33 minutes ago, Morepork said:

You will not see a finer example than this of why "Negs" are required.....worst post of the year and that's saying something.

In the absence of that handy little red arrow, I reckon we just need to express our disdain for particularly crap posts - you know, the ones which really aren't worthy of a second's thought or debate - by simply typing 'neg' in big, bold letters from now on.

I'll start...

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

If there's only one player in our squad who doesn't deserve this kind of insulting assumption, it's Nuhiu. Even some of his most consistent critics acknowledge he always puts in the graft.

he'd be a fool if he didn't look after number one.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I almost got to a point where I wanted him to stay. We have to move on. We have to expect better and aspire to be better. There is no way he would be near our squad without poor recruitment and a huge number of injuries.

Its just that simple.

If he stays and bangs in 15 next year then fair flippingplay

NEG!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

In the absence of that handy little red arrow, I reckon we just need to express our disdain for particularly crap posts - you know, the ones which really aren't worthy of a second's thought or debate - by simply typing 'neg' in big, bold letters from now on.

I'll start...

I was doing that in the first days of the Neg famine but Neil was just deleting my posts....it's a shame because it did afford me some satisfaction.

• Haha 3

I have been very critical of Nuhiu, would be hypocritical to pretend otherwise but have to give him credit, he has improved under Jos and starting to look like a footballer. 

Compared to our other 'stars' who are either injured or out of form, he has contributed more this season than most. A new deal would give us some resale value, even at his age, this purple patch of form may encourage £2-3m return for him if it does not work our next season. 

Never thought in a million years I would be advocating a new contract but you have to appreciate what he has produced on the pitch over the last few months.

Just now, striker said:

I have been very critical of Nuhiu, would be hypocritical to pretend otherwise but have to give him credit, he has improved under Jos and starting to look like a footballer. 

Compared to our other 'stars' who are either injured or out of form, he has contributed more this season than most. A new deal would give us some resale value, even at his age, this purple patch of form may encourage £2-3m return for him if it does not work our next season. 

Never thought in a million years I would be advocating a new contract but you have to appreciate what he has produced on the pitch over the last few months.

how old is he, he's only about 28 isn't he?

he could play until 34/35 ish. a guy with his build, control, and lack of pace, should only lose the pace he doesn't have (if you see what i mean).

Nuhiu has been an enigma and an amazing force of nature for us. So has Joao. 

Negatives. Its taken 4.5 years for him to show this. Nearly 200apps shows hes had opportunities. 

Also is he/are they good enough to be relied upon across a whole season. Probably not. However neither are our other players considering the better ones (Hooper and Forestieri) seem to get injured. 

We need to slim the squad down and add quality in the wide positions for me. Nuhiu and Joao should be fighting hard for number 1 spots upfront though. Gonna be a lot to do if we are to look like a top 6 team again. 

2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

how old is he, he's only about 28 isn't he?

he could play until 34/35 ish. a guy with his build, control, and lack of pace, should only lose the pace he doesn't have (if you see what i mean).

29 in July. I agree, but once players reach 30 the diminishing return of transfer value kicks in. Know what you mean though, his attributes give him some longevity, certainly over those who rely on pace.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

29 in July. I agree, but once players reach 30 the diminishing return of transfer value kicks in. Know what you mean though, his attributes give him some longevity, certainly over those who rely on pace.

i think atty would do a right job for half the championship teams out there, well more than half on his last 2 months figures.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it!

STRIKERS LOOK MORE DANGEROUS WHEN TEAM DOESNT MAKE 700 CONSECUTIVE PASSES ACROSS IT'S OWN BACK FOUR FOR 90 MINUTES SHOCKER 

nuhiu_joao_sunderland.jpg

I think going more direct is the way to go in my opinion. Not long ball but looking to move up the pitch at every opportunity. We have the big guys to eat the ball up, hold it for the supporting midfielders and also use the channels. We'd just need to get some decent wing backs with pace to burn and maybe a driving midfielder. Obviously the central defence could be improved but that's a different aspect of the game. Unless of course Jos wants a centre back that can come out of defence with the ball. Venancio and Van Aken both aren't too bad at that to be fair. 

