So who identified transfer targets?

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Happens to all Wednesday managers for some reason

Happened to Megson, Dave Jones, Carlos etc etc - all of em
Every time a manager does defensive at Sheffield Wednesday it doesn't work

That's why KEEGAN is the man

lol

(on a serious note though we need to go out with the mentality of scoring first, scoring most and trying to win every game 6-5)

True this

Even Laws decided on turdball eventually 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Most to my memory were welcomed by OT especially Fletcher.

To be fair there's a massive difference between fans welcoming new signings and even being excited by them, and being responsible in any way for their signing

Massive difference between the two

Owlstalk Shop

It was catastrophic.

Many fans including myself on here questioned it at the time, but were shouted down because WE'RE ON OUR WAYYY, IF YOU QUESTION ANYTHING YOU'RE BEING NEGATIVE, ON OUR WAYYYY HOW DO WE GET THERE I DON'T KNOW, HOW DO WE GET THERE I DON'T CARE, ALL I KNOW IS NO ONE HAS A CLUE 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair there's a massive difference between fans welcoming new signings and even being excited by them, and being responsible in any way for their signing

Massive difference between the two

Pin this comment. Because for some fans it's hard to understand. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It was catastrophic.

Many fans including myself on here questioned it at the time, but were shouted down because WE'RE ON OUR WAYYY, IF YOU QUESTION ANYTHING YOU'RE BEING NEGATIVE, ON OUR WAYYYY HOW DO WE GET THERE I DON'T KNOW, HOW DO WE GET THERE I DON'T CARE, ALL I KNOW IS NO ONE HAS A CLUE 

Everyone questioned it at the time there was only me who welcomed them.  I need to get some of that hindsight stuff. 

18 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He'd have the final say in terms of releasing the money yes. But he can't have been the one identifying the areas that needed strengthening and who was the most suitable player, surely. 

If it's true that Carlos was the one who pursued the likes of Abdi and Jones, while missing the glaring holes in other areas, then he has to shoulder a large portion of blame.

The thing is they where both decent players before they joined us. Jones was a regular starter for Burnley and Abdi was one of the best midfield players in the Championship. What the hell happens to these players when they sign for us!?!

Just now, Watson said:

Everyone questioned it at the time there was only me who welcomed them.  I need to get some of that hindsight stuff. 

No one is going to not welcome a new signing are they.

But many people questioned why we hadn't signed a proper centre half to partner Loovens? Why have we signed both Jones and Abdi, experienced and could turn out good players but hardly the midfield beast we need. Why have we still not signed anyone with pace? Fletcher's got a decent CV but his wages are huge, has he ever been a prolific goalscorer where he's been? 

A lot of comments that at the time. But the narrative was 'we're spending money let's enjoy it and stop whinging'. And we did. Because we trusted those in charge.

20 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

"In the first instance, and to be clear, all our potential transfer targets are identified by the head coach.
It is the responsibility of Carlos to present players that he believes will improve our squad.
The strategy has always been to have two players for each position.
This covers all options and ensures competition for places in the team is strong as the players challenge each other. 

"Our committee will discuss in detail the prospect of any player signing for Sheffield Wednesday.
There are many things to consider on a player fitting into the structure of our squad and our club as a whole so it is important that every aspect is scrutinised to reach the right conclusion.
We must also assess the player as an investment and his long term value to our club.

"Carlos will present his targets on a basis of preference.
So if we cannot achieve the first target, we move on to the second and so on.
Of course, it may well be that our advisors suggest another player on occasion in discussion – this is completely normal – and the head coach will say yes or no, the final say on any player’s suitability rests with him.

From the Chairmans Q&A

Maybe an idea to get Radio Sheffield to ask Carlos for his take on that. 

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Happens to all Wednesday managers for some reason

Happened to Megson, Dave Jones, Carlos etc etc - all of em
Every time a manager does defensive at Sheffield Wednesday it doesn't work

That's why KEEGAN is the man

lol

(on a serious note though we need to go out with the mentality of scoring first, scoring most and trying to win every game 6-5)

Yup and Jos did it at the weekend with that clusterfuck of a defensive system and his use of Hutchinson. All that after having the winning formula last season winning 8 out of 10, it seemed like he lost his nerve by not playing 3 up front and trying to attack them. Felt a little De Ja Vu to me :carlosswfc:

1 minute ago, Sticky belly said:

Yup and Jos did it at the weekend with that clusterfuck of a defensive system and his use of Hutchinson. All that after having the winning formula last season winning 8 out of 10, it seemed like he lost his nerve by not playing 3 up front and trying to attack them. Felt a little De Ja Vu to me :carlosswfc:

I didn't see that formation as negative though mate

Saw it more as 'experimental jazz'

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I didn't see that formation as negative though mate

Saw it more as 'experimental jazz'

lol

Maybe. Still thought he should have been more positive though with his approach though. He put us on the back foot with that system from the start imho.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

The thing is they where both decent players before they joined us. Jones was a regular starter for Burnley and Abdi was one of the best midfield players in the Championship. What the hell happens to these players when they sign for us!?!

They were decent players and fair enough, no one would have predicted how catastrophically bad they'd turn out to be for the club in general.

But we didn't really need 2 more midfielders of that type, they were expensive and offered ZERO resale value. Both were signed on long contracts. We went into September that year STILL needing a at least 1 CB, a tough tackling midfielder and a LB. Minimum. 

The point is, whoever decided to spend that portion of our budget on those players, rather than in areas that were so clearly lacking, needs sacking.