Fessi and Hutch

22 minutes ago, ramone said:

Excellent post.

People will give you the 'you can flower up stats to make them suit any argument'. Nut you simply cant argue with them. Nor can you argue with the Hooper/Fletcher stats nor the 1 defeat in last 12 when Jones has started.

There's a stat that says we are currently the 12th best team in the championship and that both the pigs and L**ds are better than us.  I, for one, would certainly argue with that.

30 minutes ago, ramone said:

Not so sure I agree with your FF comment. He gets crowded out when he plays centrally. His best position is coming from the left but he wont play there because the defensive side of the game tires him out apparently. He's ineffective playing in the middle

He's ineffective playing as a striker in a 442. Playing behind 2 strikers and being an attacking midfielder with more freedom is his natural position 

I think ruling Hutchinson out of midfield is jumping the gun.

There are games when we have been crying of for his energy and drive.

He's far than than ever given credit for on the ball too. Just because he likes a blockbuster tackle people seem to overlook the fact he's capable on the ball.

Jones has done well, in terms of the team getting some results.  It's his shirt to lose.

But I also think that he remarkable run of being in a team which hasn't been defeated too often has been helped by the fact that Gary Hooper is in an incredible purple patch.

And that Kieran Lee is back. 

Carlos using his subtle diamond more and more this season is another factor.  And in fact. I think we'd see Hutchinson absolutely revel in the role rather than the two with Bannan he was forced into last season. 

We'll see as the season unfolds I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

He's ineffective playing as a striker in a 442. Playing behind 2 strikers and being an attacking midfielder with more freedom is his natural position 

His natural and best position is in a wide left role in 4-3-3. By a mile. He's only ever played behind a front 2 for Wednesday once (that i can remember), away against Bolton this season in the cup and his performance was a complete shambles. 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Impossible for us to know for many reasons, but do we think Hutch would have replaced Jones in the promotion-winning Burnley twice, Derby and Wolves?

His record for the tough-side builder Dyche is so impressive:-

15/16 played 41/46 winning the Championship with matches to spare

14/15 played 36/38 in the Prem

13/14 played 46/46* gaining promotion 8 points clear

*here's a staggering one....he was subbed just four times in that promotion side. Dyche sat him on the bench for 55 minutes in an entire season!!!!

Really, in our heart of hearts, do we honestly think Sam is a better CM than Jones? Do we think Dyche would or should have played Sam ahead of Jones had he been on Burnley's books?

When Jones played against us I can't even remember him being on the field. I remember Barton, Vokes, Gray...but not Jones (ok scored a free-kick). 

I can see why we under-rate Jones, and we do. And I can see why we rate Hutch, but we over-rate him.

Hutch is a centre back that's where he should play ...and will I'm sure

1 hour ago, ramone said:

His natural and best position is in a wide left role in 4-3-3. By a mile. He's only ever played behind a front 2 for Wednesday once (that i can remember), away against Bolton this season in the cup and his performance was a complete shambles. 

I went to Bolton he played down the left and was abysmal. So next lie please

I had him as being on the left in that game.

Or at least, I suspect that is where he was meant to be..... 

Hard to tell as he seemed to be doing what he wanted. 

Which on that occasion wasn't very much.

Edited by Lord Snooty

Good options to have! Seriously though having Fessi and Rhodes on the bench seems a waste of talent and value to me. Your best players have to start and if these 2 can’t make it into the starting 11 they need selling in January and genuine upgrades on our starting 11 need bringing in.

A genuine winger would be nice - someone to pick a locked door or give us a breakaway option. They’d have to work as hard defensively as Reach or Wallace to get in the team though.

Apart from the experience the time at Burnley is nearly irrelevant as far as the job Jones is doing or not doing.

Firstly he is 33 next month, sometimes he runs like he is 53 so not exactly at his peak

Secondly we are asking him to do a completely different job. At Burnley he was surrounded by tacklers, here we are asking him to be the tackler.

He is good at keeping possession and moving the ball quickly. Hence he is good when we have the ball.

When the team plays well he will do ok, like yesterday.

When the team plays poorly he will be very poor like last Sunday 

He is not good enough to make the difference or lift the team.

Hutch is the other way round. 

When the team plays well you don't notice him.

When it plays poorly he will play the opposition on his own like he has a few times and probably win us games we would otherwise have lost

Only one I can really think of is Hutch for Jones, but its a hard one...

On the one hand you have Jones who does his job, mainly unnoticed ('Cept for Sunderland lol).

.On the other hand  Hutch who is always noticeable but not always for the right reasons...He's out at the minute due to a needless neck high tackle that could have seen him off anyhow

(forget who against...QPR? Forest?)

FF for Reach?, ...You would expect Reach to drop to LB wouldn't you, rather than dropped..So we change the system to accomodate FF?

It all depends on how the next month goes, if we carry on like that , changing anything to accomodate anyone would be rash.

Guest Copthorneowl
14 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Apart from the experience the time at Burnley is nearly irrelevant as far as the job Jones is doing or not doing.

Firstly he is 33 next month, sometimes he runs like he is 53 so not exactly at his peak

Secondly we are asking him to do a completely different job. At Burnley he was surrounded by tacklers, here we are asking him to be the tackler.

He is good at keeping possession and moving the ball quickly. Hence he is good when we have the ball.

When the team plays well he will do ok, like yesterday.

When the team plays poorly he will be very poor like last Sunday 

He is not good enough to make the difference or lift the team.

Hutch is the other way round. 

When the team plays well you don't notice him.

When it plays poorly he will play the opposition on his own like he has a few times and probably win us games we would otherwise have lost

Good relevant post. Emphasis on relevant and you don't need stats for it.

Gunna be a big issue this when Hutch is fit, a lot of wednesdayites gunna be getting wound up when Sam is missing out on squads or sat on the bench .....it’s very very hard to argue with the job that David Jones does he’s got so much experience at this level , the stats and his CV speak for themselves