Adam Reach

Guest Kagoshimaowl

50 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

And there you have it. If you're telling me Reach is one of our best players and we're sitting just 8 points off the drop zone and can't buy a win for love nor money then that say's it all IMO.

Yea..It does...but from what we have to choose from at the minute....Reach happens to be one of our best players....

Who are you going to replace him with given the players available?

Guest Grez Bez
17 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

The realists who understand football you mean.

Anyone who thinks our attacking midfielder should be covering the full back doesn't understand football...

I've only been a hand full of times this season but each time I've seen him he's out of his depth. Running himself into difficult positions by not thinking a few passes ahead, he also manages to be in 2 minds most of the time. A few times today (one in particular when he couldnt decide between a cross and a shot and did both) showed he was really indecisive. He's too easily taken off the ball by the opposition and seems to have little confidence. 

Just now, CrosbyKitchens said:

Put him in a good side and he'd look flipping brilliant.

It's hard to play while you're also trying to carry 5-6 other players every week.

He was last season and looked like a total waste of money. Average and an unnecessary signing, we needed a winger with pace and able to carry the ball. Not a utility man who’s afraid of getting hurt.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I don’t care what anyone says and you can even bring back the negs if you like, but Reach is GARBAGE in the middle.  I’m sick of seeing him namby pamby around.  His one major strength is running with the ball and getting crosses in.  He runs around like headless chuck in the centre.  For the love of god, get him at wing back before it’s too late.  He was our POS before he was moved to the centre.

Excellent wide player.

Wasted centrally.

Jones is a better CM than Adam. Adam is the best wide player in the club. 

• Like 1

Guest Grez Bez
1 minute ago, s6 owl said:

He was last season and looked like a total waste of money. Average and an unnecessary signing, we needed a winger with pace and able to carry the ball. Not a utility man who’s afraid of getting hurt.

He's not a utility player; he's playing CM out of necessity.

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Been poor for the last few. Don't have a go though as the Lynch mob will be out that watch a game of football through their backs of their heads... 

Offered absolutely naff all today

Can't disagree. I can't fault his effort but his passes weren't off target today due to him being one step ahead of everyone else, they were off target because they were poorly placed. 

His shooting and dead ball crosses haven't been much better. In the past few weeks he has taken 2 free-kicks from the edge of the box south stand side, one ended up on Penistone Road and today one drifted aimlessly into the Kop. By contrast from a similar position Snodgrass put one on a plate for his team to score and Waghorn put one in the back of our net.

I would play him at wing-back in this formation. I know Boyd scored today but generally he looks like a duck out of water stuck out there, offering neither adequate defensive cover or the ability to beat a man out wide or whip a cross in. Boyd is a danger in and around the box and has an eye for goal, I would rather seem him used occasionally as a 2nd striker option than wing-back.

Only player who wanted the ball today. 

Kept trying to drive us forward. 

Through ball to set up the attack that led to goal. Only decent cross all game that Nuhiu missed. 

I do think he should be left wing back though when Bannan and hutch return. 

Edited by Beholder

He looks great to the untrained eye.

Jumping out of 50/50s, ducking out of headers, he is one of the reasons we are so easy to play against.

Reach got lucky signing for us, if he hadn't he would be out on loan in League One from Boro getting kicked to pieces.

100s of players like Reach didn't make it in the pro game because they lacked application, like I say he got lucky.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can't disagree. I can't fault his effort but his passes weren't off target today due to him being one step ahead of everyone else, they were off target because they were poorly placed. 

His shooting and dead ball crosses haven't been much better. In the past few weeks he has taken 2 free-kicks from the edge of the box south stand side, one ended up on Penistone Road and today one drifted aimlessly into the Kop. By contrast from a similar position Snodgrass put one on a plate for his team to score and Waghorn put one in the back of our net.

I would play him at wing-back in this formation. I know Boyd scored today but generally he looks like a duck out of water stuck out there, offering neither adequate defensive cover or the ability to beat a man out wide or whip a cross in. Boyd is a danger in and around the box and has an eye for goal, I would rather seem him used occasionally as a 2nd striker option than wing-back.

A 442 suits us right now.

Reach Jones Claire Boyd 

Pudil Lees Fred Hunt

Every player in their best role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

He looks great to the untrained eye.

Jumping out of 50/50s, ducking out of headers, he is one of the reasons we are so easy to play against.

Reach got lucky signing for us, if he hadn't he would be out on loan in League One from Boro getting kicked to pieces.

100s of players like Reach didn't make it in the pro game because they lacked application, like I say he got lucky.

Who would you replace him with at the minute?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

George Boyd... Don't even get me started with him. He played 36 games in the Premier League for Burnely last season plating Left Wing. We get him and stick him at full back (yeah, full back because ours aren't wing backs). One thing that got me is how unfit he looks. I thought fitness and good set of lungs was what George Boyd was about!! 

The only thing about Reach going to full back again is the fact he neshes challenges all the time. And as you said previously, if we are going to persist with the 5-3-2 you have to have someone with good delivery as its your only source of width. Neither Reach or Hunt can cross a ball. Upgrades needed for both sides if we play this system

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

A 442 suits us right now.

Reach Jones Claire Boyd 

Pudil Lees Fred Hunt

Every player in their best role.

Got to be worth trying something else. I don't think 3-5-2 would be a bad option with everyone fit and Reach playing wing-back but Boyd offers nothing in that position. The 2 times he did get involved well in the second half came when Bolton were stretched and caught out and he came inside. He doesn't get stuck in and can't carry us upfield at all from that position unless the opposition are stretched.

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

George Boyd... Don't even get me started with him. He played 36 games in the Premier League for Burnely last season plating Left Wing. We get him and stick him at full back (yeah, full back because ours aren't wing backs). One thing that got me is how unfit he looks. I thought fitness and good set of lungs was what George Boyd was about!! 

The only thing about Reach going to full back again is the fact he neshes challenges all the time. And as you said previously, if we are going to persist with the 5-3-2 you have to have someone with good delivery as its your only source of width. Neither Reach or Hunt can cross a ball. Upgrades needed for both sides if we play this system

Yea we know all this......

But given what we have, theres f.ook all we can do about it at the minute is there...Reach put a great cross in to Nuhiu today and was instrumental in the goal that got us a point...Is he good enough to play in a top Championship side?

Maybe not...

But who out of the 11 that started today, and were on the bench are?

Not f.ookin' many is it?

This is an argument for next season , we need to sort a system out this season...with what we have...and if Reach isn't part of that...I'm simply asking who you have instead of him?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Yea we know all this......

But given what we have, theres f.ook all we can do about it at the minute is there...Reach put a great cross in to Nuhiu today and was instrumental in the goal that got us a point...Is he good enough to play in a top Championship side?

Maybe not...

But who out of the 11 that started today, and were on the bench are?

Not f.ookin' many is it?

This is an argument for next season , we need to sort a system out this season...with what we have...and if Reach isn't part of that...I'm simply asking who you have instead of him?

We need to identify an identity. This is how we're going to play and we're going to have recruitment plan that fits that identity. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I don't actually know what Adam Reach is. I know what he isn't... He isn't a Left Back, a winger or a Centre Mid. But thats just my opinion.