If Hunt leaves....

Hunt leaving finances signing Venancio, who by all accounts is our top summer target.

Anyone expecting top signings is seriously deluded, more departures to come.

U18's/19's/23's to fill the void and reduce the wage bill.

It's a strange situation to be in, loadsa money but we're unable to spend it........:Chansiri:

3 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

Hunt leaving finances signing Venancio, who by all accounts is our top summer target.

Anyone expecting top signings is seriously deluded, more departures to come.

U18's/19's/23's to fill the void and reduce the wage bill.

It's a strange situation to be in, loadsa money but we're unable to spend it........:Chansiri:

Yes, it's like being cast adrift in the middle of the ocean.

Water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink ... :Pelupessy:

12 hours ago, Owl14 said:

Step up ash baker 

proved he’s good enough against Norwich 

Would be nice, hopefully he has looked awesome in pre season, but a lot of pressure on an inexperienced player.....only one way to gain experience though and would be great to see if he could step up and make the position his own 

1 minute ago, striker said:

Would be nice, hopefully he has looked awesome in pre season, but a lot of pressure on an inexperienced player.....only one way to gain experience though and would be great to see if he could step up and make the position his own 

He looked OK. But by no means a natural wing back. More of a solid right back, we would need much better if we continue playing wing backs.

11 hours ago, prowl said:

He might be the best RB at the club but he's not irreplaceable and he's not one of our 'stars'. He's a decent quality Championship RB. To my mind he was a better player in his first season than he is now, maybe my expectations are higher now than they were back then or he's been trained out of what he offered before.

If he was bought for say £2.1M* on a 3.5 year contract he will be carried on the books at £600k, the rest has been written down. Now we have £1.6m coming in and we won't have to write off the £600k he would have cost us this year. We also save his wages, result all round if my figures are in the right ball park.

*I've no idea what we paid for him. 

Prowl if he has 18 month left on his contract we will have to write of £900k because we have sold him, £1.6m + the saving from his wages which have got to be £10-15k a week. 

When you start a contract and you write it down of say 4 years if you sell him with 18 months left you have to write off whats left to be written off. This is one of the reason i don't think the club has rushed to offload Matias and Abdi because we would have to lose their fees all at once but now they are in the final year of contract not as much of a problem.

13 hours ago, Owl14 said:

Step up ash baker 

proved he’s good enough against Norwich 

Would be nice but we also have to plan if against Wigan he gets destroyed that we can bring a replacement in before the transfer window shuts 7 days after the Wigan game, at that point though any players will cost 3 times more than they did now.

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Prowl if he has 18 month left on his contract we will have to write of £900k because we have sold him, £1.6m + the saving from his wages which have got to be £10-15k a week. 

When you start a contract and you write it down of say 4 years if you sell him with 18 months left you have to write off whats left to be written off. This is one of the reason i don't think the club has rushed to offload Matias and Abdi because we would have to lose their fees all at once but now they are in the final year of contract not as much of a problem.

As I understand it he signed a 3.5 year contract in the January so it expires in June 2019. It's from Wikipedia so I accept it might not be 100% accurate. Most contracts do expire at the end of a season.

1 hour ago, bigrbuk said:

Don't like this Lee as RWB chat. Think I'd prefer his late box runs and little interplays from the middle if I'm honest. One midfielder who is capable of 10 goals if he keeps fit for a season.

He came to us has a Right Back playing him as a wing back makes sense

1 hour ago, bigrbuk said:

Don't like this Lee as RWB chat. Think I'd prefer his late box runs and little interplays from the middle if I'm honest. One midfielder who is capable of 10 goals if he keeps fit for a season.

The problem is where does he fit then based on what we know about how jos likes to line up in the middle?

Bannan when fit is a near enough guaranteed starter, then next to him we need a more defensive player.

Because of this its a case of playing him off the bench as understudy to Bannan or fit him in somewhere. Right wing back seems the logical fit to me.

25 minutes ago, akbuk said:

He came to us has a Right Back playing him as a wing back makes sense

16 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

The problem is where does he fit then based on what we know about how jos likes to line up in the middle?

Bannan when fit is a near enough guaranteed starter, then next to him we need a more defensive player.

Because of this its a case of playing him off the bench as understudy to Bannan or fit him in somewhere. Right wing back seems the logical fit to me.

He did, and we moved him central and he became one of the best midfielders in the league. I'd like to see him try the role out, but I fear we'll miss him in the middle.

It looks like Jos has more than one plan, so maybe it could be a 3-5-2 away, 3-4-3 at home. That could see him in a middle 3 with Bannan and Hutch/Pelupessy DM away, and RWB at home.

Jos is more qualified than me, I'll let him sort it out :)

2 hours ago, bigrbuk said:

Me too, i'd like to see us go for Moses Odubadjo on a free, very good in the playoff final a few years ago.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

As I understand it he signed a 3.5 year contract in the January so it expires in June 2019. It's from Wikipedia so I accept it might not be 100% accurate. Most contracts do expire at the end of a season.

It is what it is but because he is leaving we have to release what we haven't to that point into the accounts.

Hunt going is good business £1.5m into the coffers, saving on his wages and could give us some room to strengthen elsewhere.

I hope we get Iorfa on a season loan for probably good money to replace him, he will be an improvement and could also sort the issue of the right wing back in one player.

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

Correct