Adam Reach

Guest Kagoshimaowl

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Couldnt agree more.

The only top drawer player on the field for weeks and weeks, now joined by Lees. He is playing a very unfamiliar role - the wrong role imo - and works his tripe off. Yes today frankly he was very poor on the ball. But as always our busiest player.

The lad has had a fabulous season individually, surrounded by players barely fit to play with him. I worry that he has seemed exasperated recently, such as his strop with Rhodes on Tuesday. 

Unless Jos or the new guy persuade Adam that we are going places he will be off. He deserves better than a lower half Championship team. He should and will play a Prem football at some stage soon. As LW or LWB.

Please get him out of CM.

Agreed.

Yesterday he was the only player willing to take responsibility. It was as if he was trying to make a point to the players around him.  

Was everywhere doing everything and the rest were happy to sit back and let him. 

Edited by Beholder

Let me start by saying it's not his fault he came with a 5 million price, but this fantasy that he's a qualty player and one day play in the premiership is beyond fiction.he's scared to tackle. Gives the ball away. to slow and it's like defending with 10 men when we hav'nt got the ball. I think most people are just seeing his wonder strikes at villa and forest. but that does not make a season. I hope he proves me wrong but i cant see it

Just now, bubbleowl said:

I agrree at the moment but in the long term he's not the answer

Definitely. I don't think 352 is the answer long term. Your wing backs need to be among your best players so we'd need a new one on both sides which would cost too much. I'm pretty sure he's only playing it because our lack of wingers though.

31 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

Let me start by saying it's not his fault he came with a 5 million price, but this fantasy that he's a qualty player and one day play in the premiership is beyond fiction.he's scared to tackle. Gives the ball away. to slow and it's like defending with 10 men when we hav'nt got the ball. I think most people are just seeing his wonder strikes at villa and forest. but that does not make a season. I hope he proves me wrong but i cant see it

Where are you getting this 'he's slow' from? Loovens, Rhodes,Nuhiu, Butterfield and Fox are slow. Reach is never going to be a sprinter but to call him slow is so wide of the mark. He isn't going going to win many races upto 20 yards but when it's a relatively long sprint (in football terms) over 45 yards he's no slouch. I have seen him out sprint Lewis Grabban in a straight one v one at Hillsborough when Grabban was on loan at Reading last season. This stuck in my mind as Reach was the last man and I had Grabban down as a dead cert to be through on goal as he is pretty rapid.

35 minutes ago, Walt said:

Where are you getting this 'he's slow' from? Loovens, Rhodes,Nuhiu, Butterfield and Fox are slow. Reach is never going to be a sprinter but to call him slow is so wide of the mark. He isn't going going to win many races upto 20 yards but when it's a relatively long sprint (in football terms) over 45 yards he's no slouch. I have seen him out sprint Lewis Grabban in a straight one v one at Hillsborough when Grabban was on loan at Reading last season. This stuck in my mind as Reach was the last man and I had Grabban down as a dead cert to be through on goal as he is pretty rapid.

I dont get what people see in reach that i dont see .you mention 1 incident which i cant recall but i see a player who does not stand out in a team of sloths.by the way you did'nt disagree with the rest of my comments then

12 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

I dont get what people see in reach that i dont see .you mention 1 incident which i cant recall but i see a player who does not stand out in a team of sloths.by the way you did'nt disagree with the rest of my comments then

No I was just commenting on you calling him slow which for me being an ex runner is either black or white. I highlighted one incident when he was in a one v one (against a sprinter) over a long distance and Reach came out on top. I could have easily pointed out other incidents or matches such as the Burton match (previous season) when Reach was moved to LWB and started to destroy their right back for pace (The Beard, best right back, ever pigonomics), and how The Beard until then had FF in his pocket.

As for me disagreeing with your other comments I can actually see both sides of the argument. What I will say is that he keeps being asked to play different roles, it was blindingly obvious when he was one week played at LB and the next LM. It may be not quite so obvious now but his role in midfield (to my eyes) changes from week to week, sometimes he's the attacking mid and sometimes he's asked to play the role of normal center mid, that has happened this week. He needs to be played in one position and for me right now in our current predicament that would probably be either Att.Mid or LWB. I can see the benefits of him at LWB but also his defensive limitations - backing out of challenges, I blame him for the non challenge that lead to cross for the goal yesterday, but feel the positives would outweigh the negatives. 

I can also see that he is trying to make a difference, he's not hiding, he wants the ball, he wants to go forward. That will do for me. 

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

No I was just commenting on you calling him slow which for me being an ex runner is either black or white. I highlighted one incident when he was in a one v one (against a sprinter) over a long distance and Reach came out on top. I could have easily pointed out other incidents or matches such as the Burton match (previous season) when Reach was moved to LWB and started to destroy their right back for pace (The Beard, best right back, ever pigonomics), and how The Beard until then had FF in his pocket.

