WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

Eight games in, what do we think of it so far?

For a start, I always tend to root for the underdog, so that does affect my judgement sometimes, but still ...

Russia  5-0  Saudi ... Good game helped by the quality of the goals. Had it finished 3-0 it would still have been alright.

Pleased for the hosts, Saudi were poor though

Egypt  0-1  Uruguay ... Not so good. Wanted Egypt to win but Uruguay were poor and still the better side

Was hoping Suarez would bite someone, just to liven things up

Morocco  0-1  Iran ... Ditto ^  1st half better than the 2nd - best team lost to a late own goal

Portugal  3-3  Spain ... Brilliant game, the type you hope would never end - pace, quality, goals, it had it all

Really whet my appetite for yesterday's 4 game marathon

Overall standard of refereeing was pretty good too

France  2-1  Australia ... Another poor game made rotten by the introduction of VAR together with some truly embarrassing theatrics

Australia were never going to to win it but the French were lucky to get a penalty (Platini Hot Line still works then) and their winner was a fluke

Argentina  1-1  Iceland ... Restored some faith in the competition (for me). Argentina didn't really get going until after the penalty miss

By then I just wanted Iceland to hold on for the point - last 15mins were pretty good

Peru  0-1  Denmark ... Up for this one too, but shared the disappointment with a stadium full of Peruvians at the end

They started bright, missed a penalty, conceded and then had another go - Denmark finished comfortable winners

Croatia  2-0  Nigeria ... Possibly the worst game so far, although I did cheer the ref's decision on the penalty - when will they start booking players for diving though?

Nigeria (esp. Moses) were nearly as bad as the French! Croatia didn't need to play well to win - they didn't, and won easily

So far, I'll give the tournament six out of ten

But given VAR, that seems a little generous

• Like 2

Brazil drew 

spain drew 

Portugal drew 

argentina drew

Germany lost 

this could blow the tournament open & make it interesting instead of it being a 4ish horse race like the premiership 

ps: c’mon England 

• Thanks 1

Costa Rica  0-1  Serbia ... Not bad although the longer it went on, the more it seemed like Can't Score v Hard To Beat

Kolarov worldy settled it - Serbia might yet prove to be a genuine dark horse

Germany  0-1  Mexico ... hahahahahaha - no, seriously - HAHAHAHAHAHA

Great game for the neutral, unless you happen to be @pgmetcalf

Nothing flukey about it either, Mexico might go far in the competition an' all

Brazil  1-1  Switzerland ... Another enjoyable game with a satisfying result

I like watching Brazil, their flair and invention but I dunno, they get so mardy when they aren't allowed to win

And Neymar? Don't get me started. The Prince Of Sulk. He embodies everything I detest about the modern game

Shame they don't play Serbia next

Today was much better than yesterday, so I'll upgrade the tournament so far to a seven 

I do wish they'd leave VAR out of it though - TV panel saying the Swiss goal shouldn't have stood, come on!! - Don't they realize Blatter's Hot Line still works too?

Been a decent watch so far. Thought Spain v Portugal was a classic. It’s also been good to see some competition rather than the smaller countries just making up the numbers. Hopefully we get off to a good start tomorrow to give the tournament areal buzz in this country.

3 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

And Neymar? Don't get me started. The Prince Of Sulk.

To be fair, he was harried all match, and many times it went completely ignored by the ref. Well played by the Swiss, they knew what they were doing.