#OnThis Day in 1966

On this day in 1966 I was in delirium as after 56 minutes with a 2 goal lead I was looking forward to celebrating my 16th birthday the very next day with a Cup Win. Looking back I am still disbelieving of the havoc wrought by the next 34 minutes. Tomorrow I shall be 68 but, even after all the years, the pain of that day stays with me !   

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

On this day in 1966 I was in delirium as after 56 minutes with a 2 goal lead I was looking forward to celebrating my 16th birthday the very next day with a Cup Win. Looking back I am still disbelieving of the havoc wrought by the next 34 minutes. Tomorrow I shall be 68 but, even after all the years, the pain of that day stays with me !   

Sorry to bring back painful memories Nev :-(

31 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

happy birthday for tomorrow nev

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Ditto, never recovered, still hurts when I look back, cried my eyes out as the equaliser went, you knew what was coming.

47 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Hi Nev. I was born in 1970 but similarly I have retained the pain of the 1993 final defeat. We really deserved to win a trophy that season. How did Brighty miss from 8 yards? I'll never know. If not too painful, can you shed some light on what happened in 1966? What brought about the collapse? Did they just sit back and attempt to defend the lead, Carlos esque?

Desperate day! We held that 2-0 lead for just under three minutes and immediately after Ford's goal we went up field and very nearly scored again with the Everton defence all over the place. I remember Kenneth Wolstenholme saying that "it looks as though the cup is coming home to Sheffield!" 

In March 1967 Geoffrey Green,quite a doyen of football writing in the 50's & 60's, said on Sports Report on the Light(!) Programme "Wednesday for the cup" a week before the 6th Round tie at Stamford Bridge. We all know what happened that day and we're still waiting! Don't think I shall live to see it!

Hi Braddo

In answer to your question - we played brilliantly until we went 2-0 up and then after a disastrous quarter of an hour had a real go in the last ten minutes after the players had recovered from the shock! Nothing against Sam Ellis(18) but if Mobley hadn't been injured in the Semi-Final I think we would have won.

In my opinion history repeated itself in 1993. The Blackburn League Semi was the best ever performance I've ever seen from a Wednesday team but people tend to forget that mid-way through the second half Nigel Pearson came on and broke his leg within 90 seconds! Pretty sure he hardly played again before heading for Middlesbrough. No Shirtliff in the final either I seem to recall - what a pairing those two made. No one in the football world seemed to recognise them but they were an ace combination.

On this day in 1966 I was a Merchant Navy Apprentice aboard M.V. Cienfuegos off the Pacific Coast of Mexico, headed North off the resort of Acapulco, bound for Mazatlán. We carried Ford Cars, Whiskey, Walls Ice Cream, clothing and parts for the Mercury Orbiter Tracking Station that was between Mazatlán and Guaymas. Most of the crew were Scousers half of whom were Evertonians. I had bets with all of them. At lunch which was just about half time in the game I was pretty smug. However by the end of the match I owed at least a months salary. Scousers being the lovely people that they are all let me off saying, "You can pay us back when you are skipper." Never did make skipper though my eyesight let me down.

Edited by mark1948
Needed a bit of punctuation.
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

On this day in 1966 I was a Merchant Navy Apprentice aboard M.V. Cienfuegos off the Pacific Coast of Mexico, headed North off the resort of Acapulco, bound for Mazatlán. We carried Ford Cars, Whiskey, Walls Ice Cream, clothing and parts for the Mercury Orbiter Tracking Station that was between Mazatlán and Guaymas. Most of the crew were Scousers half of whom were Evertonians. I had bets with all of them. At lunch which was just about half time in the game I was pretty smug. However by the end of the match I owed at least a months salary. Scousers being the lovely people that they are all let me off saying, "You can pay us back when you are skipper." Never did make skipper though my eyesight let me down.

Brilliant memory!!!!

