Bannan

2 hours ago, Shifty Powers said:

Been our best player this season. Although that's not saying an awful lot, he is always the one trying to make things happen.

Just needs to stop those annoying little 10 yard dinks into the box that Hooper can never control.

This 

he does it every game :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

He’s been fantastic for Wednesday, the heartbeat of the side. 

The ironic cheers when he passed it out to Fox were a bit pathetic because you can’t play the obvious ball every single time. Fans are clueless at times.

Love Bannan and always have done even when some "clueless" fans were wanting to get rid of him last season, but I couldn't disagree more - we got tired of saying how much space Fox was in throughout the game and no one was passing it out to him.

I don't think the cheer was aimed at Bannan, just the fact Fox had been given the ball - if that makes me clueless so be it (I didn't cheer by the way, but can understand why some fans did).

2 hours ago, torres said:

Of course there is no point being a headless chicken, totally agree, but Hooper at times is like a legless chicken!

He looks at the bench to see if he should press, he adjusts his shorts, looks round to see if anyone else can run instead, points a bit,  then he saunters extra slowly to close the defender down - its just plain laziness and hampers the team as a whole in my opinion.

Wonderfully technically gifted player, but as lazy as they come. 

Gi it a rest 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul Triplo said:

That ten-yard dink into the box for Lee's unfairly disallowed goal against Leeds was sublime.

If I recall that correctly, wasn't a dink but a nice pass slotted along the floor into space. The "dink" Shifty referred to is the straight lob over the top that invariably runs out of play or straight to the keeper as has no angle on it.

8 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Love Bannan and always have done even when some "clueless" fans were wanting to get rid of him last season, but I couldn't disagree more - we got tired of saying how much space Fox was in throughout the game and no one was passing it out to him.

I don't think the cheer was aimed at Bannan, just the fact Fox had been given the ball - if that makes me clueless so be it (I didn't cheer by the way, but can understand why some fans did).

Probably couldn't see him because of those flippin' advertising hoardings. I know I struggled to make him out from the South. lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Oh give it a rest.

Theres no point chasing a keeper down unless there's a remote chance you can put him off, block it etc. Shouldn't do it when they can just pass it round you as there's no one else within 30 yards  

It get's the team and the fans going...

Sometimes seeing someone make that run lifts everyone.

3 hours ago, torres said:

Outstanding last night 

The only one who never shirks responsibility, works harder than anyone in the team and has real ability 

We'd be lost without him 

Yet he gets hammered on here. Obviously by those who don't go to a sodding match. Even now player of the season for me. The rest average.

He is an interesting one as for me, in this 4-4-2 set up he is our heartbeat when we have the ball and he is our problem when we don't have it. When he has space and is on the ball he is one of our best players by far and pulls the strings. However, without the ball he is a liability - opposition players turn him like he isn't there and he often isn't disciplined enough to go with his man - there were a number of occasions last night. As a central midfielder pair with Butterfield or Lee this presents big problems to me and is one of the reasons we can be carved open so easily. So the question is, how do we set up where it doesn't matter as much what he is doing off the ball? Go for a 5 man midfield? 

Edited by roundhayowl
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brommers said:

If I recall that correctly, wasn't a dink but a nice pass slotted along the floor into space. The "dink" Shifty referred to is the straight lob over the top that invariably runs out of play or straight to the keeper as has no angle on it.

Thats exactly what I mean!

Thats how I remember how Lees scored as well. 

I appreciate sometimes there isn't much on and it can be quite congested in the midddle so he is probably left with no options, but it's frustrating, particularly with Hooper not being the tallest.

50 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

It get's the team and the fans going...

Sometimes seeing someone make that run lifts everyone.

When it's 60 seconds from half time and you're winning 2-1 it's not necessary in my opinion though. Unnecessary risk especially in that scenario

3 hours ago, modboy said:

Moving Bannan to left wing cost us the game against Barnsley

Well it certainly didn't help, but IMO moving Reach from left wing was more of the reason we dropped 2 much needed points.:columbo:

Whilst Bannan is most certainly a good player there are times that I find him infuriating. Just two examples there are many more.

1 On Saturday he was running clear of our defence in good possession when inexplicably he made an outrageous powerful back heel that was just missed being picked up by Barnsley's right winger and almost caught out Pudil who just managed to bang it clear. Why   oh why didn't he just continue the run and put Barnsley under pressure.

2 Last night Fox (or was it Reach I'm not sure) was clear on the left well placed to run forward and get a cross in. Instead Barry tried to chip a little ball over the top to Hooper who was not best placed to do anything with it. The ball just goes out for a goal kick thus giving Millwall the ball back.

For all the great work he does it's this sort of stuff that he does that separates him from being the great player that he can and should be.

Edited by mark1948
Typos

5 hours ago, BIG D said:

He’s been fantastic for Wednesday, the heartbeat of the side. 

The ironic cheers when he passed it out to Fox were a bit pathetic because you can’t play the obvious ball every single time. Fans are clueless at times.

Last night Millwall were extremely weak on their right, our left. The refusal of Bannan to play in Fox who had demonstrated earlier just how effective he was, was just plain daft. Whilst there is no doubting his ability his decision making is unfathomable at times.

By the way I always want Bannan in the side despite this because for the most part he is class.

Edited by mark1948
Typos

Putting it out there though is he the player we currently need. I will explain

Every team in our division that has got promoted over the last 5 - 10 years has either had a 20 goal a season striker or two and goals from midfield.

Bannan record with us is 3 goals in 100+ appearance at any level that is extremely poor, Kieren Lee is 18 in 150+ and improving, Hutch is 2 in 81 games and so on

Then look at Newcastle last season Ritchie 16 in 48 games, Diame 6 in 39, Goufran 7 in 44 and a striker scoring goals, Brighton with Knockhaet 15 in 45 and 4 other players all in double figures. We are that bothered with tryers and work rate are we shooting ourselves in the foot by not instead playing players who create chance and score them. Would it not be better to buy a creative midfielder who scored goals instead of a Bannan/Lee with work rate

as work rate does not win football games goals do.

I wait to get the abuse for questioning Bannan