Fessi and Hutch

14 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Doesn't matter which way you spin it, they've been on the pitch together for most of the season. We're midtable.

They are getting the game time that so many have been begging for. The sort of game time that FF/Joao and Hooper/Joao have never had. And we're midtable.

Spin?

They are results.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Impossible for us to know for many reasons, but do we think Hutch would have replaced Jones in the promotion-winning Burnley twice, Derby and Wolves?

His record for the tough-side builder Dyche is so impressive:-

15/16 played 41/46 winning the Championship with matches to spare

14/15 played 36/38 in the Prem

13/14 played 46/46* gaining promotion 8 points clear

*here's a staggering one....he was subbed just four times in that promotion side. Dyche sat him on the bench for 55 minutes in an entire season!!!!

Really, in our heart of hearts, do we honestly think Sam is a better CM than Jones? Do we think Dyche would or should have played Sam ahead of Jones had he been on Burnley's books?

When Jones played against us I can't even remember him being on the field. I remember Barton, Vokes, Gray...but not Jones (ok scored a free-kick). 

I can see why we under-rate Jones, and we do. And I can see why we rate Hutch, but we over-rate him.

It depends on who else is in the midfield tho. At Burnley Jones was playing alongside Barton, who was the midfield strength that I think we are lacking.  How many games in their promotion season did Jones play with Barton?

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

hooper & fletcher works why cant you see that ..14 points from 8 games is play off form ........those you mention may well work (or not) but why change summat that's working so well on the whim that it may or may not do better ......think we all agree bannan & lee are a good partnership but perhaps we could leave them out and try abdi &butterfield coz they may (or not) do better .

Technically it's not quite 14 points from 8 games. Wasn't working against Brentford and we won the game after Fletcher went off. 

Anyway, not title winning form as holmowl claimed.

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

It depends on who else is in the midfield tho. At Burnley Jones was playing alongside Barton, who was the midfield strength that I think we are lacking.  How many games in their promotion season did Jones play with Barton?

32 with Barton in 15/16

13/14 played in a midfield two with Dean Marney.

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Impossible for us to know for many reasons, but do we think Hutch would have replaced Jones in the promotion-winning Burnley twice, Derby and Wolves?

*here's a staggering one....he was subbed just four times in that promotion side. Dyche sat him on the bench for 55 minutes in an entire season!!!!

Really, in our heart of hearts, do we honestly think Sam is a better CM than Jones? Do we think Dyche would or should have played Sam ahead of Jones had he been on Burnley's books?

When Jones played against us I can't even remember him being on the field. I remember Barton, Vokes, Gray...but not Jones (ok scored a free-kick). 

I can see why we under-rate Jones, and we do. And I can see why we rate Hutch, but we over-rate him.

god I hate you and your bloody stats ....you may well blow others opinions out the water but mine that hutch is a better player than jones stands 

• Haha 1

To alter Sunday's side IN ANY WAY would, IMO, be sacreligious. 11 players (no, 12 if palmer is included as sub) played football as good as any I have seen this last 3 months, and what with Holidays, that includes Champions League football! To even consider them as anything other than a team is outrageous

Hutchinson invariably puts in a shift but, and it is a big but, is a yellow card waiting to happen.

Loovens looks, on his later performances,to have lost he essential yard of pace

FF is, well, FF. He's like the little girl with the little curl - when he's good, he's good, but when he's bad.....

It would not be a bad bench alongside Westie, Rhodes and Butterfield, but to not keep faith with yesterday's line-up would be silly..      

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

32 with Barton in 15/16

13/14 played in a midfield two with Dean Marney.

So I wonder if Burnley would still have been able to get promoted if Jones was playing with someone less powerful in midfield.

We'll have to wait and see what Carlos decides to do and how it effects our team, for better or worse. 

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

To alter Sunday's side IN ANY WAY would, IMO, be sacreligious. 11 players (no, 12 if palmer is included as sub) played football as good as any I have seen this last 3 months, and what with Holidays, that includes Champions League football! To even consider them as anything other than a team is outrageous

Hutchinson invariably puts in a shift but, and it is a big but, is a yellow card waiting to happen.

FF is, well, FF. He's like the little girl with the little curl - when he's good, he's good, but when he's bad.....

It would not be a bad bench alongside Westie, Rhodes and Butterfield, but to not keep faith with yesterday's line-up would be silly..      

3 MONTHS !!!!!!!!...... I thought it was one of our best performances for years the passing and movement was summat I haven't seen  for a long long time .

Edited by torryowl

I think Hutch is a better player, but Jones a better team player.

I think we need better than both, but until that time, I'd go with Jones because it just seems to work better.

Mind you, Hutch has previous - when he partnered Lees at the back, Hutch came off the pitch most works as the best player, whereas Lees, as well as the team as a whole were markedly off key. Perhaps it's just a discipline thing.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

3 MONTHS !!!!!!!!...... I thought it was one of our best performances for years the passing and movement was summat I haven't for a long long time .

For us, it was without doubt our best performance in years, i agree. I was simply taking in what I have seen recently.

2 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

For us, it was without doubt our best performance in years, i agree. I was simply taking in what I have seen recently.

good man ...was like watching mccalliog & Eustace taking them apart at eland road in the cup all those years ago .

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Doris is over-rated imo.

Bert is quality on the other hand. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Bert was out of contract and left the club prior to the window closing, he's now at Norwich. Upset wilder a couple of weeks ago apparently.:manager:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Absolutely this.

BTW I thought Butterfield did an excellent job when he came on.

Guest Copthorneowl
53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In my heart of hearts Sam is much better than Jones and stats don’t really mean anything concrete when you’re talking about a team of 11 the results you quote holmowl might have been better with or without Joe Bloggs it’s a argument based on facts that don’t exist cos we’ll never know.

i do know Hutch is better on the ball, a better distributor confident enough to join colleagues north of the half way line etc. etc., but he has some negatives like his recklessness . Do you think Jones would have pressed forward to close a Norwich midfielder 30 yards away from him and in Norwich’s half to block a pass which rebounded to Wallace and then from 40 yards was back of the net. Not in a million...

Its as I said earlier out of site out of mind for a few games. Typical Wednesdayites 20 minute memory. He’s genuine Prem class with Sunday league fitness issues.

Edited by Copthorneowl