Westwood in demand?

I'd expect (and hope) that there will be plenty of player turnaround in the Summer and hopefully as early as possible. KW is a very good keeper but it would make sense for both him and the club to move on. KW will get a final pay day and we get a fee for a 33 year old footballer who's been injured for most of the season, the season before he looked like he could break down at any given moment. I just cant see the sense of having KW, JW and CD all on the books at the same time and why would you want to move any of the 2 good young keepers on.

Maybe the 3rd keeper slot will be a loan from the Premiership and at some point either Cammy or Joe go out on a months loan here and there. If we're looking to get smarter in the transfer market and Kieron fancies a final pay day......it makes sense.   

8 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We only have 3 keepers to choose from really but have an abundance of strikers . I know it all depends on demand and contracts , injures etc but to lose Westwood or even Wildsmith as you have pointed out is not only going to reduce the quality in our first team it is going  to leave us very short , as I mentioned earlier  if we let KW go all it would take is an injury to Wildsmith then we are relying on a youth keeper to back up for Dawson . 

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my response that we would have to invest into a replacement via a loan, Div 1 young promising keeper or further promotion from our youngsters.

I'm afraid a lot of our fans are going to have to get used to us trying to sell some of our top players soon. We have spent too much in the market on unsustainable players and we are in a financial mess and at real risk from FFP. We are now going to have to pay the piper for passed bad management.

1 minute ago, Whatahoot said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my response that we would have to invest into a replacement via a loan, Div 1 young promising keeper or further promotion from our youngsters.

I'm afraid a lot of our fans are going to have to get used to us trying to sell some of our top players soon. We have spent too much in the market on unsustainable players and we are in a financial mess and at real risk from FFP. We are now going to have to pay the piper for passed bad management.

Is this a fact  Have the club stated such ? I appreciate we have overdone it with long contracts so it may well be the case . On the goal keeping issue haven’t we just loaned a keeper from Liverpool ? 

5 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Common sense tells us we will probably have to sell one or two players with FFP issues looming.

Westwood might be one of them to help our financial position. 

We have two young cracking keepers on ours books. One experienced keeper on megabucks who incidentally is still injured , the FFP. This boils to having  good business sense. If some team really want to take that gamble then it would be foolhardy to resist it. I rate Westwood, but I also rate the other two keepers.

4 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Is this a fact  Have the club stated such ? I appreciate we have overdone it with long contracts so it may well be the case . On the goal keeping issue haven’t we just loaned a keeper from Liverpool ? 

I think the young lad from Liverpool is on trial not loan.

We declared losses of £20m for last season, having brought in a portion of the diminishing valuation of the fees we paid over contract periods (Jordan Rhodes not fully included yet) FFP allows losses of a max £39m over a rolling 3 year period, therefore after adjusting for non FFP affected spending, we can only make a loss the next financial year of no more than £7- 9M. That is recorded fact in our latest published audited accounts . 

We need to cut our cloth accordingly and either get some decent fees in for players and or cut the wage bill massively if we are to avoid really big fines (millions) and or be placed under a transfer embargo.How it effects the team is somewhat secondary in comparison . That is going to have to be carefully managed by the head coach. Our CREDIT CARD HAS BEEN OVERSPENT> time to make the adjustments I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Westwood had a right go at someone who said he was injury prone on Twitter and pointed out the number of games he had played - be careful. :tango:

That's because he ain't injury prone as he was pointing out to Laura Jones I think her name is who writes a fans column in The Star. She got a right rinsing on Twitter for it and had to back pedal big time when he pointed out the error or her article.

Westwood is an excellent goalkeeper but he represents a perfect storm for us;

- 33 years old

- Can still command a fee

- A decent earner

- Will have active interest in signing him and therefore is realistic to sell (unlike Abdi, Fletcher etc)

- Replacement(s) already at the club without needing to go straight back out and spend 

If our aim over the summer is to reduce the size, age and expense of our squad - while minimising a quality drain - then unfortunately Westwood is near or at the top of the list of players we need to look to sell. And that really is unfortunate but.. hey.. this is the reality we've got ourselves into.

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

That's because he ain't injury prone as he was pointing out to Laura Jones I think her name is who writes a fans column in The Star. She got a right rinsing on Twitter for it and had to back pedal big time when he pointed out the error or her article.

In 2013/14 season he had a long spell out through injury (approx 200 days) which is a long time ago.

Apart from his injury now, I think he's only had the odd few knocks that any player can get. 

