WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

Current World Cup summary from me:

France: Look like they're missing something, they've got the players but I didn't see enough energy.

Germany: Don't look like a Germany team, they won't win it this year and we'd easily beat them with our pace.

Brazil: A team of individuals, yes they've got the talent, but I've seen people compare them to the 2002 team...NO CHANCE.

Argentina: Not good enough, everything is through Messi and he just can't do it by himself.

Spain: Looked very good in spells and play some great football, but fragile defensively.  

Portugal: Keep Ronaldo quiet and you'll beat them.

So what im saying is... WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP.

• Like 1

So who had Poland and Colombia down as favourites to progress from Group H?

Colombia  1-2  Japan ... Conceding a penalty and going down to 10 men after 5mins or so probably affected the result

But there was still plenty in the game to make it worth watching

Poland  1-2  Senegal ... Same here, although I got the impression Ally McCoist had bet the farm on a Poland win - he wasn't happy at all

I'm sure their fans were left disappointed too, but let's give Senegal some credit

Perhaps results like these only appeal to those of us who're partial to a bit of 'underdogging' :stuwinky: but with the first round of group matches completed I'll stick to seven out of ten for the tournament so far - so on to round two ...

Russia  3-1  Egypt ... I'd hardly call this one an upset but the BBC panel were predicting an Egypt win  :mellow:

Don't get that, Russia playing at home and on a roll - still, we had our customary own goal and obligatory VAR penalty

Another good game though (imo)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

So who had Poland and Colombia down as favourites to progress from Group H?

Colombia  1-2  Japan ... Conceding a penalty and going down to 10 men after 5mins or so probably affected the result

But there was still plenty in the game to make it worth watching

Poland  1-2  Senegal ... Same here, although I got the impression Ally McCoist had bet the farm on a Poland win - he wasn't happy at all

I'm sure their fans were left disappointed too, but let's give Senegal some credit

Perhaps results like these only appeal to those of us who're partial to a bit of 'underdogging' :stuwinky: but with the first round of group matches completed I'll stick to seven out of ten for the tournament so far - so on to round two ...

Russia  3-1  Egypt ... I'd hardly call this one an upset but the BBC panel were predicting an Egypt win  :mellow:

Don't get that, Russia playing at home and on a roll - still, we had our customary own goal and obligatory VAR penalty

Another good game though (imo)

Putin fixed the Russia score last week, explains the 5-0 result. FIFA are that corrupt sounds plausible 

3 minutes ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

Putin fixed the Russia score last week, explains the 5-0 result. FIFA are that corrupt sounds plausible 

I do wonder how Russia will fare with VAR if they're in the closing stages of a tight game

Enter video ref ... Igor Swarbrickski  :dry:

• Haha 3

Portugal  1-0  Morocco ... Headlines are all about Ronaldo's 4th minute winner but the best team lost on the day

Five of the six best players on show were Moroccan (imo), the other was Portugal's keeper

Uruguay  1-0  Saudi ... Grim

There were about ten minutes in the 2nd half when I thought Uruguay might be looking for a second goal

The rest of it was an exercise in keeping the crowd docile - they could be playing now, it'd still be 1-0

Iran  0-1  Spain ... Total contrast - favourites living up to their billing, underdogs giving it everything they've got

The winner was a fluke, Iran had cause to curse VAR and their own poor finishing and the atmosphere was electric

Spain v Morocco could be one for the purists but I think I'll be rooting for Iran against Portugal

• Like 1

I think Portugal have a lot to be wary of with their final game versus Iran. Yes a point will be a enough but the Portugal defence looks very suspect especially in the left back area. Also Spain will get knocked out as soon as they face a decent attack, very shaky at the back and their ball retention has not been as slick as usual.

It also looks like Uruguay (my dark horse tips) could bore their way to the latter stages, very strong in defence and with Suarez and Cavani in attack clinical with such few chances created, they do however look very weak in midfield from a creative point of view. They remind me of Portugal and how they won Euro 2016.

On 19/06/2018 at 20:57, bradowl said:

No automatic alt text available.

Scottish mate of mine posted on Facebook that he was getting fed up of female pundits commentating on the men’s game, asking what people thought.

I suggested we should encourage it so the ladies could explain the finer points of the beautiful game to the Scottish. 

• Haha 1

Denmark  1-1  Australia ... My own tendancy to favour the underdog doesn't usually apply where Australia are concerned, although I did want them to beat France

The way Eriksen's sublime strike was cancelled out by the second worst VAR penalty award so far said it all

But they were the better side in the 2nd half and unlucky in the end not to win - funny old game

France  1-0  Peru ... France were a different proposition after their goal, I thought we might get to see what they're capable of

But no, they preferred their default setting after half time - doing the bare minimum and content to keep their opponents at arm's length

So next Tuesday, what? France are through, I think I can live without another 90mins of them, especially when there's nothing really to play for ...

giphy.gif

... so I'll go Australia v Peru, I think. two sides who'll want to give their fans something to smile about

Argentina  0-3  Croatia ... Now here we had the makings of a proper game, two sides bristling with talent and with everything to play for

It was bound to get feisty so what we didn't need was a weak referee who missed all the naughty stuff and punished all the petty stuff

We didn't need VAR because it clearly DOESN'T WORK, and we didn't need Lawrenson constantly chipping in

But despite all that, what we got was (IMO) another great game, perhaps the best of the tournament yet

... and that's not because Argentina lost (although it helps) - besides, they aren't out yet. By tomorrow, maybe. But not yet

Come on Iceland  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brazil  2-0  Costa Rica ... Heartbreaking for Costa Rica, to play like they did and keep a clean sheet for 91mins

But the win was nothing less than Brazil deserved, and the ref just about managed to get the better of Neymar too

Although if that penalty had have stood and Brazil had won the match 1-0 I wouldn't have been saying any of this

Nigeria  2-0  Iceland ... And all of a sudden, it's not about Iceland anymore. Although few would've predicted this result at half time

A draw would have suited Argentina more than a win for Nigeria, because anything less than a win and they're out

Nigeria ought to have their tails up next Tuesday night and that's the one I'll be watching

Serbia  1-2  Switzerland ... Another good game with an unexpected twist at the end ...... or was it? Unexpected, I mean

This German ref made more than a couple of highly dubious decisions, the clearest being Mitrovic's penalty claim

We joke about the Blatter Hot Line but Infantino is Swiss too, and even though FIFA are always so squeaky clean

I can't help but feel their side got a lot of help tonight

Anyroad, the outcome is that Serbia (who looked well placed to progress for most of this game) now have to beat Brazil next Wednesday night

It's a tall order, but who knows. I'll be tuned in

• Like 1