SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

2 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

Has Stobbs been recalled? Saw his name in the lineup for the last U23's match against Huddersfield but can't see anything online about it. Or has he got a brother thats just broken through to the U23's?

Permanent recall? Or the same type of youth loan that enabled Matt Penney to 'commute' between our U23s and Bradford towards the end of last season

I guess we'll have to wait and see, RockieOwl

Either way, his time at Port Vale hasn't gone according to plan - I'm sure his situation will be reviewed in January

34 minutes ago, stowyowl said:

I can't get the highlights clip to load but I live near Guiseley and my friend who goes home and away to watch them thought it was a harsh penalty (although was obviously delighted by it).

The clip is still accessible, but I think you might need to 'log on' to watch stuff on the BBC

It's simple enough - as long as you have a TV licence   :ph34r:

As I said above, the incident is slightly off camera so it's hard to call

... but the ref showed a yellow card, so he must've been convinced

Fulham  1-1  Derby         (att: 18,192)

As predicted :rolleyes: Sam Winnall returned to the bench and his former position in the pecking order (ie somewhere behind Nugent, Vydra & Martin)

This time though, having watched his side claw themselves back to 1-1, Rowett decided it was best to keep the point rather than chase all three

So Sam stayed put

Walsall  0-1  Gillingham           (att: 4,917)

Gills' manager (now given the job until the end of the season) made a point this week of praising Sean Clare for his versatility, so it was no suprise to see him given another full 90mins in order to prove him right

He started off in CM, moved to left wing-back to help protect his side's lead and then moved over to the right when they were reduced to ten men for the last 20mins

This was their third away win on the bounce, and the best by far according to their boss, and lifts them clear of the drop zone

Accrington  1-1  Newport          (att: 1,371)

Including the two games in the FA Cup, this would have been four draws on the bounce for Jordan Thorniley

Except when he was subbed off after 79mins Accy were trailing

Might be considered an inspired substitution though, as it was his replacement who levelled the scores two minutes from time

They'll view this one as two points dropped, but the result keeps Accy in the top three

Port Vale also grabbed a late goal, from the spot, to beat Barnet 1-0 and ease themselves towards mid-table respectability

But you'll never guess, they did it without Jack Stobbs (again)

After turning out in midweek for our U23s I thought maybe he'd stayed at home and travelled with our youngsters to Hull for the 5pm ko

But I've seen nothing to suggest he played any part in our 1-0 win there either

So maybe he spent a nice easy Sat'dy sat around with his feet up?

• Thanks 2

The midweek batch of loan reports never really materialized

For starters, Sam Winnall is carrying an ankle injury that ruled him out of Derby's 2-0 win over QPR (although he'd probably have been on the bench anyway)

Meanwhile, in League1 ...

Blackpool  1-1  Gillingham            (att: 2,650)

Sean Clare played his part in what seems like a real smash 'n grab performance - starting the match on the right and finishing it on the left

The stats suggest Chernobyl-on-Sea were well worth their lead after a one-sided first half and although Gillingham fared better after the break, their 90min equalizer was their first shot on target

Accrington  1-0  Wycombe         (att: 1,119)

A second half goal for Accy keeps them in third in League2

Jordan Thorniley watched this one from the bench

He's one booking short of a suspension but I doubt that was the reason somehow - that's like giving him a ban before he picks up his 5th card  :wacko:

Port Vale's recent recovery was brought abruptly to a halt with a 4-0 thrashing at home to Mansfield

Hardly needs saying that Jack Stobbs played no part - and until he does, they'll get no sympathy from me  :angry:

Touch of the old deja vus on this round of games ...

Sean Clare plays the whole match for Gillingham

Jordan Thorniley is an unused sub for Accrington

Sam Winnall misses Derby's victory at Boro (presumably still injured), and

Jack Stobbs misses Port Vale's defeat at Lincoln (presumably... ?)

Gillingham  0-0  Oldham      (att: 4,364)

A closely fought and entertaining game by all accounts, although the point hardly benefits either side - where have I heard that before

Poor home results are stopping Sean's side from pulling away from the drop zone, but their mood seems positive enough

Exeter  2-0  Accrington        (att: 3,597)

Accy remain 3rd in League2 despite this, their first defeat in seven, Exeter are a place below them and breathing down their necks 

Derby  1-0  Burton      (att: 26,761)

I can well imagine how this game went

Sam Winnall returned to action, replacing Tom Lawrence as the second of three 2nd half subs (73mins)

His side eventually broke the deadlock with a goal 9mins from time

Derby Telegraph rated Sam's contribution at 6/10 adding 'good to see him fit and able again, another forward option'

Elsewhere, it was all about the FA Cup again ...

Gillingham  1-1  Carlisle       (att: 3,178)

Sean Clare started this one in a more familiar central midfield role, but despite taking an early lead his side struggled against their League2 visitors

Carlisle equalized from the spot and Sean picked up a booking before being subbed off at half time - presumably for tactical reasons

With Accrington knocked out in the 1st round Jordan Thorniley was probably given the chance to do a bit of Christmas shopping

Jack Stobbs too (maybe) although Port Vale played and must also face a replay after visitors Yeovil made it 1-1 in the last minute

Seriously though, I think Jack's time there is as good as over already - so I'm tempted to drop Vale's progress from these regular updates

... unless something wonderful happens - like he starts getting selected and goes on to take League2 by storm

Our U23s play at Crewe tomorrow, and somehow I think there's more chance of him playing in that one

• Thanks 1

In answer to my own prediction ...

