'The players aren't good enough' - The Myth

Its really starting to wind me up this argument. 

These are professional footballers for christs sake. They are players that, if given the right tools and instructions, are more than capable of going out and winning games of football. Easily. Paul Cook set his team of League One footballers and beat the best team on the planet currently. Keith Hill and Mike Flynn set their team of League One and League Two players up to get a result against Tottenham. Leicester City were a team that had nearly been relegated the season before and Claudio went and won the Premier League with them. 

My point is, even if we had a bunch of wasters on the pitch, you can still make them feel 10 feet tall and go out on a pitch for 90 minutes and get a result. My issue here is Jos has consistently rubbished the players that are currently available, talking about players being out etc and this has knocked the last remaining bit of confidence out of them. Along with constantly changing the team so players cant form partnerships and a consistency in their performances. 

The players aren't good enough to get us in the play offs, granted. But blimey, the players have the capabilities to pick up up a few wins every now and then if given the right instructions to do so. How many of these players get into our team...?

B.Biakowski                                                      B.Alnwick

A.Webster                                                        A.Taylor

L.Chambers                                                     M.Beevers

C.Carter-Vickers                                              R.Burke

J.Knudsen                                                        J.Flannagan

C.Connelly                                                        Derik

C.Skuse                                                            K.Henry

L.Hiam                                                              W.Buckley

J.Spence                                                          D.Pratley

M.Waghorn                                                       S.Ameobi

M.Carayol                                                         A.Le Fondre

Go on, you're telling me that ANY of these players that we've faced (ON OUR OWN PATCH) in the last 2 games get into our current side? None of them do in my opinion. And we managed ONE solitary point against them. 

The problem, in my opinion, is the mindset they're being sent on to the pitch with. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you wrote our starting lineup on a piece of paper at the start of the season and asked where you thought it would finish in the Championship at the end of the season you'd say relegation

Let's not kid ourselves

I really wouldn't... You're just making excuses. I'm sorry

Edited by ramone

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

Saturdays team are all decent players who can come in and do a job but as a collective 11 they lack creativity is my take on it .........

Less creative than the 2 teams we have faced recently? Do you think Wigans team is full of creative players that are good enough to beat the best team on the planet? 

Think one of the problems is we haven't had a  have a settled side all season.

Other clubs players who on paper have worse players have advantage of knowing this and can plan tactics and systems accordingly from pre season.

While we have a side that because of changes each week has not gelled at all.

I hope that makes sense!

Theoretically you may be right but your statement "These are professional footballers for christs sake" doesn't win the argument.

There are hundreds of professional footballers in the leagues below us and in the scottish leagues that also wouldn't have won us these games.

• Like 1

Just now, ramone said:

Less creative than the 2 teams we have faced recently? Do you think Wigans team is full of creative players that are good enough to beat the best team on the planet? 

I would say about the same as Ipswich & Bolton , they were 2 evenly matched sides as the closeness of the games proved .......I think though that if those two clubs had 7 or 8 1st teamers out the results may have been different ....the guts of our club are all sat in the stands and to survive (if we do) will be a good achievement. 

It's easy to 'get up for' a big cup match against a massive club as happens in the cup. 

What we've seen recently is two poor teams slogging it out.

That's where we are the minute.  

I think we're always a bit too quick to jump on the oppositions team and determine they're crap ...when we don't see them week in and week out. 

11 v 11 and the best side will win nine times out of ten. 

We're where we are because that's the quality we have. 

Bannan,  Hutch,  Fernando,  Westwood , Lees back in the side we might put away from the trapdoor. We might have edged past Ipswich or Bolton. 

This is a scrappy and tight division.  Just a couple of quality additions can push any side on a bit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you wrote our starting lineup on a piece of paper at the start of the season and asked where you thought it would finish in the Championship at the end of the season you'd say relegation

Let's not kid ourselves

As a team it's just not strong enough to compete

Completely disagree

There are some strong experienced players who started on Saturday. I wouldn't say it would be a promotion chasing team but certainly shouldn't be near relegation

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

Theoretically you may be right but your statement "These are professional footballers for christs sake" doesn't win the argument.

There are hundreds of professional footballers in the leagues below us and in the scottish leagues that also wouldn't have won us these games.

Perhaps if looking through the eyes of pedant... I think you understand what i mean... 

1 minute ago, mrrodge said:

Completely disagree

There are some strong experienced players who started on Saturday. I wouldn't say it would be a promotion chasing team but certainly shouldn't be near relegation

Correct my friend

Waghorn, Carayol, Ameobi, even Beevers  (and probably quite a few others) would walk into our side as it currently stands. 

We've CC to thank for the predicament Jos finds himself in, of relying on a set of unfit, poorly motivated and technically limited, second string players.

Edited by PeakOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's easy to 'get up for' a big cup match against a massive club as happens in the cup. 

What we've seen recently is two poor teams slogging it out.

That's where we are the minute.  

I think we're always a bit too quick to jump on the oppositions team and determine they're crap ...when we don't see them week in and week out. 

11 v 11 and the best side will win nine times out of ten. 

We're where we are because that's the quality we have. 

Bannan,  Hutch,  Fernando,  Westwood , Lees back in the side we might put away from the trapdoor. We might have edged past Ipswich or Bolton. 

This is a scrappy and tight division.  Just a couple of quality additions can push any side on a bit.

you missed out hooper & lee ........no team can lose the flair of those mentioned and expect to contend with any thing other than a battle to stay in the division