Whats more, I think fans would enjoy that style of play more to be honest. Add in quality like Fessi, Hooper and Kieran Lee into that style of play and we'd be pretty good to watch I think. Definitely if we really worked hard at that tactic in the summer and slimlined the squad to suit I reckon our fans would enjoy watching a team, that while wouldn't be top 4 probably, working hard and taking the game to the opposition with strength and pace. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

Never rated him to be honest but he has been a revelation this last few weeks. Can he keep this up is the question. Look at Leon Clarke with the pigs scoring goals for fun earlier in the season then dried up except for a deflection against Cardiff the other night.

He is back to his normal crap self. Could this happen with Nuhiu who knows but he has never produced this form in all the time he has been here is it a flash in the pan or is it Jos managing him differently

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

Wouldn't be near our squad for what reason? He's never had such a run of games, and he's proving to everyone that he can score goals.

If you want to move on from a striker that's just scored 8 in 11 then fair enough, but I think you're being very harsh on him.

He's earned himself another contract, we'd be stupid not to give him what he deserves.

He made 51 appearences in 2015/16 season - the 'he hasn't had a run of games' is a complete myth

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think going more direct is the way to go in my opinion. Not long ball but looking to move up the pitch at every opportunity. We have the big guys to eat the ball up, hold it for the supporting midfielders and also use the channels. We'd just need to get some decent wing backs with pace to burn and maybe a driving midfielder. Obviously the central defence could be improved but that's a different aspect of the game. Unless of course Jos wants a centre back that can come out of defence with the ball. Venancio and Van Aken both aren't too bad at that to be fair. 

Whats more, I think fans would enjoy that style of play more to be honest. Add in quality like Fessi, Hooper and Kieran Lee into that style of play and we'd be pretty good to watch I think. Definitely if we really worked hard at that tactic in the summer and slimlined the squad to suit I reckon our fans would enjoy watching a team, that while wouldn't be top 4 probably, working hard and taking the game to the opposition with strength and pace. 

I agree with this.

Nuhiu up front on his own with the midfield back in our own half doesn't work. But with two up front and the midfield pressing up we are a different team.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

whilst nothing can be taken as a must, or for granted, his 8 in 11 equates to a full season tally of 32, yes we really need to be looking for someone who can score more than 32 in a season, and we've all the money in the world to buy him with.WTF:

Leon Clarke scored 11 goals in 4 games in November, I dont see him sat on 120 goals for the season... One purple patch in 5 years doesn;t mean we should keep him in knickers for the rest of his life.

If he carries on this form then yes, he deserves his new deal. In my personal opinion, if he doesn't score another goal until the end of the season we should realise that it was just a purple patch that EVERY striker has in their career. Again, just my opinion

38 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

If there's only one player in our squad who doesn't deserve this kind of insulting assumption, it's Nuhiu. Even some of his most consistent critics acknowledge he always puts in the graft.

Exactly.

One person mentions it and all of a sudden there’s a percentage that believe it. It’s a bit pathetic really.

9 minutes ago, ramone said:

He made 51 appearences in 2015/16 season - 

Very , very true. Its an excellent point you raise and one i am in total agreement with.

He was instrumental in creating havoc for Fernando and Hooper to run amok in, in what was our best season for decades. 

18 minutes ago, s.armo said:

Never rated him to be honest but he has been a revelation this last few weeks. Can he keep this up is the question. Look at Leon Clarke with the pigs scoring goals for fun earlier in the season then dried up except for a deflection against Cardiff the other night.

He is back to his normal crap self. Could this happen with Nuhiu who knows but he has never produced this form in all the time he has been here is it a flash in the pan or is it Jos managing him differently

A combination of things I suspect-:

Our willingness to get the ball up front quicker and play to our attackers strengths rather than playing it around at the back for 5 minutes allowing the opposition to regain their shape. 

Jos' implementing a style which uses quality delivery into the box from wide areas rather than trying to one two it through tight central areas.  

A system which has more round pegs in round holes. 

And confidence of course.  The confidence of knowing the manager will keep you in if you are playing well rather than drop you no matter how well you do.  The manager has to take great credit. You know yourself the importance of man managment of individuals in creating a team of men that produce consistently.