5 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Westwood had a right go at someone who said he was injury prone on Twitter and pointed out the number of games he had played - be careful. :tango:

That’s because the lady in question got her stats wrong, more reason why women and football don’t mix lol 

4 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

In 2013/14 season he had a long spell out through injury (approx 200 days) which is a long time ago.

Apart from his injury now, I think he's only had the odd few knocks that any player can get. 

Here are his career stats:

Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Manchester City 2003–04[12] Premier League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Oldham Athletic (loan) 2003–04[12] Second Division 0 0 0 0
Carlisle United 2004–05[13] Conference National 4 0 0 0 3[a] 0 7 0
2005–06[14] League Two 35 0 1 0 1 0 7
0 44 0 2006–07[15] League One 46 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 47 0 2007–08[16] League One 46 0 2 0 2 0 4[c] 0 54 0 Total 131 0 4 0 3 0 14 0 152 0 Coventry City 2008–09[17] Championship 46 0 3 0 0 0 49 0 2009–10[18] Championship 44 0 2 0 0 0 46 0 2010–11[19] Championship 41 0 2 0 0 0 43 0 Total 131 0 7 0 0 0 138 0 Sunderland 2011–12[20] Premier League 9 0 0 0 1 0 10 0 2012–13[21] Premier League 0 0 0 0 3 0 3 0 2013–14[22] Premier League 10 0 0 0 1 0 11 0 Total 19 0 0 0 5 0 24 0 Sheffield Wednesday 2014–15[23] Championship 43 0 0 0 0 0 43 0 2015–16[24] Championship 34 0 0 0 0 0 3[d] 0 37 0 2016–17[25] Championship 43 0 0 0 0 0 2[d] 0 45 0 2017–18[26] Championship 13 0 0 0 0 0 13 0 Total 133 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 138 0 Career totals 414 0 11 0 8 0 19 0 452 0 Edited by soldierboyblue

6 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

If we're gonna let Kieran Westwood go we can forget about promotion next season. Wildsmith is good but nowhere near No 1.

I've already set the bar low for next season as far as promotion is concerned, for Me were going to have a couple of seasons of top 10 finishes while we balance the books and get rid of the old crocks now surplus to requirements allowing us to build for the future and blood in  some of the under 23s to see if they can come in and push on. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

3 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I've already set the bar low for next season as far as promotion is concerned, for Me were going to have a couple of seasons of top 10 finishes while we balance the books and get rid of the old crocks now surplus to requirements allowing us to build for the future and blood in  some of the under 23s to see if they can come in and push on. 

I agree, this is how it looks to me as well.

The only thing is do you think that DC will be happy to wait at least another 2 to 3 years for a return on his investment though ?

54 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I think the young lad from Liverpool is on trial not loan.

We declared losses of £20m for last season, having brought in a portion of the diminishing valuation of the fees we paid over contract periods (Jordan Rhodes not fully included yet) FFP allows losses of a max £39m over a rolling 3 year period, therefore after adjusting for non FFP affected spending, we can only make a loss the next financial year of no more than £7- 9M. That is recorded fact in our latest published audited accounts . 

We need to cut our cloth accordingly and either get some decent fees in for players and or cut the wage bill massively if we are to avoid really big fines (millions) and or be placed under a transfer embargo.How it effects the team is somewhat secondary in comparison . That is going to have to be carefully managed by the head coach. Our CREDIT CARD HAS BEEN OVERSPENT> time to make the adjustments I'm afraid.

So if it was £20m last season what was it the season before around ,£10m ? if we have only got around £9m left . If we didn’t lose any money on transfer deals this coming year ,would we still be losing over £9m this season ? . Would one decent offload of say Rhodes for example be enough ? 

Edited by dewsburyowl58

8 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

So if it was £20m last season what was it the season before around £10m if we have only got around £9m left . If we didn’t lose any money on transfer deals would we still be losing over £9m this season ? . Would one decent offload of say Rhodes for example be enough ? 

If we paid £10M for Rhodes, this figure is amortized in the accounts therefore if we sold him we would need to get £6.6M just to balance his cost on next years accounts.

Therefore if we didn't sell him for more than this figure the only savings we would make would be on not having to pay his wages.

Don't know what his wages are but I'd presume it would be a saving of between £1.5 - £2.5M per year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hookowl said:

If we paid £10M for Rhodes, this figure is amortized in the accounts therefore if we sold him we would need to get £6.6M just to balance his cost on next years accounts.

Therefore if we didn't sell him for more than this figure the only savings we would make would be on not having to pay his wages.

Don't know what his wages are but I'd presume it would be a saving of between £1.5 - £2.5M per year.

So are you saying that the transfer fee will show up in next years accounts ? . Didn’t we buy him in instalments too ?