#OnThis Day in 1966

Went to every one of the cup games that year.

We had a really young team at the time; Wilf Smith was only 19, Sam Ellis was 19, Graham Pugh 18, Jimmy Mac 19. Even David Ford, at 21, was in his debut season. Playing all the games on really heavy pitches, a mixture of blizzards, pouring rain, mudheaps, really helped us because the players were fit and above all enthusiastic. Knowing that the final would be played on the "carpet" that was then Wembley I think there was a bit of a concern that Everton with "The Golden Vision" would really show us up but we had the perfect start when McCalliog's shot was deflected in after only three or four minutes. They should have had a penalty shortly after when Ron Springett clearly brought down one of their players; I remember my dad saying to me after that that it was clearly going to be our day. And when the second went in it definitely was!

Their team was a big surprise; they had a big, burly centre forward called Fred Pickering who'd scored loads of goals for them and was expected to play but there was some falling out on the day and he was omitted. They put in Mike Trebilcock instead who nobody had ever heard of but was a different type of player entirely which threw us a bit off balance. Cried my effin' eyes out when that third went in.

We all thought that it was going to be the beginning of a Golden Age for us because of all the youngsters coming through. But the promise didn't last; one or two players had injuries at just the wrong time in their development, David Ford had his car crash and once Alan Brown had walked out we were well down the slippery slope. Perhaps if we'd got the right manager after he left we might have been okay but the Board went for the cheap and easy option, so many players became disenchanted and that was it.

The other thing to remember about that game was that Harry Catterick was the best manager Wednesday ever had. At least in modern times.

Unfortunately by 1966 he was managing Everton. I always thought it was the loss of Catterick rather than losing  Vic Mobley was our real downfall.

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Winning at Reading 3-2 in the third round was by far our most difficult match of the whole tournament but win we did. I had recently dropped out of fifth year to take an apprenticeship on £3-6-8d per week EEEPTU rates and opted for 15/- a week spends rather than pay board. My main concern through the season was that I never bought into Alan Brown. How could he replace the genius (occasionally) that was Colin Dobson with Brian Usher. By the time we got to the fifth round I was not convinced as Usher netted for the Owls at Huddersfield to send us through by a score of 2-1. Making the step up from the U18's to the reserves was Graham Pugh and it was right that he should show enough to correct the Managers poor choices regarding our width. ( A bad injury was to account for Pughs exploits as a fiery winger, but that was later). Also in the reserves was a tall ginger haired lad called Sam Ellis. I had seen him several times and was perplexed by his lack of confidence and positional sense. Following Vic Mobleys terrible injury the pressure was on to find a centre half. John Hickton was to go on to have a great career as a striker, unfortunately not for us even though he was to bag an Arsenal Christmas Hat-trick for us in a 4-0 demolition of Arsenal. It must have been a bitter pill for him when Brown preferred 17 year old Ellis over him for the No 5 Wembley shirt.

Success and failure is divided by the thinnest of lines. All looked fine as Gerry Young was detailed with looking after Ellis. Football is a difficult enough game when it comes to your own game. But having to double as a carer for 17 year old Sam Ellis was too much and a straight forward interception for poor Gerry became his nightmare. Alan Brown picked the team and it was he who had to legislate for various situations. We didn't fade but Everton found new life. We all knew what was coming at 2-2 and even after we went a goal down I remember a great effort from Megson going close at the far end. Fairy tales happen but this wasn't our story.

Alan Brown ran the tightest of ships so there were no post Cup Final leaks. On the Town Hall balcony Don Megson knew as he made the fateful promise for 67 it was a promise we all believed in but it floundered on the back of a miss hit scuffed shot in the 96th minute of our 6th Round Tie at Stamford Bridge. It was to be a long 25 year wait for our Just deserts, but I felt slightly cheated as by that time my Dad had gone !         

Wonderful. Thanks Nev.

