#SWFC Under 23's vs Millwall today - 12pm KickOff

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

amazes me that millwall would do a round trip of 380 miles on a Monday morning for a under 23s game ... ….why cant they just have a north and south league like in the central league days .

To prepare young players for the rigours of first team football - long distance travelling will be a part of their lives if they want to go far in the game

4 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

To prepare young players for the rigours of first team football - long distance travelling will be a part of their lives if they want to go far in the game

Any rumours kicking about the place today mate?

Other than people getting mistaken about who was watching through windows that is

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

is that the official line or just your opinion …. ...if  they had an overnight stay then I could go with that   but if they didn't they must have got up around 5am to get here .and I doubt any club in the football league would do that for there for 1st team . 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I think if we weren't playing on Thursday, the likes of Boyd, Matias, Jones, Nielsen and Van Aken could well have been playing today.

I think not, althought the U23s are always likely to accommodate the odd 1st teamer coming back from injury

Neil Thompson seems to work with an established group geared to receiving younger players making the step up from our U18s

I think recent selections suggest the likes of Baker & Nielsen are part of the 1st team squad now

And there are another four of five who aren't too far behind them, and that's good

I don't think we'd see that level of progress if these games were simply used to give 'fringe' 1st team squad members match practice

We seem to have genuine wing-back options further down the club. If we persevere with wing-backs and remain under an embargo there’s every chance that one or two of the younger options will be first choice before the end of the season?

2 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

Fair to say we know who'll be in the squad on Thursday, looking forward to seeing the likes of Penney, Hunt, O'Grady, Preston etc

I'd expect those four to be involved at some stage

But I'd also expect Sunderland to be up for this one

There's nothing to be gained by selecting an inexperienced side and watching them get beat

32 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We seem to have genuine wing-back options further down the club. If we persevere with wing-backs and remain under an embargo there’s every chance that one or two of the younger options will be first choice before the end of the season?

Which is also why, if the embargo is lifted, we use the loan system to cover those slots We do need to upgrade now, but if we do have promising young wing backs, we don’t want to permanently block their progress into the team We just need to buy ourselves a bit of time 

1 minute ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'd expect those four to be involved at some stage

But I'd also expect Sunderland to be up for this one

There's nothing to be gained by selecting an inexperienced side and watching them get beat

Yes my thoughts as well

Guest Grez Bez

Joe West is good in the air 
Joe West where the skies are blue 
Joe West is gonna batter you
Joe West is gonna batter you

Anyway... Good result; hope the young lads do get a chance  V Sunderland. People keep writing off Stobbs (and more recently Penney) but they are still young; Stobbs feels like he has been around for years because he made his debut at 17.

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

amazes me that millwall would do a round trip of 380 miles on a Monday morning for a under 23s game ... ….why cant they just have a north and south league like in the central league days .

At cat 2 their are southern and northern regional leagues. Each club plays each team in their own section home and away whilst they play each team from the other section just once

Early season when the weather is more predictable is when the longer journeys are scheduled

Cat 1 teams are in 2 leagues and both are national

8 minutes ago, scram said:

At cat 2 their are southern and northern regional leagues. Each club plays each team in their own section home and away whilst they play each team from the other section just once

Early season when the weather is more predictable is when the longer journeys are scheduled

Cat 1 teams are in 2 leagues and both are national

Well, I never knew that ... Cheers