'The players aren't good enough' - The Myth

We're a team full of squad players.

In the same way you can't have a team full of Forestieri's, you can't have a team full of Butterfield's either.

That's what we have at the minute. Too many squad players, not enough with the extra bit of quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's easy to 'get up for' a big cup match against a massive club as happens in the cup. 

What we've seen recently is two poor teams slogging it out.

That's where we are the minute.  

I think we're always a bit too quick to jump on the oppositions team and determine they're crap ...when we don't see them week in and week out. 

11 v 11 and the best side will win nine times out of ten. 

We're where we are because that's the quality we have. 

Bannan,  Hutch,  Fernando,  Westwood , Lees back in the side we might put away from the trapdoor. We might have edged past Ipswich or Bolton. 

This is a scrappy and tight division.  Just a couple of quality additions can push any side on a bit.

Well the question i'd ask is why is Jos not setting the team up for Saturday with a mindset of 'THIS IS A BIG MATCH' - We're in a relegation fight!! We should have been well up for it in both games. Win both of them and you can practically have the rest of the season off. Thats my point. Both were massive games. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Wow - that's quite the debate there 

Come on - debate the topic instead of doing that. You're better than that

Its my topic!!!!! I'm debating it with people that aren't looking to put other people down. May i suggest you play by your own rules... 

4 minutes ago, mrrodge said:

Completely disagree

There are some strong experienced players who started on Saturday. I wouldn't say it would be a promotion chasing team but certainly shouldn't be near relegation

certainly there was but none of them are strong on the creative side .....reach a midfield general ? I don't think so 

2 minutes ago, ramone said:

Perhaps if looking through the eyes of pedant... I think you understand what i mean... 

I'm just looking at it realistically, but however you want to look at it we are still having to play with a second/reserve team against other clubs first teams.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

certainly there was but none of them are strong on the creative side .....reach a midfield general ? I don't think so 

I agree with you. That's why we need to look at the manager. He isn't playing a system suited to the players available to him

2 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

Waghorn, Carayol, Ameobi, even Beevers  (and probably quite a few others) would walk into our side as it currently stands. 

We've CC to thank for the predicament Jos finds himself in, of relying on a set of unfit, poorly motivated and technically limited, second string players.

Fair do's

So i'm going to ask you about this little bit... Jos was brought in as a disciplinarian and a motivator. Do you think he's performing well and using his 'attributes' well so far? He's managed to motivate the team to 1 win since he's been here. 

5 minutes ago, ramone said:

Well the question i'd ask is why is Jos not setting the team up for Saturday with a mindset of 'THIS IS A BIG MATCH' - We're in a relegation fight!! We should have been well up for it in both games. Win both of them and you can practically have the rest of the season off. Thats my point. Both were massive games. 

They were. But some managers prefer to have players relaxed. Atkinson always tried to get his players relaxed. So did Clough.  

They have different ways of working.

It might be that he thought telling the lads Bolton was the biggest game of their lives might have had a negative effect on them?

Or that simply it wouldn't have worked?

Players all react differently don't they. They're human beings. 

I think we've just got a side with some average players at present and not a lot of confidence.  The result was no surprise.

I said last month I thought we'd find 17th and ill stick with that. 

we have too many old , injury prone players . we have no pace, zero creativity and we are easy to bully. 

We have been screaming out for a commanding centre half , a box to box midfield beast , a right nasty git , and two wingers with out and out pace since the play off final defeat. Two years later we havnt signed any of them. 

To be successful any teams needs pace and power. We have neither. 

We have so many issues you could write a book. 

Not all our players are poo but almost all of them are either physically or mentally broken at the moment.

I watched Wolves vs Villa yesterday and we currently look a long, long way off both of those teams and yet back in November and December we didn't so there is hope.  

Things can change quickly in football and on that basis I'll stay optimistic but there is plenty of work to be done over the coming months and no room for error.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrrodge said:

I agree with you. That's why we need to look at the manager. He isn't playing a system suited to the players available to him

that's all he's got available ......bannan,hooper, FF, lee, fletch,matias, Wallace,van aken, abdi, hutch westwood all out .....how do you create a system that can cover for them 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

They were. But some managers prefer to have players relaxed. Atkinson always tried to get his players relaxed. So did Clough.  

They have different ways of working.

It might be that he thought telling the lads Bolton was the biggest game of their lives might have had a negative effect on them?

Or that simply it wouldn't have worked?

Players all react differently don't they. They're human beings. 

I think we've just got a side with some average players at present and not a lot of confidence.  The result was no surprise.

I said last month I thought we'd find 17th and ill stick with that. 

You're absolutely right. 

I'm not laying all the blame on the manager here by the way. The players have to take responsibility as well. Someone started a thread the other night about players 'cheating us' and they were bang on. They're soft. 

14 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

We're a team full of squad players.

In the same way you can't have a team full of Forestieri's, you can't have a team full of Butterfield's either.

That's what we have at the minute. Too many squad players, not enough with the extra bit of quality.

Again, what you're saying is absolutely bang on the money. But you make the best of what you've got... Can you really say we're doing that? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ramone said:

So i'm going to ask you about this little bit... Jos was brought in as a disciplinarian and a motivator. Do you think he's performing well and using his 'attributes' well so far? He's managed to motivate the team to 1 win since he's been here. 

That just reiterates my point about the standard of players he has at his disposal vs the standard of the other teams first teams

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, ramone said:

You're absolutely right. 

I'm not laying all the blame on the manager here by the way. The players have to take responsibility as well. Someone started a thread the other night about players 'cheating us' and they were bang on. They're soft. 

not sure about that .........think some of them arnt playing very well and lacking confidence but havnt spotted anyone who I thought wasn't trying . 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That just reiterates my point about the standard of players he has at his disposal vs the standard of the other teams first teams

But i'm sure we agree that none of Boltons and Ipswich's players get in our team...? Its up to Jos to get the most of the players he has at his disposal and he isn't, simple as that. He's failing miserably. 

7 minutes ago, ramone said:

You're absolutely right. 

Well some of them have spent a season or 18 months being largely not involved.  They probably haven't felt a part of things. Suddenly they come in. They've got to be match fit and are expected to do a job that someone slightly better than them has better been doing. 

If it's one or two players.  You can mask that. Blag it.  When it's 6 or 7 it'll soon look like what it is. A team of half fit back up players with no confidence coming into a team on a bad run , with a frustrated fan base in the stands and the relegation trapdoor below. 

I doubt Derren  Brown could get much more from them never mind Jos.