As for me disagreeing with your other comments I can actually see both sides of the argument. What I will say is that he keeps being asked to play different roles, it was blindingly obvious when he was one week played at LB and the next LM. It may be not quite so obvious now but his role in midfield (to my eyes) changes from week to week, sometimes he's the attacking mid and sometimes he's asked to play the role of normal center mid, that has happened this week. He needs to be played in one position and for me right now in our current predicament that would probably be either Att.Mid or LWB. I can see the benefits of him at LWB but also his defensive limitations - backing out of challenges, I blame him for the non challenge that lead to cross for the goal yesterday, but feel the positives would outweigh the negatives. 

I can also see that he is trying to make a difference, he's not hiding, he wants the ball, he wants to go forward. That will do for me. 

I cant disagree with you points you made about LWB the point i was making was there are fans on hear seem to think he cant do anything wrong and he is a quality player and is premiership class he's not. What he does is work hard and i except does'nt hide, but if everybody was fit he would be no more than a squad player

3 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

I cant disagree with you points you made about LWB the point i was making was there are fans on hear seem to think he cant do anything wrong and he is a quality player and is premiership class he's not. What he does is work hard and i except does'nt hide, but if everybody was fit he would be no more than a squad player

That's the problem, everything nowadays is either brilliant or crap and no inbetween.

Regarding he'd only be a squad player: He was one of only a few that broke into the team of CC's favourites when everyone was fit. I suppose it depends on what system we would play if everyone was fit.

442. Not as a center mid, no way. He's the only option for LM as apparently FF doesn't want to play there

352. Play him LWB as Fox isn't up to it and Pudil looks better as Left CB

451 /433 / 4231. Maybe as left back because we are so limited. I'd play FF as the left forward in all three formations.

Diamond. I'm still having nightmares about when he played left back against the pigs and they took the wee wee down our LHS as Bannan was so narrow. He could play the att.mid role but you'd think FF would be a better fit, that said whenever FF has played this role for us it hasn't suited him for some reason?

Been easily our player of the season, just looking a bit jaded. If. we had  anyone else,  it would be the ideal time to give him a break. 

As for the Clare thread, really ? We've got some good young players coming through (first time since Law's babies"). The one thing they are not going to be as they break into the first team is consistent. We've seen the over the top criticism time and time again here. We will not progress young players unless they are allowed the odd mistake/off game.  

3 minutes ago, sheffielddart said:

Been easily our player of the season, just looking a bit jaded. If. we had  anyone else,  it would be the ideal time to give him a break. 

As for the Clare thread, really ? We've got some good young players coming through (first time since Law's babies"). The one thing they are not going to be as they break into the first team is consistent. We've seen the over the top criticism time and time again here. We will not progress young players unless they are allowed the odd mistake/off game.  

Agreed

Owlstalk Shop

33 minutes ago, Walt said:

That's the problem, everything nowadays is either brilliant or crap and no inbetween.

Regarding he'd only be a squad player: He was one of only a few that broke into the team of CC's favourites when everyone was fit. I suppose it depends on what system we would play if everyone was fit.

442. Not as a center mid, no way. He's the only option for LM as apparently FF doesn't want to play there

352. Play him LWB as Fox isn't up to it and Pudil looks better as Left CB

451 /433 / 4231. Maybe as left back because we are so limited. I'd play FF as the left forward in all three formations.

Diamond. I'm still having nightmares about when he played left back against the pigs and they took the wee wee down our LHS as Bannan was so narrow. He could play the att.mid role but you'd think FF would be a better fit, that said whenever FF has played this role for us it hasn't suited him for some reason?

The point you make is right about under CC but i also think carlos had to justify the record fee at that time.your other point about where he plays makes my point he's not a shoe in for any position if you ask me he was the wrong type of player to bring in, we needed a winger with pace and not a utility player

50 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

The point you make is right about under CC but i also think carlos had to justify the record fee at that time.your other point about where he plays makes my point he's not a shoe in for any position if you ask me he was the wrong type of player to bring in, we needed a winger with pace and not a utility player

Think we made him into a utility player, that's not his fault and has probably hindered him. What position was he signed to play? Carlos hardly ever went with wingers so I'm guessing left mid. I don't know about the youth set up but I can only see Reach as the only genuine left midfielder at the club (for me there is a big difference between left winger and left mid).

You're pushing an open door with me regarding signing wingers with pace asI think  we should have signed a couple, but as said above CC never really played with wingers as he was too bothered about his "compact" system. 

7 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Seriously, not still using that are you?

So last year and it was sad & pathetic then.

Not sure what the relevance is with comparisons with Joao, (or Hooper for that matter). 

As I said last night.

You wouldn't know a decent footballer while you have a hole in your ar*e.

But carry on assassinating our players mate, will no doubt reap rich rewards for the team in your warped world. 

I clearly do though. I’m just not easily pleased like you.