SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

2 hours ago, timrud said:

Hirst was already wanting to leave so that's why he will of done it I expect

There might not be anything in this, but I've heard that Thornily is off at end of season (or maybe in Jan if someone stumps up a fee). Similar situation to Hirst, he's been offered a contract which he's turned down, so club won't be sending him out on loan again.

As I said, might not be owt in it but time will tell.

20 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Confirmation now on the OS that Jordan Thorniley is back at S6

Accrington had a strong start to the season and Jordan, used as a CB with our U23s, quickly established himself as their first choice left back

Their manager would rotate for cup games which led to greater competition for places but injury seemed to cost him his place in the side

So we have a comparison here ...

League (with Jordan)            P14      W8       D2        L4            =    1.86pts per game

(without Jordan)          P10      W4       D2        L4            =    1.4pts per game

plus cup apps              P3                   D2        L1           

He also picked up five yellow cards but avoided a suspension

All in all - not bad

Good enough to break into the 1st team squad?  Wouldn't have thought so tbf

If hes a left back i can guarantee he will be better than Fox and Pudil. In fact my aunt Gertrude is better

14 hours ago, Chilli said:

There might not be anything in this, but I've heard that Thornily is off at end of season (or maybe in Jan if someone stumps up a fee). Similar situation to Hirst, he's been offered a contract which he's turned down, so club won't be sending him out on loan again.

i'd be surprised if anyone would stump up a fee for him and  unless he's got another club lined up that he'd turn down a new contract offer .

16 hours ago, Chilli said:

Hmm

I could see this applying to Sean Clare ...

Gillingham are keen to take him back, and Wednesday might reasonably insist he signs a new deal before agreeing to extend his loan or, alternatively, receive a suitable bid to part with him permanently

Jordan Thorniley? Dunno, unless he's been offered the minimum deal that would ensure we're compensated if he were to move on after his current deal expired

I think he'd need to clock up more than 17apps for Accrington before his agent could start calling the shots

1 minute ago, waddle23 said:

Sean Clare has so much potential. He's quick, big, versatile and got some reight goals in him.

We'd be daft to cash in. Id be amazed after current performances if he doesn't get some game time today.

Exactly what we need at the moment.

I think he’s cup tied?

19 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Hirst's might be viewed as less of a betrayal

They were team mates with England U20 before Brooks decided he was Welsh

Think Thornley knows Brooks from Warrington where they are both from. However therein lies the point - if he is pals with him send him a text, ring him up, don’t show the whole world. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, waddle23 said:

Sean Clare has so much potential. He's quick, big, versatile and got some reight goals in him.

We'd be daft to cash in. Id be amazed after current performances if he doesn't get some game time today.

Exactly what we need at the moment.

Remember what happened with Ben Marshall though

Similar age, he had a couple of low-key loan spells and then caught the eye playing half a season in League 1 (with us)

Refused to sign an extension with Stoke - because he wasn't getting a sniff there - so they refused to loan him out again and triggered an auction instead

17 hours ago, Chilli said:

If there might not be anything in this, why post it? Just another unsubstantiated post that is basically bashing the club at a time when we really need to pull together!

Clare should be in the 18 for the rest of this season, he's very quick and can do the box to box job, and while Bannan is out the current lot look like they've got lead boots on. If the rumours of Thorniley are true then fair enough, he's done reasonably well at Accrington but not nearly enough to be in the reckoning here, if they aren't true then either  send him back to Accy or a League One side. Would like to see Dawson loaned out for the rest of the season but now we've sent Kean out and Westwood being injured I can't see it happening.

51 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If there might not be anything in this, why post it? Just another unsubstantiated post that is basically bashing the club at a time when we really need to pull together!

Fair point; I'm only sharing what I've heard from a reliable source. My mate has shared some snippets before, some of which have happened but also some which havent, hence me putting that there might not be anything in it. It certainly wasn't meant as a negative, club-bashing post so I'm sorry if it came across that way.

5 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Hmm

I could see this applying to Sean Clare ...

Gillingham are keen to take him back, and Wednesday might reasonably insist he signs a new deal before agreeing to extend his loan or, alternatively, receive a suitable bid to part with him permanently

Jordan Thorniley? Dunno, unless he's been offered the minimum deal that would ensure we're compensated if he were to move on after his current deal expired

I think he'd need to clock up more than 17apps for Accrington before his agent could start calling the shots

I posted something along these lines a couple of weeks ago, based on reliable info I'd been given. If players who've had relatively successful loan spells at league clubs are only being offered one-year extensions at "development squad" pay rates, it doesn't exactly suggest that the club rates them very highly. And if we don't rate them, why not cash in on them, rather than "punish" them by hampering their development? Why wouldn't they look to move to a club that must rate them,  and would pay at least twice what we are offering?

Absolute no-brainer. Every one of us would do the same.

As Ethel points out, the Thorniley situation could also apply to Clare.

(I hear that Gillingham have already made one bid to sign him permanently, and that there are also a few Championship clubs keen on nicking him off us).

My only hope is that a new manager and CEO will rapidly address the club's hopelessly myopic and bullying approach to the development of our young players. (Btw, I'm sure that Penney -- who is younger than Thorniley and Clare -- has just signed a one-year extension because, if he didn't, he wouldn't get the loan he desperately needs to progress his career.)