SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

Carlisle  3-1  Gillingham     (att: 2,357)

Sean Clare's 5th and final cup game of the season was marked with a yellow card in the first half for diving, two blocked goal-bound efforts and being replaced on 81 minutes

Carlisle led 2-0 at half time, both scored by Hallam Hope

Gillingham scored early after the break but conceded again deep into injury time

So, Carlisle away then

Managed by an old pig, main goal threat coming from an ex-loanee who despite an impressive youth record seemed completely out of his depth in the Championship ...

Can't wait

12 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Carlisle  3-1  Gillingham     (att: 2,357)

Sean Clare's 5th and final cup game of the season was marked with a yellow card in the first half for diving, two blocked goal-bound efforts and being replaced on 81 minutes

Carlisle led 2-0 at half time, both scored by Hallam Hope

Gillingham scored early after the break but conceded again deep into injury time

So, Carlisle away then

Managed by an old pig, main goal threat coming from an ex-loanee who despite an impressive youth record seemed completely out of his depth in the Championship ...

Can't wait

Lets give GH a chance then.

Fleetwood  0-2  Gillingham             (att: 2,088)

Friday night fixture and the 18th league outing of the season for Sean Clare - 23rd appearance in total

He played the whole game, apparently back in CM, and helped his side pick up their 4th win away from home

The result moves them up to 17th in the table ahead of tomorrow's games and one point behind their hosts

So what happened at Carlisle then?

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Fleetwood  0-2  Gillingham             (att: 2,088)

Friday night fixture and the 18th league outing of the season for Sean Clare - 23rd appearance in total

He played the whole game, apparently back in CM, and helped his side pick up their 4th win away from home

The result moves them up to 17th in the table ahead of tomorrow's games and one point behind their hosts

So what happened at Carlisle then?

Just got back from this game and was very impressed with Clare

He actually started in the left hand 2 of a 4-2-3-1 and then switched to the right of the 3 for 10 mins before half time when an injury forced a substitution 

Start of 2nd half he was in the centre of the 3

he was very composed, always wanted the ball and had fantastic awareness that allowed him to demand the ball wherever he was because he knew and delivered instantly where the ball was going next before it got to him

Hes a lot taller that I expected, won his fair share in the air and because of his height he eats up the ground in no time, no necessarily sprinting but almost has a very fast cruising pace....left his foot in a couple of times and got clattered by their centre half defending a corner which resulted in the centre half having to go off

Highlight of his game was picking up the ball just over the half way line, driving towards goal, beating a couple of players and having a shot parried by the keeper, the rebound which was tapped in by the offside centre forward (Eaves, who was, as an aside, quite impressive)

in short, he's the polar opposite of Jones!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ian said:

Just got back from this game and was very impressed with Clare

He actually started in the left hand 2 of a 4-2-3-1 and then switched to the right of the 3 for 10 mins before half time when an injury forced a substitution 

Start of 2nd half he was in the centre of the 3

he was very composed, always wanted the ball and had fantastic awareness that allowed him to demand the ball wherever he was because he knew and delivered instantly where the ball was going next before it got to him

Hes a lot taller that I expected, won his fair share in the air and because of his height he eats up the ground in no time, no necessarily sprinting but almost has a very fast cruising pace....left his foot in a couple of times and got clattered by their centre half defending a corner which resulted in the centre half having to go off

Highlight of his game was picking up the ball just over the half way line, driving towards goal, beating a couple of players and having a shot parried by the keeper, the rebound which was tapped in by the offside centre forward (Eaves, who was, as an aside, quite impressive)

in short, he's the polar opposite of Jones!

if you had seen him tonight without any knowledge that he was our player would you think that's a player we should sign .

21 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if you had seen him tonight without any knowledge that he was our player would you think that's a player we should sign .

It's a good question and a hard one to answer because I was looking out for what he did and not sure if I'd have noticed If i wasnt specifically looking.....Eaves stood out the most but if you look at his career records it's pants

Its also one thing standing out against Fleetwood (who were clueless) and another needing to mix it against Villa, Derby etc

Edited by Ian

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's a good question and a hard one to answer because I was looking out for what he did and not sure if I'd have noticed If i wasnt specifically looking.....Eaves stood out the most but if you look at his career records it's pants

Its also one thing standing out against Fleetwood (who were clueless) and another needing to mix it against Villa, Derby etc

Good point

I remember Sean Dyche saying he wanted to see a player in minimum 6 situations before decided what they were really going to offer - minimum 6 matches and often many more

He gets it right nearly all the time too

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Thanks for the feedback

When I checked the starting line-ups one name that stood out for me was Devante Cole

Especially as the development of young players with international experience at youth level is a hot topic right now

I think there are comparisons to be drawn between the likes of Hallam Hope, Devante Cole and George Hirst

I suppose the main difference being Hope & Cole signed deals (appropriate to their age and experience?) before spending time out on loan

Both were eventually released by their parent clubs and now, aged around 22-23yrs, are playing regularly in Leagues 1 & 2

So, the question is ...

