Sunderland tho..

44 minutes ago, darklord said:

Oh I agree but it wasnt just call centres (just that they did attract a lot there) but millions pumped in for various projects. My wife taught there in one of the most deprived areas of the City and the school had huge investment (as did most there) thanks to EU funding. We move back down the the relatively well off East Yorkshire and the schools are sorely underfunded, crumbling, etc.

Sunderland was pretty much rebuilt using EU money but the majority there don't see it (or refuse to).  Imagine how much worse the place would be without that EU funding!

We do pay in more than we take out . We are not Poland and the like and get more out of the deal . How could the eu work if everyone took out more than they put in . Well off countries put more in so poorer countries in the eu get more to build them up and bring them more in line with the well off . As Britain is one of the better off countries already areas like Sunderland get back some of the money that Britain has already paid in . Just because you don't believe in a United States of Europe doesn't mean you are an ungrateful wretch that should be thankful for the coins thrown to you from your master . 

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I start a thread to gently poke fun at Sunderland...it's worked it's way round to brexit..

Another one moved to the politics thread..:tango: WTF!?

Whenever somewhere in the north is poked fun at it always goes to the Tories fault or brexit , apart from Barnsley , s c rew Barnsley :CEO:

• Haha 1

Fooookem.

It's because of clubs like them, coming down with parachute payments that we're trying to get promoted with one hand tied behind our backs. It's also the reason we're paying Premier League prices for Championship football.

More than happy to see them go down, just a pity Villa and Hull aren't joining them.

A percentage of “our money” perhaps but at least it got spent,who’s to say that there will be a brighter investment culture post brexit. How many top politicians are really bothered or able to sort it?

Recent reports suggest the NE will be hit hardest by potential changes in trade...and many of these people voted for it.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/last-truth-brexit-devastate-north-14260552.amp

On 4/3/2018 at 09:11, Bluesteel said:

The big difference is after 5pm in the town centre. In newcastle there are restaurants and people there. In Sunderland the shutters are down, you can hear a pin drop and someone shouting in the distance. I felt like I was in raccoon city from Resident Evil!

So a bit like our beloved city centre then during the week. At least you'd have felt at home :biggrin:

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:07, scilly owl said:

What is a Sunder anyway, and why do they have their own land ?

We tore their defence asunder and when they realised we'd just thumped em in their own backyard they came to land on their backsides ?? lol 

On 02/04/2018 at 17:19, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Wow. Vitriol!

I tekkit you got dumped/ caught the clap/ got castrated by some erstwhile Weardo lover. 

Cant be just football

Micky Horswill, Barry Venison and Kevin Ball weren't that obnoxious were they? 

It was that Wearside Jack, absolute tvvat who cost more lives.

10 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

So a bit like our beloved city centre then during the week. At least you'd have felt at home :biggrin:

lol Havent been to Sheffield City centre at that time for a while but this was something else. I think it is the warren of side streets and the coastal wind whipping around them that makes it worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol_Owl said:

A well supported club (with no plastic fans)  in an overlooked region with annoying neighbours going through a long drawn out decline ending in Div 1.

Feel for them, not so long ago it was us.  

They have a hard core support, plenty went missing after relegation to the championship as did middlesboro, plenty of plastics up there. 

11 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

They have a hard core support, plenty went missing after relegation to the championship as did middlesboro, plenty of plastics up there. 

Yep take your point as every team seems to attract a fair few attendees (won't call them supporters) in the Prem who disappear as soon as they get relegated. Just trying to say that in my neck of the woods get a lot of plastics who so called support teams from all over the country but never come across a Sunderland supporter who wasn't either from the area or related to someone from there.  

On 03/04/2018 at 18:35, Bluesteel said:

A percentage of “our money” perhaps but at least it got spent,who’s to say that there will be a brighter investment culture post brexit. How many top politicians are really bothered or able to sort it?

