11/2018 at 14:27, Blatter said:

sides were local then, walk, bus or tram, and likely see some of the players on the bus too if you go back far enough.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:38, dnhc said:

they are scum, we are not.

but generally wednesday fans concern themselves far too much with 'the pigs' than is healthy, whilst unipig are built upon concerning themselves with wednesday, day after day, we run the risk of being dragged down to their level.

“They are scum, we are not.”

I love some banter with my friends who are United fans but that statement above is just daft.

i have some top mates that support United because their dad took them. 

My dad took me to Hillsborough.

it really doesn’t make them scum. That is just tribal nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

“They are scum, we are not.”

I love some banter with my friends who are United fans but that statement above is just daft.

i have some top mates that support United because their dad took them. 

My dad took me to Hillsborough.

it really doesn’t make them scum. That is just tribal nonsense. 

i didn't mean 'scum' as individuals,(although some are) but a scummy football club, sort of like having 'travellers' on the green across the road.

We are currently in the same division and divided by 4 wins/losses only.  That is the gap and it is slightly exagerrated at that.

I can remember a time when I truly no longer was really bothered to look at their results.  I doubt any of them could say the same.  It wasn't for long but it happened.

The true mark of footballing success in recent history in Sheffield.

:duntmatter: