Perspective thread

We are doing so well this season. Much better than I expected.

How anyone can complain is beyond me.

Our two best centre forwards are still injured.

Our best midfielder prior to injury is out. 

we've lost Hutch (not the same player anymore), Loovens and Wallace who were key parts of the side two seasons ago.

We haven't strengthened in midfield at all, an area where we have struggled since 2015 against sides who are big and physical- Pelupessy isn't the answer no matter how many people try and tell me he's under appreciated. 

We have no pace in the side, still.

Our back five is made up of four academy products who had little to no first team experience prior to the start of the season, yet they're holding there own. Penney and Thorniley have been a revelation.

Dawson is getting some stick but he's kept us in games at times this season, but of course people would want to slate the lad. Not his fault Jos prefers him over Westwood.

Overall this side is nowhere near as good as the one which reached Wembley in 2016. The clusterfuck of mistakes off the field since then have left us in a state. Yet still 10 games in Jos has us 1 point of the play-offs. The players are fighting for each other and there is a fantastic team spirit. I'm really enjoying it so far, I set myself low expectations and have so far being pleasantly surprised with the way the side are playing and the effort they are putting in. Things could have easily turned very toxic after the pre-season we had, but Jos is doing well and we look an outside bet for the play-offs. We were outplayed by the best side in the league for 45 minutes, so were Derby and Swansea. No need for the negativity.

Keep it going Wednesday. We are doing great. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I agree that at the moment we are doing better so far this season then I expected a few weeks ago.

But when the club is charging near enough the highest ticket prices in the league for 4 years running then its not a surprise if to some fans anything other then going for promotion is not good enough. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are doing so well this season. Much better than I expected.

Our two best centre forwards are still injured.

Our best midfielder prior to injury is out. 

we've lost Hutch (not the same player anymore), Loovens and Wallace who were key parts of the side two seasons ago.

We haven't strengthened in midfield at all, an area where we have struggled since 2015 against sides who are big and physical- Pelupessy isn't the answer no matter how many people try and tell me he's under appreciated. 

We have no pace in the side, still.

Our back five is made up of four academy products who had little to no first team experience prior to the start of the season, yet they're holding there own. Penney and Thorniley have been a revelation.

Dawson is getting some stick but he's kept us in games at times this season, but of course people would want to slate the lad. Not his fault Jos prefers him over Westwood.

Overall this side is nowhere near as good as the one which reached Wembley in 2016. The clusterfuck of mistakes off the field since then have left us in a state. Yet still 10 games in Jos has us 1 point of the play-offs. The players are fighting for each other and there is a fantastic team spirit. I'm really enjoying it so far, I set myself low expectations and have so far being pleasantly surprised with the way the side are playing and the effort they are putting in. Things could have easily turned very toxic after the pre-season we had, but Jos is doing well and we look an outside bet for the play-offs. We were outplayed by the best side in the league for 45 minutes, so were Derby and Swansea. No need for the negativity.

Keep it going Wednesday. We are doing great. 

Good points.

For me though, we have much more pace in the side than last season - Matias, FF, Penney. Still lacking? Yes, but I think we look a much more quicker side than this time last season.

We choose to play the academy players, we aren’t forced to. For example, Westwood is apparently fit, but Jos wants to go with Dawson. That’s fair enough, but it can’t then be used as an excuse, or even a yardstick as to how we are performing We probably miss Hooper, or the Hooper of old, but we definitely don’t miss Winnall.

Having said that, I’m OK with the progression, but the only perspective needed, is where we want to be at the end of the season If we want mid table security, then we are on course, however, if we still harbour thoughts of a play off place, then we need to up our game

13 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Good points.

For me though, we have much more pace in the side than last season - Matias, FF, Penney. Still lacking? Yes, but I think we look a much more quicker side than this time last season.

Whenever we have anyone with pace it’s always the ones who have no idea what to do with it 

• Haha 2

Guest LittleG

Like you say perspective is down to each individuals expectation. We are doing better than I expected and like you my expectations were pretty low. After watching us for over 50 years you can probably understand why. I don't bring injured players into the equation as we all knew from day one that they would not be starting the season. 

Frustration is the key word for me, I desperately want us to succeed but all the time it seems that the gods are against us. 

Before the Leeds match there were many posters saying they are not all that, the League is wide open, there are no outstanding teams, anyone can go up etc. But then we turn out for the second half with it seemed the intention to try and hold on for a 1-0 win and then subsequently a draw. When we get the draw all of a sudden Leeds are the best team in the league and how well we've done. I may be naive but I wanted us to drive forward and take the game to them, put pressure on their young (21) goalkeeper instead we just sat back. 

We will be inconsistent all season so I apologise in advance cos they will build our hopes up one week then crush them the next.

15 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I don’t get the comments like ‘just how the site works’. Don’t get why owlstalk gets such as bad reputation when places like twitter and Facebook I am told (not on either) are much worse.

Some people are negative whilst others are naturally positive. There are some people in life who are just Johnny Opposite argumentative for the sake of it. If these are ignored and taken for what they are then owlstalk is great.

We also have the strange and weird practice of clandestine piglets spouting their bile to cause unrest.

Some do have genuine mental health problems with loneliness and isolation at their heart, I have amended for you. Now I'm in 100% agreement with you. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Two best centre forwards? 

Am I missing something...thought it was only Hooper who is out!

Winnall and Hooper.

We all know what Hooper is capable of when fit. Winnall has the best goals to game ratio in the division, I believe. They're both injured. Both of them score goals and can bring a lot to the team when fit.

• Like 1

Agree with it all. Very happy this season. Can't see reasons for complaint other than the joke that is ticket pricing. But lots of other issues on and off the pitch have been sorted. Happy owl and looking forward to another tough game on Wednesday, But with Jos who knows. In Jos we Trust. WAWAW.

8 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Jos aint picking Dawson. He aint that silly.

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Chansiri. But tea lady'd do better.

(Listen to last Carlos interview).

So "he aint that silly" but he's silly enough to let a clubs owner pick his match day team when he's resigned from managers jobs before when the owner has tried to intervene?