Recent reports suggest the NE will be hit hardest by potential changes in trade...and many of these people voted for it.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/last-truth-brexit-devastate-north-14260552.amp

Politicians who benefit directly into their pockets from staying in the eu , in leaked document shocker . There is nothing to say it will be spent and nothing to say it won't either . I will guess it won't because politicians are determined to teach the insolent public a lesson that they know nothing and they are wrong . Most politicians want to stay in because they benefit directly from the eu and couldnt care less about the people who they pretend to want better for . Newspapers are owned by people who also have a vested interest in staying in the eu so they are hardly going to print . The eu sucks out money from the UK and gives us a bit back so we shut the f@@@ up , are they . Politicians want to stay so will do all they can to try and get the people to back them up . Project fear didn't work so they will stop at nothing to get another referendum to make people vote to make politicians themselves better off . Nothing has ever been leaked that wasn't in someone's vested interest to leak . What we need is a different party to lib lab con and I don't mean a party that's only priority is hating Europe , who actually want to make britain better for everyone whether rich or poor and a level playing field between North and South , instead of doing what will get them personally the best promotions . Apart from that haven't given it much thought but we got three points so sod em :luhukay:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cross owl said:

Politicians who benefit directly into their pockets from staying in the eu , in leaked document shocker . There is nothing to say it will be spent and nothing to say it won't either . I will guess it won't because politicians are determined to teach the insolent public a lesson that they know nothing and they are wrong . Most politicians want to stay in because they benefit directly from the eu and couldnt care less about the people who they pretend to want better for . Newspapers are owned by people who also have a vested interest in staying in the eu so they are hardly going to print . The eu sucks out money from the UK and gives us a bit back so we shut the f@@@ up , are they . Politicians want to stay so will do all they can to try and get the people to back them up . Project fear didn't work so they will stop at nothing to get another referendum to make people vote to make politicians themselves better off . Nothing has ever been leaked that wasn't in someone's vested interest to leak . What we need is a different party to lib lab con and I don't mean a party that's only priority is hating Europe , who actually want to make britain better for everyone whether rich or poor and a level playing field between North and South , instead of doing what will get them personally the best promotions . Apart from that haven't given it much thought but we got three points so sod em :luhukay:

If the referendum was based on the real facts and an understanding of the trade and economic implications I’d maybe agree with that. But it wasn’t it was driven by other factors (including misinformation by these politicians) and it is not a figment of imagination that areas that will suffer most up front actually voted leave. The local economic partnerships who have been handed the tough task of trying to make things happen in the “regions” in the next few years will lose a lot of EU funding and that is the only information available at the moment. No one knows what happens next but at least we are out of the EU....via a leap into the dark. Let’s hope it works out, it will take a good while to work out if it’s worth it in my view.

Anyway, at least the football and the Man City team bus gives everyone something to channel their aggression into. 

36 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If the referendum was based on the real facts and an understanding of the trade and economic implications I’d maybe agree with that. But it wasn’t it was driven by other factors (including misinformation by these politicians) and it is not a figment of imagination that areas that will suffer most up front actually voted leave. The local economic partnerships who have been handed the tough task of trying to make things happen in the “regions” in the next few years will lose a lot of EU funding and that is the only information available at the moment. No one knows what happens next but at least we are out of the EU....via a leap into the dark. Let’s hope it works out, it will take a good while to work out if it’s worth it in my view.

Anyway, at least the football and the Man City team bus gives everyone something to channel their aggression into. 

That's the thing , to me anyway . The eu could be marvellous but the people at the top have a have and have not attitude , like Britain but on a grander scale , where they want their own areas where they frequent to be fantastic and everyone else, well who cares about their environment we are making money and we want a cheap work force no matter where we get it from . Leaving the eu which personally I wanted could either be great or terrible for the majority . Entirely dependant on how much politicians of all parties want it to be . I think that the areas that voted leave in spite of eu funding did so because they are still being left to rot even by the eu as the funding is still put in place more for eu politicians to show how ambivalent they are rather than for any actual want to pull those areas up . Throughout Europe there are areas that are just getting worse and worse even with the eu chucking some of their own countries money back to them . It's the hope that gets you in all things . I think the north east and areas throughout Britain like it just think , how could it get worse and even if it does at least we tried to change something when given a chance . Time will tell that's why I'd like a proper party with everyone's needs at heart rather than what we have which is a party of avarice and a party that is fueled by a dislike of the haves . Surely it's not too much to ask to reward success and also to help those in need of a helping hand too . At the moment it seems to be a choice between one or the other . We need a labotive or coservour party :picnic: mind you that would be like joining our blue and the dark sides red into one team WTF:

