Season 2018/19 Expectations

Looking ahead to next season and making the assumption we will still be a Championship side, what are you expectations, your realistic starting 11 and realistic squad we will have, I'll go with:

Expectations - Top 8 hopefully pushing for a play off spot.

First 11:

Wildsmith

Venancio  Lees   Hutchinson

New RWB   Pelupessy   Bannan   Reach    New LWB

Fernando

Hooper

You could argue play Joao instead of Hooper who struggles to be fit constantly (signing a top quality striker to replace Hooper is going to cost and we won't be spending much money IMO). 

I would also ensure that we sign a CB who is as good as the first 3 to replace Hutchinson when he gets injured or sent off (yes we have Van Aken but I haven't been inspired by him).

Regular Subs: Dawson, Clare, Joao, Lee, New ST,  New CM, Van Aken

Squad Players: Hunt, Rhodes, Boyd, Thorniley,  Nuhiu (I'd give him another year - never thought I'd say that), Palmer

Players we should look at offloading if possible - Westwood, Fletcher, Mathias, Abdi, Jones, Rhodes - my estimate this would free up around 170-200k a week in wages but getting shut is the biggest problem apart from Westwood?

Signings - RWB, CM x 2, Striker x 2, LWB

I do honestly believe that a fully fit first 11 similar to above with of course the 3 new additions would be a damn good first 11 to compete in top half easily. Jos has a big job to do in the summer and it isn't going to be easy. Hopefully Mr Chansiri will back him as much as he can given the FFP constraints.

We all know this season has been an utter shambles and one of the most disappointing for a long time but the core is still there for a very good squad, some decent dealings in the summer, some tough pre season friendly opponents (none of the poo teams we normally play, let's get some tough teams in) and Jos having a good few months to implement his plan, it could all pan out pretty decent I think.

I know one should never assume but it would have to be a complete disaster between now and the end of May for this to go wrong and with players slowly coming back, I think we will be fine even if we only win another 2/3 games.

Just now, Kanye West said:

Think your team is probably pretty much spot on, really can’t wait to see Fernando, Hooper and Bannan all on the same pitch again. 

Fernando given a completely free roll will be superb I think if it does happen (if he stays with us), it will benefit him so much in this role having 2 wing backs (good ones). I'd tell Hooper not to fizz about running himself ragged, get in the box and do the job. Let the others around him get on with supply etc etc

1 minute ago, sMacLean said:

Top 6 realistic, Top 2 must be the goal. Probably need 8 new players with some deadwood going. New wing-backs if continuing wiith this system a must.

What players would you be targeting who realistically would come and be in a smaller budget that we probably will have?

One player would be ideal for me but won't happen and that is Baldock at the Sty. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Absolutely nailed on for promotion, automatic too.

As long as we can keep our best players together after relegation

2 minutes ago, leetheowl said:

Champions

Of League 1

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Absolutely nailed on for promotion, automatic too.

As long as we can keep our best players together after relegation

Do you two honestly see us going down? Or are you just feeling that down about it all at the moment?

32 minutes ago, cjtowl1972 said:

Surely a full fit Kieran Lee has to start

Not with Bannan, it's one or the other for me. Which one is a tricky one?

I'd have said Lee out of the two but I would like to see what Bannan can do playing in this formation rather than sat back. Lee's fitness is a big concern.

Edited by WayneTheOwl

52 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Looking ahead to next season and making the assumption we will still be a Championship side, what are you expectations, your realistic starting 11 and realistic squad we will have, I'll go with:

Expectations - Top 8 hopefully pushing for a play off spot.

First 11:

Wildsmith

Venancio  Lees   Hutchinson

New RWB   Pelupessy   Bannan   Reach    New LWB

Fernando

Hooper

You could argue play Joao instead of Hooper who struggles to be fit constantly (signing a top quality striker to replace Hooper is going to cost and we won't be spending much money IMO). 

I would also ensure that we sign a CB who is as good as the first 3 to replace Hutchinson when he gets injured or sent off (yes we have Van Aken but I haven't been inspired by him).

Regular Subs: Dawson, Clare, Joao, Lee, New ST,  New CM, Van Aken

Squad Players: Hunt, Rhodes, Boyd, Thorniley,  Nuhiu (I'd give him another year - never thought I'd say that), Palmer

Players we should look at offloading if possible - Westwood, Fletcher, Mathias, Abdi, Jones, Rhodes - my estimate this would free up around 170-200k a week in wages but getting shut is the biggest problem apart from Westwood?

Signings - RWB, CM x 2, Striker x 2, LWB

I do honestly believe that a fully fit first 11 similar to above with of course the 3 new additions would be a damn good first 11 to compete in top half easily. Jos has a big job to do in the summer and it isn't going to be easy. Hopefully Mr Chansiri will back him as much as he can given the FFP constraints.

We all know this season has been an utter shambles and one of the most disappointing for a long time but the core is still there for a very good squad, some decent dealings in the summer, some tough pre season friendly opponents (none of the poo teams we normally play, let's get some tough teams in) and Jos having a good few months to implement his plan, it could all pan out pretty decent I think.

I know one should never assume but it would have to be a complete disaster between now and the end of May for this to go wrong and with players slowly coming back, I think we will be fine even if we only win another 2/3 games.

Agree with most of the team selection & transfer thoughts.

I'd really like to see how we perform with a 532 formation with two proper wing backs and options like Bannan & FF available. Part of me wonders if Jos might change things once players come back from injury though, I feel like we're only playing 5 across the back because he doesn't have the right players to maybe play his first choice formation?

I don't think Hooper/FF can be our starting pairing, they aren't efficient together unless FF plays in a wider role.

I have no idea who will still be here come start of next season but selling any of the big names like Hooper, FF, Rhodes, Westwood, Bannan etc to fund other areas and manage FFP wouldn't surprise me. However I am certain we'll see Winnall & Fletcher leave and if the price is right Rhodes, we need some diversity in our forwards and they are the least valuable in that regard. 

Assuming we sign Venancio which I think we will getting another CB would be a top priority for me, Van Aken also doesn't inspire me and you can't rely on Hutchinson for 30+ games a season. 

CM is the only area where i think we are fine, I really like Reach as a CM in a midfield 3 and providing the injury to Lee isn't serious having options of Reach/Lee/Bannan/Pelupessy/Hutchinson/Jones/Clare fighting for 2/3 positions is really strong.

Like you say overall the squad is still pretty good and we are really close to being a top two team. If we're savvy with our transfer business and sign the right players there is no reason at all why we can't be automatic promotion contenders from day 1.

This club needs a massive overhaul of players because currently there are too many weak minded individuals that can’t handle the pressure of playing at Sheffield Wednesday.

Hutch, Westwood, Hooper, Pelupessy, Bannan and possibly Pudil are the only players at this club that i would class as born winners.