5 minutes ago, ramone said:

'It only takes a second to score a goal' - Brian Clough, England greatest ever manager.

So if he only had 15 minutes each game, thats 900 available opportunities to score. Over an 18 month period of 15 mins per game thats 54,000 available opportunities (approx maths) 

I'm sure you catch my drift... 

By that reckoning shouldn't Fernando have scored 284,000 goals that season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

By that reckoning shouldn't Fernando have scored 284,000 goals that season?

Not really mate, we were discussing the fact he didnt score a single goal for 18 months. Fernando, to my understanding, hasn't gone through a similar baron spell in his career... 

Just now, DJMortimer said:

There's no denying his success from the bench. But the two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

You said it was unfair to say that Nuhiu should have scored in 18 months mainly coming from the bench... I was merely proving you wrong again

4 minutes ago, CadTheOwl said:

People were happy to give Jermaine Johnson a contract extension year upon year due to his performances in the latter couple of months of the season. Atdhe Nuhiu has been one of the most, if not the most, consistent performer since Brammall Lane away.

He warrants a contract extension with the salary and length determined by how focal Jos see's him in his plans for the future. 

Happy to say he has converted me to a believer that he deserves to play in this league. 

Did somebody mention Jermaine Johnson?

:stuwinky:

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Yes he certainly has had a run of games to prove himself, don’t forget he’s been here five years 

jury’s still out for me, it he can prove himself to be beneficial over a sustained period of time then great, however a couple goals against woeful opposition  (carlisle, Sunderland) doesn’t sway my opinion as such, not including his wonder strike against Preston of course 

Do we qualify who our other strikers score against like this? We even had one poster say Nuhiu's double at Leeds came in a "meaningless game" and that a team one point below us in the league at the time were "vastly inferior". Rhodes got 2 against Bolton, Hooper scored against Chesterfield and Burton, Joao netted at Sunderland and versus Birmingham. Swings and roundabouts.

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

Not really mate, we were discussing the fact he didnt score a single goal for 18 months. Fernando, to my understanding, hasn't gone through a similar baron spell in his career... 

But I thought he was due a goal for every second he played if the same testing conditions are being used?

Anyway. Here's what the bigman has to say...

"The manager came and gave me new confidence. Every manager has his own ideas, and probably he likes the way I play and work for the team so I will keep being this way.

I haven’t changed since the beginning to now, I have played always the same, every manager sees you different"

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

But I thought he was due a goal for every second he played if the same testing conditions are being used?

Anyway. Here's what the bigman has to say...

"The manager came and gave me new confidence. Every manager has his own ideas, and probably he likes the way I play and work for the team so I will keep being this way.

I haven’t changed since the beginning to now, I have played always the same, every manager sees you different"

I'd agree with what he said... All he's done is stuck it in the onion bag on the odd occasion. His general play, mostly, has been as it always has been... indifferent (maybe slightly better)

As i've said previously, im not adverse to giving him a new deal. I'm just not thinking he's Christian Vieri all of a sudden. I dont see why you have to firmly in one corner or another in every single thread. I find it bizarre. Whats wrong with appreciating what he's doing at the moment but realising that he's been here for a long time without pulling up any trees so i'm having doubts on whether we should use a squad place for him...

Guessing that the OP doesn’t see the strength that Nuhiu gives us.  

Whether you like it or not, Nuhiu (and Jaoa) have contributed more than enough in the last quarter of this drab season to save us from complete humiliation in our 150th year.  To even flirt with relegation is a joke in itself.

They’ve never been given a chance before, and to

be honest I’m not really that fussed that Nuhiu doesn’t bang in the goals that often.  He does it when it counts.

Thats what matters.  

Go through the games where Nuhiu has scored and then figure out where the goals would have come from without him.  

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

I'd agree with what he said... All he's done is stuck it in the onion bag on the odd occasion. His general play, mostly, has been as it always has been... indifferent (maybe slightly better)

Yep,

9 in 12 and saved a our season FFS

9 minutes ago, ramone said:

As i've said previously, im not adverse to giving him a new deal. I'm just not thinking he's Christian Vieri all of a sudden. I dont see why you have to firmly in one corner or another in every single thread. I find it bizarre. Whats wrong with appreciating what he's doing at the moment but realising that he's been here for a long time without pulling up any trees so i'm having doubts on whether we should use a squad place for him...

He's one of those players that divide opinion more than any other I think that's why people are either 'black or white' in their views of him. 

Also think that some of the shocking and often unjust hammerings he has taken have created a counter movement.

Was it Newton that said  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." ?

I Genuinly believe that the totally OTT hammerings he has taken are what created the gulf. The abusers, ironically and much to their own disgust im sure if they ever thought about it , created the fan club which they argue with and despise so much.

When people started saying (very quickly into his time here) that he was the worst striker we've ever had, when he wasn't even the worst striker in the squad at the time, it was always going to create a bounce back.

Just one of those things....and I am sure it will always be the case with him when he's dicussed even when he's long retired and I've rolled off this mortal coil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ramone said:

Leon Clarke scored 11 goals in 4 games in November, I dont see him sat on 120 goals for the season... One purple patch in 5 years doesn;t mean we should keep him in knickers for the rest of his life.

If he carries on this form then yes, he deserves his new deal. In my personal opinion, if he doesn't score another goal until the end of the season we should realise that it was just a purple patch that EVERY striker has in their career. Again, just my opinion

joking and jousting aside it's a very 'delicate' subject, i believe if he wants to stay, the club will keep him, but again it depends upon the financial side of a deal, and who outside our club will pay what in wages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Very , very true. Its an excellent point you raise and one i am in total agreement with.

He was instrumental in creating havoc for Fernando and Hooper to run amok in, in what was our best season for decades. 

correct, and i did wonder at the time if his unselfish lack of goals whilst making them for others would lead to a bad reputation and press amongst the less knowledgeable.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ramone said:

'It only takes a second to score a goal' - Brian Clough, England greatest ever manager.

So if he only had 15 minutes each game, thats 900 available opportunities to score. Over an 18 month period of 15 mins per game thats 54,000 available opportunities (approx maths) 

I'm sure you catch my drift... 

not with the clown having it passed sideways and backwards around the halfway line for 14.5 of those 15 mins.