SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

1 hour ago, Owlsman82 said:

Thanks for doing these, it’s great to see how the young lads are doing. I rate clare the most out of these so it’s good to see he’s playing every game there. Quite an athletic player isn’t he so interesting to see there trying him at wing back, although I definitely saw him as more of a number 10 or box to box midfielder.

I think it has more to do with the quality of his crosses than anything else (could be wrong though :ph34r:)

He's also taken his fair share of corners and free kicks

On 22/10/2017 at 08:50, Ethel The Tree said:

Gillingham  1-2  Northampton       (att: 4,640)

I was all ready to bill this one as Sean Clare v Lewis McGugan - except Lewis didn't make the matchday squad!

Sean did, though. At right wing-back again in an unchanged line-up

Gills played well enough by all accounts but two long-range strikes saw the visitors win their first game in nine

The result also sees Sean's side drop below them in the table to third bottom

Crewe  0-2  Accrington      (att: 3,849)

Two early goals (and a late sending-off for the home side) led to a relatively comfortable win and another 3pts that ease Accy back into the top three

Jordan Thorniley played the whole game again and seems to be establishing himself quite nicely there

Exeter  0-1  Port Vale      (att: 4,258)

No, Jack Stobbs didn't get a game - but he WAS on the bench

So that's progress, in't it?

Maybe those eye-catching performances for the reserves are finally starting to pay off?

This was Vale's third straight win and continues their slow but steady climb towards mid-table

Mcgugan not making the squad doesn't need an exclamation mark.

Rotherham  1-3  Gillingham            (att: 7,865)

I was all ready to bill this one as Sean Clare v Richard Wood, Joe Mattock, Darren Potter & Richard O'Donnell, except ROD was an unused sub :biggrin:

As it happened, Sean played the whole 90mins in his newly adopted RB/wing back role, Wood got booked and Mattock went one better by being shown the red card on 85mins - just prior to Gillingham wrapping it up with a third goal

Can't escape the fact that this was a big result for them, winning away at the side sitting 5th in the table before kick-off - but other results keep them rooted in the bottom four, for now

Accrington  4-1  Barnet            (att: 1,485)

An eventful afternoon for Jordan Thorniley too

He also played the whole game and gave away a 1st half penalty (which Barnet missed) before claiming an assist for his side's second goal

The win moves Accy up to 2nd in the table - surely it's only a matter of time before the town's residents find out and actually turn out to watch 'em

Port Vale  0-3  Swindon           (att: 5,071)

In response Swindon's 2nd goal (72mins) Vale's manager did the unthinkable and brought Jack Stobbs off the bench  :ghoulguy:

There's no doubt Jack got involved, but any hopes of him triggering a miracle comeback were dashed by Swindon's third 5mins before the end

Still, it's a start, in't it?

Norwich  1-2  Derby      (att: 26,048)

Derby were leading since the stroke of half time, then Norwich equalized on 71mins

Rowett waited another 5mins before sending Sam Winnall on to go and win it again

... which, of course, he did   :columbo:

The result moves them up to 7th, which incidentally, is about where we ought to bloody-well be  ...  if there was a God !!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Rotherham  1-3  Gillingham            (att: 7,865)

I was all ready to bill this one as Sean Clare v Richard Wood, Joe Mattock, Darren Potter & Richard O'Donnell, except ROD was an unused sub :biggrin:

As it happened, Sean played the whole 90mins in his newly adopted RB/wing back role, Wood got booked and Mattock went one better by being shown the red card on 85mins - just prior to Gillingham wrapping it up with a third goal

Can't escape the fact that this was a big result for them, winning away at the side sitting 5th in the table before kick-off - but other results keep them rooted in the bottom four, for now

Accrington  4-1  Barnet            (att: 1,485)

An eventful afternoon for Jordan Thorniley too

He also played the whole game and gave away a 1st half penalty (which Barnet missed) before claiming an assist for his side's second goal

The win moves Accy up to 2nd in the table - surely it's only a matter of time before the town's residents find out and actually turn out to watch 'em

Port Vale  0-3  Swindon           (att: 5,071)

In response Swindon's 2nd goal (72mins) Vale's manager did the unthinkable and brought Jack Stobbs off the bench  :ghoulguy:

There's no doubt Jack got involved, but any hopes of him triggering a miracle comeback were dashed by Swindon's third 5mins before the end

Still, it's a start, in't it?

Norwich  1-2  Derby      (att: 26,048)

Derby were leading since the stroke of half time, then Norwich equalized on 71mins

Rowett waited another 5mins before sending Sam Winnall on to go and win it again

... which, of course, he did   :columbo:

The result moves them up to 7th, which incidentally, is about where we ought to bloody-well be  ...  if there was a God !!

I just cannot understand that move.

We force out a goal scorer to bring in a midfielder who cannot get a full game.

Way to go kickaball.

25 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I just cannot understand that move.

We force out a goal scorer to bring in a midfielder who cannot get a full game.

Way to go kickaball.

