Dawson and Baker

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah

a bit nervous still 

I reckon his nerves will disappear when he’s dropped for Palmer for a bit and sits and considers it all

Good learning curve 

I hope he comes really strong this season

Said after the Villa game that I thought we needed to see more from him going forward, and I actually thought he looked more positive in the final 3rd tonight rather than passing it back and letting someone else take responsibility.

They clearly did their research on Dawson and targeted him with lots of balls into an area where he was forced to make a decision. Fortunately he got away with a few dodgy ones tonight but it’s an area of his game that really needs work. I like him and Wildsmith but the standard of this division gets higher each year and I don’t think either of them are quite there yet. I’m sure they’re both learning lots and I want them both to succeed... but when no real answers are forthcoming it’s fair to question why the best, most experienced keeper at the club has been frozen out.

Neither had their best games tonight. Baker very much off the pace and Dawson didn’t command his area like you want a keeper to do. I contrast Baker with Penney on the other side and it’s chalk and cheese. Having said that Palmer isn’t a great alternative!

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I back Jos on this 

Without Westwood we have had our best start in YEARS and Dawson’s stats show him to be not just more reliable and capable than Westwood but also more than the majority of Championship keepers

Now if you want to argue against any of these points I’m all ears

Do you want to read stats or watch it and make your own mind up. For me baker is either not good enough or not ready . I suspect the first. Dawson is not good enough or not ready. I suspect the second. People aren't picking on them it's opinion based on watching them. Incidentally nobody is asking these questions about Penney because he is clearly good enough and ready. Right back is our biggest problem and not because hunt has left because he was bobbins.

Just now, Jack the Hat said:

Do you want to read stats or watch it and make your own mind up. For me baker is either not good enough or not ready . I suspect the first. Dawson is not good enough or not ready. I suspect the second. People aren't picking on them it's opinion based on watching them. Incidentally nobody is asking these questions about Penney because he is clearly good enough and ready. Right back is our biggest problem and not because hunt has left because he was bobbins.

Baker I agree looks too nervous currently 

Dawson needs to just improve on his command of area and coming out to claim/punch balls

We haven’t been annihilated as a result of either player tho and this is definitely 100% a transition season where we try these things and feel the pain short term for bigger picture benefit so I trust Jos 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The argument against Dawson is nonsensical

its like watching a race between a Ferrari and a Skoda and the stats show the Ferrrari is way way faster but people argue that the Skoda should be car of choice because it’s Green

What are you on about. Yes he made some good saves (tonight and previous) and yes he is going to make mistakes but I personally feel more confident in other keepers. 

BUT, I think it's fair to say, some saves Dawson has made , others would not have and vice versa.

It's the commandment of his area, he should be shouting at Baker to leave it. And as Lees isn't the most Vocal back there Westwood would be telling you what you should be doing.

1 minute ago, BathgateBob said:

What are you on about. Yes he made some good saves (tonight and previous) and yes he is going to make mistakes but I personally feel more confident in other keepers. 

BUT, I think it's fair to say, some saves Dawson has made , others would not have and vice versa.

It's the commandment of his area, he should be shouting at Baker to leave it. And as Lees isn't the most Vocal back there Westwood would be telling you what you should be doing.

Westwood has gone 

So has Gary Megson

So has Carlos

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, BathgateBob said:

Agreed. We played 3 young defenders a new defender and an experienced one who isn't a leader . Westwood would bring the balance of leadership and experience we could do with.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Westwood has gone 

So has Gary Megson

So has Carlos

So has Di Canio. So has Booth. And Bes whateverwick his name. Westwood is still a contracted player. 

I'm a big fan of the youth Jos has been playing. But we need a vocal leader back there. I don't care who it is.

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fair point 

agreed

I'm not for one minute having a go at any of them. Dawson has made some great saves  but just needs to be more commanding. That is his  box and if he can't get the ball tell someone to or tell them to leave it (Baker situation) Organise.  Of course they need time.

Someone has to be a leader at the back, looking tonight it might be Hector. He seemed very vocal and showing where others needed to be.

23 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

So we moan about young players not being given a chance then when they are , and don’t let us down , we moan about it.

Young players are learning their trade, in this case in a very tough school.

Give them some support.

you couldn't make it up could you ….we have the average of the side down , we're on a good run, we don't  play the over the hill brigade ,we have a team that shows some spirit , we have a manager who's got more plans than baldrick and still he gets moaned at  for having the faith in playing the young lads .  

Edited by torryowl

2 minutes ago, BathgateBob said:

I'm not for one minute having a go at any of them. Dawson has made some great saves  but just needs to be more commanding. That is his  box and if he can't get the ball tell someone to or tell them to leave it (Baker situation) Organise.  Of course they need time.

Someone has to be a leader at the back, looking tonight it might be Hector. He seemed very vocal and showing where others needed to be.

Yeah!

And I would love it to be Hector too and land him on a permanent 

Really liking what he does 

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, BRINGBACKNILSSON said:

Are you actually saying Westwood and wildsmith aren’t up to Dawson’s standards?

westwood should be the No1 without any doubt but for some reason his face doesn’t fit 

What about the games that say Westwood might not fancy playing in like as a possible example if the opposition have got two stonking centre backs who he thinks might clatter him during the game....or say if  he's got other stuff he'd rather be doing like a Sunday league player might have?....would you still have him as number one for those games?

Edited by Ian