Season 2018/19 Expectations

Depends how these long term injuries shake out really - A lot of the players on the higher end of the wage scale have been out a long time now, if they don't come back well then it'll be hard to move them on and there won't be much room for manoeuvre in the summer - In which case about 10th would be good.

But of course they'll all be back and banging them in like it's 2015. Going up to the Prem as champions. 

8 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Looking ahead to next season and making the assumption we will still be a Championship side, what are you expectations, your realistic starting 11 and realistic squad we will have, I'll go with:

Expectations - Top 8 hopefully pushing for a play off spot.

First 11:

Wildsmith

Venancio  Lees   Hutchinson

New RWB   Pelupessy   Bannan   Reach    New LWB

Fernando

Hooper

You could argue play Joao instead of Hooper who struggles to be fit constantly (signing a top quality striker to replace Hooper is going to cost and we won't be spending much money IMO). 

I would also ensure that we sign a CB who is as good as the first 3 to replace Hutchinson when he gets injured or sent off (yes we have Van Aken but I haven't been inspired by him).

Regular Subs: Dawson, Clare, Joao, Lee, New ST,  New CM, Van Aken

Squad Players: Hunt, Rhodes, Boyd, Thorniley,  Nuhiu (I'd give him another year - never thought I'd say that), Palmer

Players we should look at offloading if possible - Westwood, Fletcher, Mathias, Abdi, Jones, Rhodes - my estimate this would free up around 170-200k a week in wages but getting shut is the biggest problem apart from Westwood?

Signings - RWB, CM x 2, Striker x 2, LWB

I do honestly believe that a fully fit first 11 similar to above with of course the 3 new additions would be a damn good first 11 to compete in top half easily. Jos has a big job to do in the summer and it isn't going to be easy. Hopefully Mr Chansiri will back him as much as he can given the FFP constraints.

We all know this season has been an utter shambles and one of the most disappointing for a long time but the core is still there for a very good squad, some decent dealings in the summer, some tough pre season friendly opponents (none of the poo teams we normally play, let's get some tough teams in) and Jos having a good few months to implement his plan, it could all pan out pretty decent I think.

I know one should never assume but it would have to be a complete disaster between now and the end of May for this to go wrong and with players slowly coming back, I think we will be fine even if we only win another 2/3 games.

So Pudil is gone?

These multiple man of the match awards really seem to have destroyed his career.

Are you Jos? 

7 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Not with Bannan, it's one or the other for me. Which one is a tricky one?

I'd have said Lee out of the two but I would like to see what Bannan can do playing in this formation rather than sat back. Lee's fitness is a big concern.

You've put Hutch in your starting XI - you'll get half a season from him again next year. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
6 hours ago, leono said:

Even Carlos managed to get this team into 4th place.

So with a better manager, players back from injury and some well thought out additions over the summer we should easily be a top 3 team.

Keep the faith.

Jos is definitely not a better manager

19 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Jos is definitely not a better manager

It's far too early to tell, isn't it?

So far he's had largely the dregs of our squad to work with, yet he's managed to get us looking more organised, solid and committed than we did in Carlos' final few months.

The real comparison will surely come once he's had the opportunity to put out a few teams with the likes of Hooper, Forestieri, Bannan, Lee, Lees, Hutchinson, Fletcher etc. included, won't it?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

36 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

So Pudil is gone?

These multiple man of the match awards really seem to have destroyed his career.

Are you Jos? 

I'm clearly not Jos am I and yes Pudil should be cast away. A few games don't make up for a few seasons of garbage sorry. I do think he might get another year though.

Edited by WayneTheOwl

A lot of faith being shown here That’s admirable I suppose, but not much based on reality

Lets start at the top, we’ve been badly run by a well meaning owner who has little football knowledge Mistakes aplenty, and with no clear plan going forward

We have a large bloated squad, many of whom have seen better days, and most of whom, are on long contracts Contrary to what most on here thought, we don’t have the best group of strikers in the division Far from it, as we’ve seen this season In fact, I’d go as far as to say, we have a very average squad by championship standards Some good players, yes, but Carlos certainly had us overachieving

Which brings me to the new coach It’s an interesting appointment, and one that intrigues me, rather than excites me He does have a decent record at the places he’s been, although he’s never coached in England That matters not, neither did Carlos, and he did well for us, and indeed, is now doing well in the Premier League

I think Jos can make progress, but it might be a long haul, and is dependent on less mistakes being made at the top

Because we are also hamstrung by FFP, it won’t be as easy as some are suggesting

All things considered, an upper mid table place would be a realistic forecast, in my opinion anyway

Edited by gurujuan

We definately need to offload some players, they are not good enough and get some new blood in, out team is also too old now.  Continue to bring in the young players, have a better fitness regime and hopefully injuries will be kept to a minimum and I see a decent season.  I am behind Jos for now, want to see what he does with a proper fit squad and new players.

Still think too many people are casting Westwood off too early 

If were serious about wanting promotion next season, the margins are extremely small. Wildsmith/Dawson are the future of goalkeeping for this club, no question, but whilst young, mistakes generally happen more regularly. 

That is more of a problem when trying to get promoted as a point here and there can make the difference. When mid table, less so.

Id rather keep him, loan out one of JW/CD so they can have a year of football and develop, making mistakes elsewhere whilst the other is fantastic back up for KW. 

Then assess where we are end of next season when Westwoods contract is up.