Who knows, there'll be all kinds of stuff going on we don't know about

Maybe Winnall has an abrasive personality - he sure seemed to rub Nando up the wrong way !

If you've got 15-plus minutes to win a game I'd sooner bring Winnall off the bench than Rhodes, or Joao (and I haven't given up on him yet)

But maybe Sam doesn't WANT to be on the bench?

As a loanee, he might have to lump it - dunno

Scoring goals for Derby won't do his prospects (or his valuation) any harm - just doesn't do us much good

As for Butterfield?

Lee's return to fitness has probably restricted his opportunities

But I'd hate to see Kieran or Bannan get crocked just to see how good, bad or indifferent he might be in the long term

L**ds  1-2  Derby      (att: 28,565)

So Sam Winnall scores both of Derby's 2nd half goals, that's four in total by my reckoning - from 7 apps (3 starts)

The result maintains Derby's current run - four straight wins - and continues L**ds wobble, five league defeats from the their last six games

The stats suggest a fairly even contest and the clip shows good chances for both sides

The home manager complains about a 'clear' penalty not awarded for his side and the deciding penalty 'wrongly' awarded to their opponents

.......... oh, tell us about that (at least they didn't have to play 86+mins with ten men) ...........  while Derby's boss remains tactful, but then he can when he's leaving with the points

I'm happy that Sam's scoring goals and potentially increasing his value

I'm happy that L**ds struggles show no signs of ending

I'll be even happier once we've caught both of 'em up, and get above them in the table

But it highlights just how big an influence referees have in deciding results

http://www.skysports.com/football/leeds-vs-derby/374792

FA Cup 1st round 'proper'

With games spread out over the whole weekend, I was tempted to wait until the dust had settled ... but sod it!

There was even a chance Wednesday might want to avoid our players becoming cup-tied - especially as the loan agreements for two of them expire in January

Not so, apparently ...

Port Vale  2-0  Oxford Utd         (att: 3,443)

Jack Stobbs was on reserve duty again in midweek - this time scoring the first himself and providing assists for the other two in his side's 3-1 win at York

His manager was watching (again) so perhaps a place in Friday night's starting XI wasn't out of the question?

Not quite, although he did keep his place on the bench - right up until the 93rd minute - the ref blew the final whistle in the 94th   :ph34r:

Gillingham  2-1  Leyton Orient         (att: 3,659)

This one had banana skin written all over it

Given Gillingham's wretched home form (one league win all season) and the visitors desperate to prove they don't 'belong' in the National League ...

Well it was a hard-fought contest by all accounts, Sean Clare played the whole game in his now customary RB/wing back role and also picked up a booking, and the result seems like a fair reflection on the game

... and the league action

Derby  2-4  Reading          (att: 25,928)

Hardly surprising that Sam Winnall should keep his place in the side after his recent Gerd Muller impersonations

However, he was subbed off in the 64th minute with his side trailing 3-0 and only another yellow card to show for his efforts

I suppose this means the bottom will have dropped out of his transfer valuation and he'll find himself back on the bench next time out

• Thanks 1

Finally, this afternoon's offering ...

Guiseley  0-0  Accrington        (att: 1,611)

Jordan Thorniley played the whole game and even managed to get on the end of a few corners - he's clearly become a regular there, so it's about time he weighed in with the odd goal

However, the match stats suggest the National League side had the better of things, so a second shot at cup glory under the bright lights of Accrington is probably the least they deserve

The replay will hardly pass as a money-spinner though, if Accy's regular attendance figures are anything to go by

Unless a boatload of L**ds fans are planning to make the journey over - desperate for the chance to back a winning side   :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Guest Copthorneowl

Probably mentioned this before ETT but a guy in a delicatessen  near me speaks very well of Sean Clare saying that the fans really rate him.  He's hoping we don't call him back in January.

Quite a big Gills fan.

Thanks for a good read.

Edited by Copthorneowl

Crazy night in the Checkatrade Trophy

Port Vale  4-2  Crewe        (att: 1,322)

Vale's manager made seven changes from last weekend' s FA Cup tie, and that gave Jack Stobbs a rare start in this one

How rare? Well his first start was v Crewe in the league back in August, this was his second

He played the whole game too (another first) and the result sees his side progress to the knockout stages as group winners

Just a word on the crowd - I know the competition hasn't exactly caught the public's imagination yet, and I know Crewe were already knocked out, but isn't this fixture classed as a local derby?

Well, congratulaions/commiserations to the 75 fans who made the 14mile journey from Crewe

As for the others ...

Accrington's boss made eight changes from their FA Cup tie at Guiseley and Jordan Thorniley found himself 'rotated' for the trip to Wigan

Wigan probably expected to progress at Accy's expense but they got hammered 4-0 instead (att: 1,473)

Deep breath for this one ...

