• Jordan Thorniley
    • Marco Matias
    • Joey Pelupessy
    • Adthe Nuhiu
    • Lucas Joao
    • Adam Reach
    • Fernando Forestieri
    • Steven Fletcher

A good sign when we can play no where near the level we are capable of and still win. Too many players had a poor game today. Thorniley and Penney played well. JL is clear that nobody is guaranteed starting place and players who performed under par will be working their socks off to start next match. With Lee, Hooper and Winnall back fit and 2 or 3 good loan signings we have a team capable of a top 6 finish at least. Home wins massively important for a good finish in the table. If we can also pick up draws and a few wins away from home then we might be there or there abouts at the finish. The youngsters are key to our chances this season and how the more experienced players lead by example will benefit them and the team. JL has sent them a clear message of what he wants from his players and how they will get in the team and stay there. Every player looks fitter than ever and if we can see Lee and Hooper playing regularly then I really confident this team can get us out of this division. Anyway Thorniley was MOM for me today with 8 and Penney close with a 7. Rest 6 apart from Atdhe 4 and Reach 5. Reach seemed below his usual standard but like Atdhe he still kept trying which is why they get a point higher than their end product probably deserves. Still a win is a win. 3 points ! I sure every game its becoming more obvious to JL where we need strengthening to achieve promotion.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Do you really think so?

I thought he was really busy today. Was having to do lots of tracking , marking and dirty work whilst not being directly involved.

Especially with Joao, Matias and Reach roaming all over the show. 

I get your point Lord.  He does get a foot in but often to the opposition. His heading ability is poor too. Watch him carefully, he loses 90 percent of them. His passing ability is dire as well. He’s young, works hard and has a decent delivery from set plays. He may improve but Hutch should be playing not him. However, the same could be said for FF and Matias.

Cant complain with 6 points in two games mind.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Good again Hoots. Growing with every game.

Could have had a couple of goals too.

Penney for me today though.

Stopped so many crosses. Especially first half.

Even Pudil in 'Year one' wasn't doing that enough for my tastes.

I know it's the rage these days to judge fullbacks on their crossing and pace.

I'm old fashioned. Stopping crosses. always an extra +1 on my match ratings!

I voted for Penny too. He looks a player this lad. 

Guest Willow Owl

Thought young Penney had a decent game 7, Joey does a lot of hard graft 7 allowing Bannan a free role 8, Rest get a six apart from Nuhiu who gets a 2, ive seen milk turn quicker and not a patch on Fletcher. No movement, no touch, useless in the air. He actually blamed  Penney in the first half for a his own terrible ball, which i thought was way out of order. He is a squad player at best

Bannan for me again.

Not seen it mentioned anywhere, but his delivery from set pieces seems to have improved massively, or our movement in the box has made them more dangerous?

2 goals yesterday plus the one missed in the first half.

Second goal Wednesday from his free kick.

Every time we win a free kick around the wing areas and bazza is over the ball, we are very likely to score at the moment.

Dawson - 7 - Fumble early on from the cross, but made a real smart save to keep it at 1-1. I've no issues with him...he's a more than competent Championship keeper, who will only get better.

Palmer - 7 - Thought he had a strong 1st half with some good one-on-one defending. Superb clearance off the line also. 2nd half he was disappointing, consistently making poor decisions in offensive areas. But he looks much better with some protection in front of him.

Lees - 7 - Generally did what he needed to well. Aside from a mad 15 minutes before half time, Ipswich didn't offer too much tbh.

Thorniley - 7 - Man of the Match - Similar to Lees, in so much that what he did, he did well, without really been troubled. Just like his aggressive nature. Looks the one-on-one battle. Just shaded the rest of the back four to Man of the Match.

Penny - 7 - Another solid performance. Looks comfortable on the ball, and like Thorniley, likes to defend. Given the appropriate game time, we could have a player on our hands here.

