WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

To be fair I think international 

wise England players try too hard ...

Hence the edginess 

The fear of failure outweighs the  job in hand 

For donkeys years our England 

Players treat the ball like it's mined , they can't wait to get rid of it for fear it will explode !!

I personally don't think most of them are anywhere near as good as they think they are. Fear has to be a factor too, thought they were decent today and the commentary made up of previous bottlers (bar a few) slated them almost constantly. 

4 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

I personally don't think most of them are anywhere near as good as they think they are. Fear has to be a factor too, thought they were decent today and the commentary made up of previous bottlers (bar a few) slated them almost constantly. 

Pretty much what I said then ?

but using different words ...

lol

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Pretty much what I said then ?

but using different words ...

lol

Haha. You would think the ex players would be more understanding, funny enough it's the ex players that played well for England that seem to be a lot more encouraging. The complete flops at international level luv to have a dig. 

The thing I liked the most about tonight was Southgate uncharacteristically going wild in front of the fans at the end.

I reckon the squad like him and will fight hard for him. Too often have England had a manager that is difficult to relate to, be it for their age, nationality or actual tangible success.

Southgate has relatively recent first hand experience of modern media pressure, experience of working with a young squad and is therefore well placed to prepare his players mentally. He is a mild mannered likeable bloke and whilst I don't expect us to win the World Cup I expect a much better showing this time round.

Edited by OutspokenTom
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Hence the edginess 

Players treat the ball like it's mined , they can't wait to get rid of it for fear it will explode !!

some of the short first time passing last night was utterly stupid, why not spread the ball instead of pi**ing about with it in an area the size of someone's lounge.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

some of the short first time passing last night was utterly stupid, why not spread the ball instead of pi**ing about with it in an area the size of someone's lounge.

Pretty much what I put  but I was slightly kinder than you ....

Only slightly mind .....lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Oh sorry I must be wrong in thinking to be a 

great player you must perform in the world cup, when in reality you have to bang them in against Huddersfield or Stoke, cos that's where it's really at. 

No need to apologise, but Real,Barca,Man c Liverpool probably have better sides than most if not all in the world cup 

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Sterling excels when the defenders commit themselves to the tackle but in international football, the defenders will wait and allow Sterling to take the wrong decision.  

... or else collect the ball, sprint to the edge of the box, turn onto his right foot and then pass it to the nearest defender  :dry:

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Hence the edginess 

Kind of hope the result has given everyone's confidence a boost

There was a point in the second half when I thought it'd only take a 'Joe Hart moment' to turn this into another Iceland performance

Thankfully that never happened and credit where it's due - those players kept going and got the win they fully deserved

8 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Kind of hope the result has given everyone's confidence a boost

There was a point in the second half when I thought it'd only take a 'Joe Hart moment' to turn this into another Iceland performance

Thankfully that never happened and credit where it's due - those players kept going and got the win they fully deserved

Yes absolutely Ethel ..

Usual England playing another team and the Referee yet again in major competition. .

Sonofbert2  got it bang on the money with the VAR picture gag 

They weren't watching our match that's for sure ....:stuwinky:

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Hence the edginess 

Easy to see why 

They're getting abused on Twitter/Social media today despite winning

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Easy to see why 

They're getting abused on Twitter/Social media today despite winning

You are right mate ..

Last night was as usual an uphill battle. 

We did well to beat Tunisia the referee and the "cyber refs" too 

Still think the Walker foul was a penalty 

He can't do that and get away with it 

Ashley Young will have to watch out too 

He's a red card waiting to happen !!

3 points move on ...

Well done England ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the monk said:

No need to apologise, but Real,Barca,Man c Liverpool probably have better sides than most if not all in the world cup 

I agree quality wise, but pressure and the fact people actually give their all matters imo. Hence why it seperates the good and great players and will continue to do so. 

It's funny how the good international players we have had like shearer seem to respect all world cup opposition, whilst the international flops slate the quality of the opposition and think we should walk over them, like they are above it because they played for arsenal in the prem. 

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

On 13/06/2018 at 17:37, daleblue said:

Get yourself out buy a big telly (always a good investment for watching Wednesday).:dry:

BELIEVE.

For long periodss , especially in the second half last night, I thought I was watching Wednesday. Scoreline reading 1-1, and England defenders playing keep-all in their own half. Why we not pressing them? And unforunately for them, the fell to a sucker-punch last minute goal.Kane's goal. however, could be, for me, in lie for goal of the tournament! It was so SIMPLE. Hang around the far post at a set play. Find an acre of space and calmly, but beautifully, head ball into virtually undefended goal. Simple football at its best.

13 hours ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

this completely, they were getting slated in the second half even though I thought they were very good in the first half.....then all is sweetness and light when Kane scored the winner.

Re the pundits, most are a waste of space.....a notable exception being Shearer. he clearly enjoys the game but tells it how it is (both positive and negative).....and why, which is what most of them don't. Murphy says loads but tells us nothing that we couldn't see ourselves, Lawrenson is so negative he should have been pensioned off years ago. Jenas is unbelievably bland. Of those, who played well for England? Shearer, and he is the most positive.