Gillingham also rang the changes - nine from the weekend, and Sean Clare also missed out on the shenanigans as they unfolded here

Reading U23 were the visitors and the home side soon found themselves 3-0 up, 4-1 at half time

But midway through the 2nd half Reading's kids got it back to 4-4 before Gills missed a penalty

Costly? Not really

They restored their lead in quick time 6-4, then 6-5 and it finally finished 7-5 meaning Gillingham also progress as group winners  (att; 1,039)

I'd have thought Sean's place in their defence is safe for the next league game

Not sure about Jordan's though - Accy are clearly flying - he could have his worked cut out to get back in the team

17 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Crazy night in the Checkatrade Trophy

Port Vale  4-2  Crewe        (att: 1,322)

Vale's manager made seven changes from last weekend' s FA Cup tie, and that gave Jack Stobbs a rare start in this one

How rare? Well his first start was v Crewe in the league back in August, this was his second

He played the whole game too (another first) and the result sees his side progress to the knockout stages as group winners

Just a word on the crowd - I know the competition hasn't exactly caught the public's imagination yet, and I know Crewe were already knocked out, but isn't this fixture classed as a local derby?

Well, congratulaions/commiserations to the 75 fans who made the 14mile journey from Crewe

As for the others ...

Accrington's boss made eight changes from their FA Cup tie at Guiseley and Jordan Thorniley found himself 'rotated' for the trip to Wigan

Wigan probably expected to progress at Accy's expense but they got hammered 4-0 instead (att: 1,473)

Deep breath for this one ...

Gillingham also rang the changes - nine from the weekend, and Sean Clare also missed out on the shenanigans as they unfolded here

Reading U23 were the visitors and the home side soon found themselves 3-0 up, 4-1 at half time

But midway through the 2nd half Reading's kids got it back to 4-4 before Gills missed a penalty

Costly? Not really

They restored their lead in quick time 6-4, then 6-5 and it finally finished 7-5 meaning Gillingham also progress as group winners  (att; 1,039)

I'd have thought Sean's place in their defence is safe for the next league game

Not sure about Jordan's though - Accy are clearly flying - he could have his worked cut out to get back in the team

I've just been to see Newport v Cheltenham....no loan players on view but the attendance was 540... including apparently 39 from Cheltenham...but no mention of 1 from Sheffield!...traffic wasn't as bad as getting away from Hillsborough though!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

I've just been to see Newport v Cheltenham....no loan players on view but the attendance was 540... including apparently 39 from Cheltenham...but no mention of 1 from Sheffield!...traffic wasn't as bad as getting away from Hillsborough though!

A quick count up and last night's seventeen ties produced 68 goals, keep that up and the crowds will surely come flocking in for the knockout stages  :laugh:

... of course, that ratio is helped by having twelve goals in one game!

Interesting in view of past comments relating to the 'level' of U23 football ...

Of the 16 clubs invited to enter, only two (Swansea & West Ham) are definitely through at the moment

ManC, Leicester, Stoke & Chelsea might join them, but it's not clear cut

Some of the other sides have really struggled, despite the wages differential (?) and the fact these lower league teams have tended to rotate their squads

Gillingham  1-1  Bury        (att: 4,364)

I was all ready to bill this one as Sean Clare v Chris Maguire... but Chris was an unused sub  :biggrin:

It might even have qualified as a bona fide (dare I say this?) 'relegation six-pointer', especially as Bury arrived in Kent second bottom of League1 with the Gills just 2pts and one place above them

But in the end, for me at least, it was all about Ryan Lowe's first league game as Bury's caretaker manager

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing him well - he made a fair few friends during his brief spell at S6 - but let's not digress too much ...

This is 'Loan Watch' which means it's Sean you folks want to read about

So what can i say - he was recalled after missing the midweek cup tie and almost scored after 29 seconds, obviously taken a leaf out of Adam Reach's book, and also hit a couple more goal bound efforts that kept the visiting keeper busy

But it was Bury who led at half time and would have taken all three points back to Lankysheer but for an 85th minute equalizer - which, according to the match stats, was the least Sean's side deserved

There wasn't the same level of excitement in League2 however ...

Port Vale managed a 1-1 at Newport on Friday night - and did so without Jack Stobbs, who didn't make the bench

Perhaps they're saving him for the knockout stages of the Checkatrade Trophy  :ph34r: who knows, meanwhile ...

Cambridge  0-0  Accrington       (att: 4,402)

Jordan Thorniley was also recalled after missing the midweek cup action - he played the whole of this game and picked up another booking

How many is that? Dunno - I'd guess at least three, maybe four

Anyroad, he helped his side keep another clean sheet and the point means they remain second in the table and one point off top spot

• Like 1

FA Cup 1st round (proper) replay ...

Accrington  1-1  Guiseley           (att: 1,166)

Another eventful cup tie which saw the National League side reduced to 10 men on the stroke of half time, concede a goal 2mins into the second half, get level about 20mins later when the ref decided Jordan Thorniley's challenge was worthy of a penalty, then see out the rest of the game, extra time, the inevitable onslaught and a disallowed goal before progressing to the next round 4-3 on pens

So well done to them - their reward is a trip to Mansfield in Round 2

Jordan features plenty on the clip (No.12) he was also booked for that challenge (that makes it 4 yellow cards in total, I think) but it was slightly off camera, so ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41896042