When did owls become pigs

10 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

This and zzmdu are both right.

At some point in the 70/80s some of our fans started calling them Pigs. I’d never heard the term  used before this time.

Incredibly a short while after this some Unitedites decided to use it in reference to us though there was no logic in it at all.

This fits with my experience of it.....late 1972 was when I first heard it, I left school in 72 & had never heard the term from either set of fans all through my school life & I had plenty of mates who were Blades...of course that doesn't mean it was never used anywhere, just that I'd never heard it.........wouldn't have a clue who called it who first though.

Again only my experience and not being from Sheffield maybe slightly different but I remember us referring to them as pigs around the jack charlton promotion season I called all united fans I knew pigs they usually replied with Wednesday poopydoo or suchlike but lo and behold a few years later they replied with the pig name. They are a strange set of fans to who originality is a stranger 

17 hours ago, zzmdu said:

The truth is they copied us and starting calling it us in the late 1980s. 

Not sure about that mate.

I went to Dinno comp in the late 70s where the Unitedites hilariously drew our 'new' Owl with a pig nose, ears and curly tail. One of my United mates who went away a lot, told me it was a name for Wednesday although not that widely used at the time. None of us at school called each other that and I only remember it becoming common in the late 80s.

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

There were only 5 days left of the 70s after the BDM lol

Ha ha my bad. Well I’m more confused than ever now.

Think I better go back to my original 70/80s assumption.

its not I term I’ve ever used and was never used in my circle of friends. 

You'd think " Boxing Day" are two words they would want to forget instead of doing a pathetic arrangement of the song. As for Pigs, must admit we were called it at school in the 70's and we called them the Blunts. Problem is on Praise and Grumble all the local idiot fans in the area call us it, and in a couple of fans books we are called it. Thing is, who gives a throw it's totally childish and puerile. Doesn't worry me one little bit. Can't see why it worries anyone over the age of 6.

2 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

Not sure about that mate.

I went to Dinno comp in the late 70s where the Unitedites hilariously drew our 'new' Owl with a pig nose, ears and curly tail. One of my United mates who went away a lot, told me it was a name for Wednesday although not that widely used at the time. None of us at school called each other that and I only remember it becoming common in the late 80s.

The Owl in question was unveiled in 1973, which fits in with you're timings.

The SUFC Derby program of 1967 (thanks @dunsbyowl) mentioned the connection that Wednesday Fan made with  SUFC & Piggery (red & white stripes = bacon)

was folklore/custom

Now for something to be labelled  & established as folklore/customs, many decades are needed for this.

For example we're called Barnsley the Dingles for 20 years, this nickname would never be described as a Wednesday custom.

For something to be called a Wednesday custom in 1967, this connection must be at least 4 decades old. Going back to the 1920s, at least.

I've only heard the pig iron story in the last few years. This might be true, but I suspect it's a counter to the blunts 75 reasons why they started calling us the pigs.

The red & white bacon thing goes back many many decades.

The pigs, with no imagination, just copied (what is a pretty sad insult anyway).

There is an old newspaper article from way back when, it reports on one of very early derby games and the reporter mentions that  Wednesday were giving them the runaround and because of the colours of the respective shirts we looked like butchers putting pigs to the slaughter.

Im sure @dunsbyowl has posted this before.

On a side note, there are a lot of things that United have stolen over the years...... even the Greasy Chip Butty isnt theirs, that was stolen from Rotherham.

However, we have to admit that there are some wonderful things that we have stolen from them over the years and we should give them some credit for starting them..... such as the Boxing Day song which we took and "Mind the Gap"

On 16/01/2018 at 15:49, Geosword said:

Absolutely this.

They're just lazy copy and pasters.
Took our nickname cos they couldn't be arsed to come up with one of their own.
Took our shirt but just coloured it the opposite.
Took our songs.
Took our insults.
And that's just off the top of my head. Probably umpteen more.
Nothing original about them at all.

Also this "City is their's" now apparently.