38 minutes ago, Colin Dobson said:

Hi Braddo

In answer to your question - we played brilliantly until we went 2-0 up and then after a disastrous quarter of an hour had a real go in the last ten minutes after the players had recovered from the shock! Nothing against Sam Ellis(18) but if Mobley hadn't been injured in the Semi-Final I think we would have won.

In my opinion history repeated itself in 1993. The Blackburn League Semi was the best ever performance I've ever seen from a Wednesday team but people tend to forget that mid-way through the second half Nigel Pearson came on and broke his leg within 90 seconds! Pretty sure he hardly played again before heading for Middlesbrough. No Shirtliff in the final either I seem to recall - what a pairing those two made. No one in the football world seemed to recognise them but they were an ace combination.

Totally agree with you on the centre half situation in both years. 

Mobley was in great form at that time and his injury in the semi was a massive blow. I thought we played well on the day and I don’t think I’d yet developed that feeling that at 2-0 it would be typical Wednesday to throw it away. 

I was gutted but incredibly proud of them for their part in what was considered to be one of the classic Finals. First losing team to do a lap of honour, weren’t they?

The crowds down town on the Sunday to see them home were immense and that memory will stay with me forever .

Similarly in 1993 the loss of Pearson and Shirty was, I’ve always felt a major factor that year.  

Thought they would at least have sneaked one of the Finals.

34 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Hi Nev. I was born in 1970 but similarly I have retained the pain of the 1993 final defeat. We really deserved to win a trophy that season. How did Brighty miss from 8 yards? I'll never know. If not too painful, can you shed some light on what happened in 1966? What brought about the collapse? Did they just sit back and attempt to defend the lead, Carlos esque?

Winning at Reading 3-2 in the third round was by far our most difficult match of the whole tournament but win we did. I had recently dropped out of fifth year to take an apprenticeship on £3-6-8d per week EEEPTU rates and opted for 15/- a week spends rather than pay board. My main concern through the season was that I never bought into Alan Brown. How could he replace the genius (occasionally) that was Colin Dobson with Brian Usher. By the time we got to the fifth round I was not convinced as Usher netted for the Owls at Huddersfield to send us through by a score of 2-1. Making the step up from the U18's to the reserves was Graham Pugh and it was right that he should show enough to correct the Managers poor choices regarding our width. ( A bad injury was to account for Pughs exploits as a fiery winger, but that was later). Also in the reserves was a tall ginger haired lad called Sam Ellis. I had seen him several times and was perplexed by his lack of confidence and positional sense. Following Vic Mobleys terrible injury the pressure was on to find a centre half. John Hickton was to go on to have a great career as a striker, unfortunately not for us even though he was to bag an Arsenal Christmas Hat-trick for us in a 4-0 demolition of Arsenal. It must have been a bitter pill for him when Brown preferred 17 year old Ellis over him for the No 5 Wembley shirt.

Success and failure is divided by the thinnest of lines. All looked fine as Gerry Young was detailed with looking after Ellis. Football is a difficult enough game when it comes to your own game. But having to double as a carer for 17 year old Sam Ellis was too much and a straight forward interception for poor Gerry became his nightmare. Alan Brown picked the team and it was he who had to legislate for various situations. We didn't fade but Everton found new life. We all knew what was coming at 2-2 and even after we went a goal down I remember a great effort from Megson going close at the far end. Fairy tales happen but this wasn't our story.

Alan Brown ran the tightest of ships so there were no post Cup Final leaks. On the Town Hall balcony Don Megson knew as he made the fateful promise for 67 it was a promise we all believed in but it floundered on the back of a miss hit scuffed shot in the 96th minute of our 6th Round Tie at Stamford Bridge. It was to be a long 25 year wait for our Just deserts, but I felt slightly cheated as by that time my Dad had gone !         

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

i still have that  The STAR special supplement ! 

Yep me too. Programme, Star special supplement, Saturday and Mondays Morning Telegraph, songsheet. Daily Express paper hat. All shoved in a box somewhere and not quite in the pristine condition I’d hoped to keep them in. That Morning Telegraph sure goes really yellow after 50 years.