Stats - How bad is our defensive record & Are we in a relegation battle?

We are the only team that hasn’t kept a clean sheet (and have been for several weeks).

We have conceded 30 goals in 16 matches.  This is the joint worst in the division.  If we do this over the course of the season we will concede 86 goals.

I have looked at the league table of the second tier for every season since we got promoted from this level (1990/91).

The only teams to concede 86 goals or more in a season are as follows with their final league position:-

Rotherham 16/17 - 98 goals- 24th
Blackpool 14/15 - 91 goals - 24th
Scunthorpe 10/11 - 87 goals - 24th
Colchester 07/08 - 86 goals - 24th
Crewe 05/06 - 86 goals - 22nd
Crewe 04/05 - 86 goals - 21st
Wimbledon 03/04 - 91 goals - 24th
Burnley 02/03 - 89 goals - 16th
Barnsley 01/02 - 86 goals - 23rd
Stockport 01/02 -102 goals - 24th
Southend 96/97 - 86 goals - 24th
Bristol Rovers 92/93 - 87 goals - 24th

We were relegated in 08/09 and had conceded 26 goals after 16 matches. 3 clean sheets.

We were also relegated in 02/03 and had conceded 22 goals after 16 matches. 4 clean sheets.

Is our defensive record bad? Yes

Are we in a relegation battle? Unquestionably.

Can a manager justify this defensive record???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We won’t stop conceding goals until we have a team structure that the players are used to and know their exact roles 

The manager not only changes the team constantly he messes with the formation regularly, thus leading to no consistency or responsibility from individuals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, torres said:

We won’t stop conceding goals until we have a team structure that the players are used to and know their exact roles 

The manager not only changes the team constantly he messes with the formation regularly, thus leading to no consistency or responsibility from individuals. 

Thats the problem i think nobody knows what position they are playing and thats down to jos nobody else

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Scandalous really, and shows no signs of changing.

Jos will be made the scapegoat soon as the Chairman realises he's foooked up again, and needs to deflect blame.

It jos who never keeps same team of formation .what formation did we play yesterday because i couldnt tell

1 minute ago, dan1980 said:

It jos who never keeps same team of formation .what formation did we play yesterday because i couldnt tell

It was obvious!!!

half the team played 442

the midfield played 5-3-2

the forwards played 433

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Defence was always going to be the issue this season with Loovens and Hunt going without being replaced.

The chopping and changing of the formation and personnel at the back is making it much worse. 

Freezing out 2 of our best defensive performers over the last 4 seasons on top of this seems like suicide. 

I stated at the beginning of the season that I suspected we'd finish lower midtable (Around 16th/17th) but after going to the game yesterday I do think we're a distinct possibility for relegation having witnessed that perfomance. Don't let people fool you, we weren't that great in the first half either - our defence was a shambles at the start but steadied a little later into the half. There's absolutely no cohesion to the side, except in patches, and the team really doesn't play consistently with any drive or effort. It really is a shocking state of affairs and a change is needed. The manager needs to go but Bullen does too as his continued presence won't help with the shake up that is required. Will Chansiri do what is required? Doubt it as at the end of the day, he's part of the problem as well; gambling on promotion, knowing what problems it would cause with FFP - the bloke's incompetent at best.

• Like 2

We are in free fall.

I've backed Jos to the hilt. I thought he was doing a good job in a tough environment. He was up until the Boro defeat. Since then we've just collapsed. Defensively all over the place, players look scared and we just give up after we go a goal down. Tells me he can't motivate these players. If he can't get them up to at least scrape a draw after three defeats on the spin, I don't think he'll turn this round at all. We lost 4-0 and absolutely imploded in the second half like we did at QPR and Brum. What is he saying at half time?

Change is needed. When it happens I don't know. But it needs to happen and we need to get an English speaking hard poopydoo in who will give these players a kick up the backside. If people say that is us going backwards, we have to be realistic. We've messed up and need to start again. Just like when Megson and Sturrock came in. No nonsense, change the culture at the club and motivate these players.

If not Chansiri will be charging 40 quid a ticket in League One and we'll have 13,000 crowds every week. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are in free fall.

I've backed Jos to the hilt. I thought he was doing a good job in a tough environment. He was up until the Boro defeat. Since then we've just collapsed. Defensively all over the place, players look scared and we just give up after we go a goal down. Tells me he can't motivate these players. If he can't get them up to at least scrape a draw after three defeats on the spin, I don't think he'll turn this round at all. We lost 4-0 and absolutely imploded in the second half like we did at QPR and Brum. What is he saying at half time?

Change is needed. When it happens I don't know. But it needs to happen and we need to get an English speaking hard poopydoo in who will give these players a kick up the backside. If people say that is us going backwards, we have to be realistic. We've messed up and need to start again. Just like when Megson and Sturrock came in. No nonsense, change the culture at the club and motivate these players.

If not Chansiri will be charging 40 quid a ticket in League One and we'll have 13,000 crowds every week. 

So up until Middlesbrough at home you thought everything was looking good?

1 minute ago, torres said:

So up until Middlesbrough at home you thought everything was looking good?

No it wasn't, but results wise it was looking quite good. I thought we were riding our luck but I was pleased. We were sitting 6th when I set my expectations to bottom half. 

But since then it's just imploded. You can't justify it. Wednesday is one of the hardest jobs in the league, he's had it hard Jos, but you can't excuse the comedy defending, no clean sheets, second half collapses and 10 goals conceded in 3 games.

Time is up.