Pelupessy - 5 - It was a different game to Millwall, and it just seemed to pass him by once again. Pelupessy plays his best games when we press high and play with a tempo when out of possession. Looked rushed on the ball once again.

Bannan - 7 - In the 2nd half, he was everywhere once again. Didn't use the ball as well as he did Wednesday night, but he's still our most creative and important player. His delivery from corners has improved also. Three brilliant crosses yesterday, two of which led to goals, one of which Thorniley should've scored.

Matias - 6 - Worked tirelessly, and did a great job protecting Palmer. Didn't really happen for him with the ball, and should've perhaps done better with the chance when clean through.

Reach - 4 - Don't know what was up with Reach yesterday, but he was hopeless. Didn't see much of the ball, and when he did, he first touch and awareness was so far off his usual. 

Joao - 7 - Took his goals well. Struggled to have much of an impact in the 1st half (like most), looked more dangerous in the 2nd when the space began to appear. Decent return to the side though.

Nuhiu - 5 - He had one of those days, but he continued to cause Ipswich issues. In the 1st half especially, he was finding a lot of space in between Chalobah and their two centre halves. As the game went on, Chambers and Nsiala just worked him out, and nullified him. Nuhiu has always struggled against big, physical centre halves...Ipswich had two. 

Overall, it wasn't pretty. Our attacking players didn't really manage get through 3rd gear at any point, but, aside from the 15 minutes before half time, we defended well enough, and I think just about did enough for the win. The 4-2-3-1 certainly seems to give us a better base to control games, especially out of possession. It allows our full backs to defend first and foremost, and gives our front four the licence to go and express themselves. Two wins in three days when under some serious pressure is not to be sniffed at. It'd be nice to follow it up with a win at Reading next Saturday. 

Edited by frastheowl

Using his lordship's ratings.

Dawson 6 

Palmer 6 

Penney 6

Lees 4

Thorniley 6

Bannan 6

Pelupessy 6

Joao 4

Reach 4

Matias 6

Nuhiu 1 (and I'm usually a fan of his)

If I were to use my own, nobody would have gotten above 2 and that's being generous.  It was a completely unacceptable shambles of a performance against the worst Championship team I can remember seeing.  

Edited by Sham67

11 hours ago, BRADDO said:

I voted for Penny too. He looks a player this lad. 

Shirt is most definitely his to lose now IMO. 

What pleases me the most is...he looks comfortable out there. Not a single sign of any nerves or being overawed. 

Looks like he should be out there. 

46 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Shirt is most definitely his to lose now IMO. 

What pleases me the most is...he looks comfortable out there. Not a single sign of any nerves or being overawed. 

Looks like he should be out there. 

Absolutely, It was another remarkable performance for a young lad making only his second start. Very impressive. No more Mr Fox in league games I would suggest.

18 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Nuhiu very poor today! Struggles to hold poor up and very poor and brining others into play!

Reach, shocking does nothing, lazy, no end product, bottler, never takes responsibility just runs around pointing at players trying to pass them onto another Player!

Penney and Throniley did well.

Matias and Palmer worked hard.

Foriesteri and Fletcher have to start everygame! 

Agreed....... apart from your Reach comments. Reach was poor against Ipswich, but he is being played out of position and looks lost. He is not lazy and doesn’t bottle it. There’s were many games last season where he carried the team. Cut the lad a bit of slack, he’s in important part of our team and when he finds his form again, he’ll contribute greatly.

19 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Dawson 6

Palmer 6

Lees 7

Thorniley 7

Penney 7

Matias 7

Joey 6

Bannan 8

Reach 6

Joao 7

Dave 4

I agree with this assessment. Fletcher and FF worked hard enough when they were on. I can't remember ever seeing Fletch and Dave on at the same time. May have but cannot remember when.

Overall we were slow to react at times and there were too many dithering on the ball and getting caught with it. Got to work on keeping the ball better and minimising missed placed passes .Too much overplaying when simple will do. Still lots to work on. But a win is a win, so lets be pleased with that.

