"I will have success with Sheffield Wednesday"

On 28/08/2018 at 19:37, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I want Jos to do well but am absolutely baffled at the adoration he is getting for scraping a win against a ten man team who are bottom of the league and an interview in which he says players should give 100%.

Crikey.

We are several months down the line and it still isn’t evident to me what kind of style of play this guy is trying to impose. Just hope tonight’s latest mystery XI puts in a more coherent performance than at Griffin Park. 

Probably because he is mopping up the mess created by the chairman and that utter buffoon we had in charge before . The club is In a mess , the squad is poor , and jos’ no flannel ,  no bs approach is refreshing . I think he’s doing a good job . 

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 29/08/2018 at 01:52, hangonrose said:

Love Jos's attitude (quote from yesterday following the Brentford game's fallout).  I have to love his positive, level-headed, committed outlook, with no razzmatazz and cheap quotes.  And why shouldn't he have success - he has started to move the mountains, and if the players take it all on board, who knows where it will lead.  He's a stayer who wants young Sheffielders in his team, so we can support a man who 'will have success'. 

Probably just a mistake with his English but have to love it nevertheless!

On 28/08/2018 at 19:36, Athelwulf said:

Not unless he brings reinforcements in.

Looks like he is bringing in players called Gary Hooper and Kieran Lee after the international break. 

Two popular lads lads in the dressing-room, who would get in any Xl in the division.

Im looking forward to them more than any reinforcements.

(Wouldnt mind a big, strapping, no-nonesense CB though)

On 28/08/2018 at 19:37, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I want Jos to do well but am absolutely baffled at the adoration he is getting for scraping a win against a ten man team who are bottom of the league and an interview in which he says players should give 100%.

Crikey.

We are several months down the line and it still isn’t evident to me what kind of style of play this guy is trying to impose. Just hope tonight’s latest mystery XI puts in a more coherent performance than at Griffin Park. 

I take your point regarding style this season as the line up and / or systems were altering every game. 

Last season it (the style) couldn’t have been more clear as he got the then injury ravaged squad set up in a defensive, needs must 532 to win us some points and keep us out of a relegation scrap. With the return of our better players we evolved into an attacking 343. That to me showed clear progressive thinking. Skip to pre season and Jos loses 8 players including two mainstays of his back 5 and his club captain. I think the defensive losses caused the muddled thinking that we  have seen to the start of the season, we are (for now?) now a back 4, did Jos ever try a back four pre season? Did Jos ever try a back four of Penney, Thorniley, Lee’s, Palmer? Being honest who would have picked that back four? 

In my mind the defence will be key for us putting together any sort of consistency and I still think we need at least a of couple of additions back there. If we fail to bring in any defenders I think we will be in for a tough old ride. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Looks like he is bringing in players called Gary Hooper and Kieran Lee after the international break. 

Two popular lads lads in the dressing-room, who would get in any Xl in the division.

Im looking forward to them more than any reinforcements.

(Wouldnt mind a big, strapping, no-nonesense CB though)

I really hope Kieran Lee makes it

Owlstalk Shop

9 hours ago, james o connor said:

Probably because he is mopping up the mess created by the chairman and that utter buffoon we had in charge before . The club is In a mess , the squad is poor , and jos’ no flannel ,  no bs approach is refreshing . I think he’s doing a good job . 

2 hours ago, Walt said:

I take your point regarding style this season as the line up and / or systems were altering every game. 

Last season it (the style) couldn’t have been more clear as he got the then injury ravaged squad set up in a defensive, needs must 532 to win us some points and keep us out of a relegation scrap. With the return of our better players we evolved into an attacking 343. That to me showed clear progressive thinking. Skip to pre season and Jos loses 8 players including two mainstays of his back 5 and his club captain. I think the defensive losses caused the muddled thinking that we  have seen to the start of the season, we are (for now?) now a back 4, did Jos ever try a back four pre season? Did Jos ever try a back four of Penney, Thorniley, Lee’s, Palmer? Being honest who would have picked that back four? 

In my mind the defence will be key for us putting together any sort of consistency and I still think we need at least a of couple of additions back there. If we fail to bring in any defenders I think we will be in for a tough old ride. 

Lads - some good points here and I suppose it is unusual for any manager to take over with most of his erstwhile first team in the treatment room.

As I’ve said elsewhere it is absolutely brilliant that he is blooding youngsters but I reckon we would all feel more secure if the team had a couple of minders like Carlton and Nigel Pearson from days of yore - I hope the club move heaven and earth to get at least one more leader in, especially since Hutch is willing but his body is no longer able. 