Yes, Jack Stobbs starts for our U23s and actually gave us a 4th minute lead

... but as Crewe are a bona fide bogey team for us at youth and junior level, it's hardly surprising they lead 2-1 at the break thanks to an injury time goal

With most of those pesky U23 sides eliminated at the group stages, the 2nd round of the Checkatrade Trophy looked more like a bunch of regular league fixtures

Except crowd figures were relatively poor, so it's fair to say cup fever is still some way off, but the prospect of a day out at Wembley meant some coaches were less inclined to rotate their squads

Anyhoo ...

Gillingham  1-2  Oxford Utd         (att; 1,224)

Sean Clare was playing right wing-back again for this one, and despite his side taking an early lead from the spot they were being held 1-1 at half time

They were edging a tight encounter when he was subbed off on 77mins, but rather than grab a late winner they conceded in the 2nd minute of injury time

Heigh-ho

They were probably saving themselves for that trip to Carlisle

Lincoln  3-2  Accrington         (att: 3,026)

A return to action for Jordan Thorniley was perhaps marred when he picked up his 5th booking of the season midway through the first half

His side led twice but were trailing 3-2 when he was replaced on 65mins - probably another tactical move, but he continued to give free kicks away so maybe there were concerns he was close to being shown a red

Either way, the stats suggest Lincoln were good value for their win and that's how it finished

Port Vale were also in action, home to Shrewsbury, but we aren't bothered about them anymore are we?

Nah ...

They got beat anyway

2-1

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Barnsley  0-3  Derby             (att: 13,973)

This looks like a routine away win for a team establishing themselves as play-off contenders vs a side struggling to steer clear of the drop zone

However reports suggest it was another example of Richard 'Wee Pipe' Turpin at his best, and the stats would back up those opinions

Of course, there are those who'd argue any team who scores with their first shot on target, adds a second on the stroke of half time and a third on the break and totally against the run of play deserve the points - and that's what happened

I do think it was good of Rowett to give Sam Winnall the last 10mins to soak up all that love and appreciation Dingle fans vent whenever one of their favourite sons returns 'home'

To think, with a bit more composure he might have added a fourth  :biggrin:

Plymouth  2-1  Gillingham           (att: 11,155)

Another example of match stats being at odds with the final score

Plymouth started this one bottom of League1, whereas Gillingham have one of the best recent away records in the division

So naturally, Plymouth score first and despite all their pressure Gillingham have to wait until the 84th minute for a 'well-deserved' equalizer

... only to lose the game in the last minute

Sean Clare played the whole match from either CM or wide right, he almost grabbed a second equalizer in injury time too

Chesterfield  2-1  Barnet            (att: 5,272)

Great that Cam Dawson should start his emergency loan spell with a victory, although Chezzy were first to concede

This time the stats suggest the best team won, although the equalizer was an OG and the winner didn't arrive until the 93rd minute

It was Rock Bottom vs 2nd Bottom at the start but the result moves the home side up to 4th Bottom and leaves the visitors Rock Bottom

Accrington's match was called off due to the weather, so Jordan Thorniley was probably out spending again

22 hours ago, scram said:

Great that Dawson is getting league football - so difficult to get good loans for young keepers - even Chelsea had to send a keeper to league 2 last season

Chelsea have 10 pro goalkeepers according to wiki .....3 in the squad , 2 who I take it must play for the dev squad  4 out on loan and one who's the longest serving player at the club and yet as never played for them .....that's an amazing number .

Sam Winnall was an unused sub for Derby's 2-0 win at home to Villa, so moving on .....

Gillingham  4-1  Bristol Rovers      (att: 4,227)

With no wins in a month, Gillingham were gradually getting sucked back into trouble - thanks largely to their rotten home form 

(who have they drawn in the cup again?)

... just the one league win, and you'd need to go back to mid-September for that

So I imagine it was shocks all round as they raced to a 4-0 lead before 10mins of the 2nd half had been played

Sean Clare started, in what looks like a midfield role this time, and was subbed off on 69mins - maybe with that midweek trip up to Carlisle in mind - either way, he'd have been wrapped up warm when Rovers grab their consolation goal in injury time

The win moves his side up to 19th, but it's really tight down there

Lincoln  2-0  Accrington       (att: 7,696)

Back to the scene of Jordan Thorniley's last outing, when Lincoln dumped his side out of the Checkatrade Trophy

But this was his first league start for a month and you'd need to go back even further for his last win

Things hardly seemed like improving either, when his side conceded a penalty and went down to ten men in first half injury time

He too was subbed off (63mins) with his side 2-0 down and heading for a defeat that sees them drop to 5th in the table

Wycombe  1-0  Chesterfield         (att: 4,522)

And for Cam Dawson it was back to the scene of his first league appearance (a 2-1 home win for Wycombe v Grimsby)

The stats suggest Chezzie were under the cosh for most of this match

... and as Wycombe were credited with six shots on target it's safe to assume Cam saved five of 'em  :dry:

As it was, that 54th minute goal, together with Barnet's win over Morecambe, dumps his side back into the bottom two

• Like 1