Were we ever better than this? 25 Years Ago On This Day

Barring the FA Cup semi vs the Blunts one of my favourite games from this period !  #OnThisDay 25 years ago an amazing display by a Wednesday team at the height of their powers defeating @Rovers 4-2 away in the 1st Leg SF of the League Cup. The wonderful yellow and black away kit. Goals
 Warhurst 2, @johnharkes6 & Shez  John Sheridan

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Barring the FA Cup semi vs the Blunts one of my favourite games from this period !  #OnThisDay 25 years ago an amazing display by a Wednesday team at the height of their powers defeating @Rovers 4-2 away in the 1st Leg SF of the League Cup. The wonderful yellow and black away kit. Goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcu81EPYnk

This was the best 20 mins of football I’ve seen by a Wednesday team - ever.

Just now, dunsbyowl said:

No, I've never seen us better either pal.

For most of that game we were truly unplayable especially a 20 minute period kicking towards the away end. Even now I remember a Blackburn team looking completely out of their depth.

(Kit looked good too!)

• Like 1

I was there that night. We were absolutely brilliant. Warhurst, defender turned striker was on fire and Sheridan was imperious as per usual. It was a great Wednesday team! 

There was a comedy moment as there was a guy with some crutches in the crowd and all you could see was the crutches being flung into the air when we continued to score at will in the first half.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To my eternal regret I passed up the chance to go to try and pull a girl I fancied at a Sheffield College party instead.  

Watched the game on video when I got in at 3am in my parents living room instead. Wasn’t quite the same. Didn’t even pull the girl either. 

Waddle, Sheridan and Warhurst in particular were on another planet that night. Oh for just a tenth of that ability this afternoon. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

that game was the peak for me - started going down hill after that. It was a great three years though.

6 minutes ago, Animis said:

that game was the peak for me - started going down hill after that. It was a great three years though.

Didn’t it all start to unravel at the final when Francis asked Warhurst to go back to centre half cos of defensive injuries ?

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Didn’t it all start to unravel at the final when Francis asked Warhurst to go back to centre half cos of defensive injuries ?

yes - we starting to in-fight and there were some injuries mounting as well, Pearson played on with a broken leg in this game if my memory serves me right. TF was starting to lose it and by the final replay the team looked defeated, injured, knackered and half of them would be moved on. It was a shame as they'd probably played 70 odd games that season, with europe games in there as well.

Tremendous team - probably on par with the 82-85 team for me as an all round combative unit. 

We should model our next team on those two teams.

• Like 1