Re selections though he is still baffling me a bit - are either of you convinced Joey should be the first name on the team sheet? Is he a bit too Tinkerman between games and not enough during them? Are some of his decisions alienating senior pros like Westwood, Fessi and at best long term reducing their sell on value?

That said, it is incredibly reassuring that Bannan has signed an extension which is an implicit act of faith in Jos. Despite him being the worst timer of a tackle since Paul Scholes, every manager in this division would want him in their team. We are doing extremely well to keep him. 

In short, If he’s good enough for Bazzar he’s good enough for me. 

On 28/08/2018 at 17:52, hangonrose said:

Love Jos's attitude (quote from yesterday following the Brentford game's fallout).  I have to love his positive, level-headed, committed outlook, with no razzmatazz and cheap quotes.  And why shouldn't he have success - he has started to move the mountains, and if the players take it all on board, who knows where it will lead.  He's a stayer who wants young Sheffielders in his team, so we can support a man who 'will have success'. 

I really struggle to understand why so many fans have a go at Jos when he was being praised so highly after his first game in charge for the immediate transformation he made to the team. He also got the best out of several players who had not looked very good prior to his arrival.

Unfortunately with a couple of old regulars leaving the club four or five unavailable due to long term injuries etc and a couple that have been sold/loaned out, plus a few of our, more experienced players, not doing as much as we expect them to, Jos has had to work his magic on the players who are available and many of us think he has got the best out of them. 

Several players have recently looked better than I can remember and despite the cobbled together nature of our teams and some of the play, we have still played some lovely football at times, with crisp passing, quickly moving the ball and players from box to box and pressing teams when we do not have the ball. 

With all the things going against us at the moment, it would be so easy to focus on all the flaws and weaknesses that we have, but Jos does not do that. He is positive, he looks at all the good things we do and tries to get us doing more of it. I am very pleased with the last 6 points we earned, because we could so easily have got nothing from the last two games, but luckily for us our manager has got the players into that positive, battling mentality and we have been winning against teams we and other teams have struggled to beat.

Keep up the great work Jos, the work rate brings its own luck with it and as Howard Wilkinson used to say, let them call us lucky, it shows that they don't get what we're doing.

UTFO!

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

1 hour ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Lads - some good points here and I suppose it is unusual for any manager to take over with most of his erstwhile first team in the treatment room.

As I’ve said elsewhere it is absolutely brilliant that he is blooding youngsters but I reckon we would all feel more secure if the team had a couple of minders like Carlton and Nigel Pearson from days of yore - I hope the club move heaven and earth to get at least one more leader in, especially since Hutch is willing but his body is no longer able. 

Re selections though he is still baffling me a bit - are either of you convinced Joey should be the first name on the team sheet? Is he a bit too Tinkerman between games and not enough during them? Are some of his decisions alienating senior pros like Westwood, Fessi and at best long term reducing their sell on value?

That said, it is incredibly reassuring that Bannan has signed an extension which is an implicit act of faith in Jos. Despite him being the worst timer of a tackle since Paul Scholes, every manager in this division would want him in their team. We are doing extremely well to keep him. 

In short, If he’s good enough for Bazzar he’s good enough for me. 

I can see why he picks Pelupessy as he gives us legs and does the ugly side of the game and probably atrempts to do exactly what Jos says to him. No denying  he started poorly this season but I don’t get the hammering he gets as he finished last season pretty well. Hutch would be the only viable alternative unless there’s another kid ready to step up. Maybe a bit of a risk to play Hutch there with his injury record and our lack of bodies and has Hutch done himself any favours when selected? That said I’d be tempted to give him a go (after saying I’d only consider him at centre back about a month ago!) 

Tinkering inbetween games I think was / is down to not knowing his best defence. 

I’d agree that he could be quicker to make changes during the games.

If he genuinely thinks Fessi and Westwood aren’t doing what he asks of them then he’s every right not to select them. It’s still a brave call to drop talent like FF mind. Hopefully both Jos and FF are on the same page now.

On 28/08/2018 at 19:00, Ballmeist said:

I hope he has success but I won’t hold my breath. The last performances have been ok, and the results have been good. All of the performances before that were dire. 

We've always been slow starters, but Jos has spent the least time looking at the past 5 seasons to get us past that and over-all the start hasn't been that bad after 5 matches.

Hope we keep it up the next 5 matches to give us a really solid foundation for the season, then we can talk about expectations and promotion hopes come Christmas.