Yes Nev I too wasn't a great Alan Brown fan(even less so after he walked out on us and left for Sunderland) but a Cup Final is a Cup Final and the players seem to really respond to him for a time(the beginning of 1967-68 springs to mind). However, he froze out my favourite player(and one of yours it seems) even though Colin Dobson scored at Newcastle in the 4th Round!!!

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Following Vic Mobleys terrible injury the pressure was on to find a centre half. John Hickton was to go on to have a great career as a striker, unfortunately not for us even though he was to bag an Arsenal Christmas Hat-trick for us in a 4-0 demolition of Arsenal. It must have been a bitter pill for him when Brown preferred 17 year old Ellis over him for the No 5 Wembley shirt.    

I never saw Hickton play at centre half but I do remember him scoring with a header in front of the demolished old Lepp in that 4-0 win against Arsenal. Derek Dooley in particular tried to get Hickton into the cup side (he'd played as a centre half for the stiffs before being moved to centre forward) but all to no avail. He was even more perplexed by Alan Brown's subsequent decision to sell him to Boro; a decision made all the more strange by Brown then going out and spending three or four times as much in bringing a similar striker (John Ritchie) to S6.

The loss of Vic Mobley and choosing his successor was the pivotal decision that decided the games outcome.

Hindsights a wonderfull gift,Hickton had played 20 plus games all as a foreward,Ellis had played 4 games already at CB,so would be in pole position,other options would have been to play Wilf Smith as a stop gap CB and put Brian Hill Back in at RB.......

Im sure it would have been in cattericks mind that the towering Ellis would be more effective against the equally tall pickering,and he made the bold,yet astute decision to play the smaller,more nimble and far quicker Trebillcock.

I was never a fan of Brown,the decision to let Hickton go,against solid advice and with a good history infront of goal would haunt us in later years,although the major culprets for the  demise of the club in subsequent years lay firmly with our tight fisted board,the evidence for that was stood in the winning dugout that fatefull day,holding yet another trophy!

66.jpg

662.jpg

Don't think Everton had conceded a goal in the cup until the final. Although I was only 5 at the time, I still think a CH pairing of Hickton and Young would have seen us through, but what happened, happened and we can still be proud of a very young side who played every game away from Hillsborough and almost won it.

20 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

On this day in 1966 I was in delirium as after 56 minutes with a 2 goal lead I was looking forward to celebrating my 16th birthday the very next day with a Cup Win. Looking back I am still disbelieving of the havoc wrought by the next 34 minutes. Tomorrow I shall be 68 but, even after all the years, the pain of that day stays with me !   

Chav :stuwinky:

disappointing day all round .....I like many others went to all 5 games and then couldn't get a ticket for the final due to the crackpot way eric taylor sold the tickets . my uncle who wasn't even a fan got one and the miserable 2 hat wouldn't let me have it , he lived for another 30 odd years but I never had anything to do with him ...

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

disappointing day all round .....I like many others went to all 5 games and then couldn't get a ticket for the final due to the crackpot way eric taylor sold the tickets . my uncle who wasn't even a fan got one and the miserable 2 hat wouldn't let me have it , he lived for another 30 odd years but I never had anything to do with him ...

What was the ticket problem?

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

What was the ticket problem?

he sold them thru the post only and then just did a ballot, no vouchers no who went to the previous games  ....any fecker could apply and I think around 100000" diehards" did .I was more disappointed when my postal order came back with the sorry sold out slip than I was about the game 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

he sold them thru the post only and then just did a ballot, no vouchers no who went to the previous games  ....any fecker could apply and I think around 100000" diehards" did .I was more disappointed when my postal order came back with the sorry sold out slip than I was about the game 

There would be riots if it happened now.

Is it why the stub system came in do you know?

I got my ticket for the final through being a member of the supporters club. Had to collect it from Hillsbro if I remember correctly.  The supporters club must have had an allocation from Wednesday. My father must have got his ticket in the ballot.

Went to all the rounds except Reading. Absolutely gutted for Vic when he was injured in the semi. No subs in those days and he probably did himself more harm by staying on and hobbling around.