5 hours ago, cross owl said:

That's the thing , to me anyway . The eu could be marvellous but the people at the top have a have and have not attitude , like Britain but on a grander scale , where they want their own areas where they frequent to be fantastic and everyone else, well who cares about their environment we are making money and we want a cheap work force no matter where we get it from . Leaving the eu which personally I wanted could either be great or terrible for the majority . Entirely dependant on how much politicians of all parties want it to be . I think that the areas that voted leave in spite of eu funding did so because they are still being left to rot even by the eu as the funding is still put in place more for eu politicians to show how ambivalent they are rather than for any actual want to pull those areas up . Throughout Europe there are areas that are just getting worse and worse even with the eu chucking some of their own countries money back to them . It's the hope that gets you in all things . I think the north east and areas throughout Britain like it just think , how could it get worse and even if it does at least we tried to change something when given a chance . Time will tell that's why I'd like a proper party with everyone's needs at heart rather than what we have which is a party of avarice and a party that is fueled by a dislike of the haves . Surely it's not too much to ask to reward success and also to help those in need of a helping hand too . At the moment it seems to be a choice between one or the other . We need a labotive or coservour party :picnic: mind you that would be like joining our blue and the dark sides red into one team WTF:

I see your point and I think if people did think that way then it is at least an understandable basis for making the decision. My view on it was that I didn’t have any attachment to the EU but I wanted a tangible plan set out for post brexit which there wasn’t and still isn’t (any politician worth their salt prior to the referendum has gone to ground as they know the whole thing is toxic and a massive balls up), so for me brexit is unlikely to be the silver bullet and the plan to destabilise an economy which was just recovering based on hope seemed un-necessary and I think it may take a good ten years or so post brexit to get back to where we were  albeit on our own terms (hopefully not!).

I agree that places that voted leave wanted to lash out and send a message for change and stick two fingers up at the wishes of Cameron to remain but I think it was the wrong vote to do so, they could’ve backlashed via a general election. Ultimately I think the fear of immigration and NHS costs swung it and it was misinformation. Given that many voters felt they weren’t informed properly or didn’t understand and that the majority was minimal, a second opinion in the cold light of day would certainly be interesting and i reckon the result would be different but we will never know.

Apologies for taking this thread so far off topic 

14 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I see your point and I think if people did think that way then it is at least an understandable basis for making the decision. My view on it was that I didn’t have any attachment to the EU but I wanted a tangible plan set out for post brexit which there wasn’t and still isn’t (any politician worth their salt prior to the referendum has gone to ground as they know the whole thing is toxic and a massive balls up), so for me brexit is unlikely to be the silver bullet and the plan to destabilise an economy which was just recovering based on hope seemed un-necessary and I think it may take a good ten years or so post brexit to get back to where we were  albeit on our own terms (hopefully not!).

I agree that places that voted leave wanted to lash out and send a message for change and stick two fingers up at the wishes of Cameron to remain but I think it was the wrong vote to do so, they could’ve backlashed via a general election. Ultimately I think the fear of immigration and NHS costs swung it and it was misinformation. Given that many voters felt they weren’t informed properly or didn’t understand and that the majority was minimal, a second opinion in the cold light of day would certainly be interesting and i reckon the result would be different but we will never know.

Apologies for taking this thread so far off topic 

I think the problem, like you've said , is that there is no plan at all . All the politicians that were on the leave side i don't think really wanted to leave at all but we had to have some politicians on both sides so the people couldn't say it was bias . I don't think the leave politicians believed for a moment the vote would go to leave so didn't believe they would actually have to back it up . Problem with a general election and sticking it to Cameron through a general election is that we would have ended up with Milliband who would have just been another career politician and another faithful eu pet . We either get conservative or Labour , both don't want a level playing field as they both have their core voters who are poles apart . Which is why we need a central party for everyone instead of two opposing sides to the same coin . We need a different coin :luhukay: I like off topic , some of the best conversations start off completely different to where they end :biggrin:

• Like 1