Cameron Dawson and the goalkeeper situation

It's the Wednesday way to have our number one goalkeeper choice Keiran Westwood mysteriously disappear and get taken out of Jos player pool, and for fans to triumphantly herald the new young keepers as the answer, only for the brand new first choice keeper Dawson to concede three goals in his first 90 minutes.

Even if the defending was woeful we now have a keeper who has let three past him in his first game this season as the first choice.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure Dawson will be mentally tough enough, but you gotta admit it's not the ideal situation by any means. 

I know we WANT these young players to be strong enough for the Championship. We all want that. 

We just need it to be so.

Owlstalk Shop

If FFP or whatever it is now called necessitates selling Westwood (a saleable asset), you can understand that.

However surely until he goes you play your best eleven. Westwood is better than either of the 2 youngsters. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's the Wednesday way to have our number one goalkeeper choice Keiran Westwood mysteriously disappear and get taken out of Jos player pool, and for fans to triumphantly herald the new young keepers as the answer, only for the brand new first choice keeper Dawson to concede three goals in his first 90 minutes.

Even if the defending was woeful we now have a keeper who has let three past him in his first game this season as the first choice.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm sure Dawson will be mentally tough enough, but you gotta admit it's not the ideal situation by any means. 

I know we WANT these young players to be strong enough for the Championship. We all want that. 

We just need it to be so.

I'd love to know what has happened with Westwood, he is the number one keeper in this league and should play at all costs when fit.

12 minutes ago, pj owl said:

If FFP or whatever it is now called necessitates selling Westwood (a saleable asset), you can understand that.

However surely until he goes you play your best eleven. Westwood is better than either of the 2 youngsters. 

Bizarre definitely - Is Westwood even registered to play this season? I'm assuming he must be

Owlstalk Shop

I can understand people like Jones not getting in the squad and we are no doubt stick with him until his contract runs out because there will be no one wanting to pay or take him. ( I’d like to assume the club are doing all they can to ship out these surplus to requirements type or the ones not in the managers plans ) However undoubtably Westwood is our best keeper and if there is no buyers or we haven’t moved him on he plays. To pay a player or even to have a player of his quality at the club and to freeze him out is criminal. We lost one of better youth prospect of last year with this treatment of players.

You play you best 11 if he stays he plays

im really hoping a statement even if it’s bull comes out declaring there was a legitimate reason for his absence today 

Who is to blame for the state we are in now? , we have one of the best goalkeepers in this division practically banned from playing for us , we banned a young International striker for a full season , prices are far too high . I could go on and on Westwood’s the final straw for me it’s a bloody disgrace . This is the first season I can ever remember where I am not remotely not up for it who is to blame for this ? I’m am priced out of following the team I love who do I blame ? 

Of course, Westwood might be happy with a move and is waiting to see what happens before the end of the transfer window. He’s as quiet on the situation as much as the club. Is this because he’s a true professional or because he’s holding the aces?

No one comes in and he’s mysteriously back as first choice. A move happens and the club take the hit.