Midfield STILL Our Problem Area

IMO. Providing we get Venancio signed up and everyone fit, I still believe we’re a top class MF player short. Love B.B. and KL, both good players in their own right and Pup has done ok - but somethings missing there and it’s been said by some since the Hull P.O. final. 

• Thanks 1

Bannan and Lee in a midfield 3 would be brilliant. 

We are currently playing 3-4-3 with 2 central midfielders and as a consequence

we will not dominate possession in this formation. We will be great going forward tho.

Its a conundrum - I have often said go with a 4-3-3. If we do this, I think we need a top drawer centre half and left back.

However, we are playing well in this new formation. Hunt and Reach are natural wing backs and we look go with 3 at the back and 3 up front. We should be entertaining next season. 

20 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

IMO. Providing we get Venancio signed up and everyone fit, I still believe we’re a top class MF player short. Love B.B. and KL, both good players in their own right and Pup has done ok - but somethings missing there and it’s been said by some since the Hull P.O. final. 

Agreed, need somebody with presence in a midfield 3 who can play a bit. 

Joey is OK but he will never stamp his authority on a game, he is reasonable back up imo.

24 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Bannan and Lee in a midfield 3 would be brilliant. 

We are currently playing 3-4-3 with 2 central midfielders and as a consequence

we will not dominate possession in this formation. We will be great going forward tho.

Its a conundrum - I have often said go with a 4-3-3. If we do this, I think we need a top drawer centre half and left back.

However, we are playing well in this new formation. Hunt and Reach are natural wing backs and we look go with 3 at the back and 3 up front. We should be entertaining next season. 

I think it’s more 5 3 2 we play, with someone like FF playing the number 10 role. That’s how it seemed at times yesterday. Whether this is a long term plan I’m unsure, it leaves us still weak in MF even tho in the past Nando has done well tracking back and helping. 

Personally - I don’t think Lee / BB is the future. As I said as much as I like them. Isn’t Lee out til Christmas or was that someone else?

14 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I think it’s more 5 3 2 we play, with someone like FF playing the number 10 role. That’s how it seemed at times yesterday. Whether this is a long term plan I’m unsure, it leaves us still weak in MF even tho in the past Nando has done well tracking back and helping. 

Personally - I don’t think Lee / BB is the future. As I said as much as I like them. Isn’t Lee out til Christmas or was that someone else?

Chris Cringle?

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox

Our midfield needs beefing up with some athleticism and drive. We're not far away from what's needed - providing Hooper gets fit and stays fit.

Centre-half, centre-mid, wing-forward, and some decent competition for Reach and Hunt on the flanks. Should just about do it. 

46 minutes ago, britpunk77 said:

Agreed, need somebody with presence in a midfield 3 who can play a bit. 

Joey is OK but he will never stamp his authority on a game, he is reasonable back up imo.

The guy has just had a run of good performances.   I think this is a tad unfair.

11 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

It really depends on Jos getting the players to adapt to the wing back system properly. As yet they haven’t. If it does click then the outlet will be wide rather than central. 

Also playing wingbacks doesn’t mean constant crosses into box. They can (as we have seen before) interplay with forwards more inside, something we did well in CCs first season. 

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

Agree with that, neither JP, BB nor KL are the animal I think you're referring to. SH is but not always available. Should we sign another?

How to fit said animal into the midfield without sacrificing one of the front three that worked so well yesterday?

4-3-3?

Jos will have a plan I think.

Westwood, Lee and Hooper. three players Jos has not had the opportunity to work with yet. 

All the answers we are looking for Jos may already have. 

Look at what has happened with Nuhiu. 

Imagine what he might be able to do with Hooper or Lee two players we know can make us tick.

Edited by pazowl55

41 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Also playing wingbacks doesn’t mean constant crosses into box. They can (as we have seen before) interplay with forwards more inside, something we did well in CCs first season. 

We looked pretty good at this yesterday.

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

Three of our goals Saturday came from crossess into the box from wide positions.

Two from Reach and one surprisingly from Pullupessy ( the one that caused the collision in the Norwich defence )

Never underestimate the value of a good cross