Will be interesting to see the team against Wolves.

Edited by Whatahoot

Guest Willow Owl
6 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Dawson - 7 - Fumble early on from the cross, but made a real smart save to keep it at 1-1. I've no issues with him...he's a more than competent Championship keeper, who will only get better.

Palmer - 7 - Thought he had a strong 1st half with some good one-on-one defending. Superb clearance off the line also. 2nd half he was disappointing, consistently making poor decisions in offensive areas. But he looks much better with some protection in front of him.

Lees - 7 - Generally did what he needed to well. Aside from a mad 15 minutes before half time, Ipswich didn't offer too much tbh.

Thorniley - 7 - Man of the Match - Similar to Lees, in so much that what he did, he did well, without really been troubled. Just like his aggressive nature. Looks the one-on-one battle. Just shaded the rest of the back four to Man of the Match.

Penny - 7 - Another solid performance. Looks comfortable on the ball, and like Thorniley, likes to defend. Given the appropriate game time, we could have a player on our hands here.

Pelupessy - 5 - It was a different game to Millwall, and it just seemed to pass him by once again. Pelupessy plays his best games when we press high and play with a tempo when out of possession. Looked rushed on the ball once again.

Bannan - 7 - In the 2nd half, he was everywhere once again. Didn't use the ball as well as he did Wednesday night, but he's still our most creative and important player. His delivery from corners has improved also. Three brilliant crosses yesterday, two of which led to goals, one of which Thorniley should've scored.

Matias - 6 - Worked tirelessly, and did a great job protecting Palmer. Didn't really happen for him with the ball, and should've perhaps done better with the chance when clean through.

Reach - 4 - Don't know what was up with Reach yesterday, but he was hopeless. Didn't see much of the ball, and when he did, he first touch and awareness was so far off his usual. 

Joao - 7 - Took his goals well. Struggled to have much of an impact in the 1st half (like most), looked more dangerous in the 2nd when the space began to appear. Decent return to the side though.

Nuhiu - 5 - He had one of those days, but he continued to cause Ipswich issues. In the 1st half especially, he was finding a lot of space in between Chalobah and their two centre halves. As the game went on, Chambers and Nsiala just worked him out, and nullified him. Nuhiu has always struggled against big, physical centre halves...Ipswich had two. 

Overall, it wasn't pretty. Our attacking players didn't really manage get through 3rd gear at any point, but, aside from the 15 minutes before half time, we defended well enough, and I think just about did enough for the win. The 4-2-3-1 certainly seems to give us a better base to control games, especially out of possession. It allows our full backs to defend first and foremost, and gives our front four the licence to go and express themselves. Two wins in three days when under some serious pressure is not to be sniffed at. It'd be nice to follow it up with a win at Reading next Saturday. 

I know its opinions but Nuhiu more than reach? Has to have been one of the worst centre forward performances i have ever seen. He caused their midfield more issues than the centre halves because he hardly ever got in the box. Reach did have an average game but its not very often you can say that. 

I really don't get the negativity with Pelupessy.  He's effectively playing central midfield on his own as Bannon goes wandering all over the place, there was also Reach in this formation but he played much further forward.  He works incredibly hard and covers a huge amount of ground, probably not technically the best player but he's very important in this system.

Between the two young lads for MoTM for me though.  Thorniley was excellent, but Penney just snatches it as I thought he was outstanding throughout the game.  

Guest Kagoshimaowl
12 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Using his lordship's ratings.

Dawson 6 

Palmer 6 

Penney 6

Lees 4

Thorniley 6

Bannan 6

Pelupessy 6

Joao 4

Reach 4

Matias 6

Nuhiu 1 (and I'm usually a fan of his)

If I were to use my own, nobody would have gotten above 2 and that's being generous.  It was a completely unacceptable shambles of a performance against the worst Championship team I can remember seeing.  

I thought we were poor yesterday too but your ratings are a sham mate.