Do you think Cole's prospects will improve at Fleetwood, or has he found his level?

28 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Thanks for the feedback

When I checked the starting line-ups one name that stood out for me was Devante Cole

Especially as the development of young players with international experience at youth level is a hot topic right now

I think there are comparisons to be drawn between the likes of Hallam Hope, Devante Cole and George Hirst

I suppose the main difference being Hope & Cole signed deals (appropriate to their age and experience?) before spending time out on loan

Both were eventually released by their parent clubs and now, aged around 22-23yrs, are playing regularly in Leagues 1 & 2

So, the question is ...

Do you think Cole's prospects will improve at Fleetwood, or has he found his level?

Based on last night I'm not sure he's found his level yet.....probably needs to get a game for the Red Lion before he does!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

Based on last night I'm not sure he's found his level yet.....probably needs to get a game for the Red Lion before he does!

As good as that, eh?

You watch, he'll play out of his skin for the tv cameras v Leicester and trigger a bidding war amongst struggling Championship clubs  :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

As good as that, eh?

You watch, he'll play out of his skin for the tv cameras v Leicester and trigger a bidding war amongst struggling Championship clubs  :laugh:

To be fair to him Fleetwood were clueless.....Gillingham had a specific game plan which was to bang the ball up to Eaves and then pick up the pieces...Fleetwood didn't have a plan at all, just sort of hoped that they would score if they turned up so it may be more down to tactics (or lack of) than Cole himself

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

To be fair to him Fleetwood were clueless.....Gillingham had a specific game plan which was to bang the ball up to Eaves and then pick up the pieces...Fleetwood didn't have a plan at all, just sort of hoped that they would score if they turned up so it may be more down to tactics (or lack of) than Cole himself

I'm surprised really, I always thought Uwe Rosler was destined for better things (even when he took the job at L**ds)

But Fleetwood are on a slide just now, so ...

As for Cole

A quick glance in my crystal ball sees him signing for Brum on deadline day for a reported £6m and then scoring for them on his debut

... at Hillsborough on February 3rd   :ph34r:

Bit of catching up to do, as events that followed last weekend kind of overshadowed this stuff ...

Derby  3-0  Millwall           (att: 25,813)

Three goals in five 1st half minutes basically settled this as a contest and moved the hosts up to 3rd place, now 3pts below Cardiff

Sam Winnall came off the bench on 72mins and got involved but, I dunno ...

Does playing a bit-part in a winning side qualify as a successful loan spell for him?

He's made four starts in 11 appearances to date (out of a possible 18) and scored 4 goals

Before the last of those starts I thought 'so what, even if he doesn't come back at least his transfer value will increase'

But his last goal came at the end of October and to date he's clocked up less than 400mins of actual game time in total

He's well down the pecking order and his situation will hardly improve while ever Derby continue this run of form and results

It is a season-long loan though, so we'll just have to wait and see

... and that was pretty much it

Accrington lost 2-3 at home to Crawley, despite a spirited fightback from being 3-0 down after about 40mins

The result leaves them clinging on to the final play-off spot in League2, but Jordan Thorniley didn't make their matchday squad, so ...

As we all know, Cam Dawson was recalled from his brief spell at Chesterfield who, judging by their 5-1 tonking at Stevenage, seemed to have missed him big time

And I'm assuming Jack Stobbs' loan spell at Port Vale is over too, although official confirmation is thin on the ground

Hull  0-0  Derby        (att: 18,026)

Underlines what I said last time ...

Seems like one thing to give Sam Winnall the last 20mins when you're 3-0 up at home

And another when you're goalless away to a side struggling near the bottom

Rowett made three changes in an effort to seal the win that would move his side up to 2nd in the league, Sam wasn't one of 'em

Gillingham  1-1  Oxford         (att: 5,555)

Gillingham were no doubt hoping to build on their run of two straight league wins but poor home form looked like being the issue again when Oxford grabbed a 52nd minute lead against the run of play

They battled on though and, by all accounts, were well worth the point that just about keeps them clear of the relegation scrap

Sean Clare played the whole game and featured strongly, he also delivered the corner that led to his side's late equalizer

Jordan Thorniley was again missing from Accrington's matchday squad

Two late goals led to a 3-1 defeat at Carlisle - their fourth on the bounce - and sees them slip down to 9th in the table

Ipswich  1-2  Derby             (att: 17,267)

So Sam Winnall gets a rare and long-awaited start and responds by bagging both goals

Bit like buses, in't it?

There are bound to be mixed feelings about this from Wednesday fans, but this is why he's out on loan in the first place - to get games and score goals

What he hasn't gone out for is to kick his heels on the subs bench and get the occasional ten minute run-out

I suppose the irony is, given how our own season has panned out, he'd have seen more action had he stayed with us

But never mind, I reckon each goal he scores adds about £500k to his value, so far that means we'd get about £3.5m  :rolleyes:

So keep it up, Sam

Couple of crackers yesterday btw ... couple of misses too

http://www.skysports.com/football/ipswich-vs-derby/374914

Gillingham  2-2  Wimbledon         (att: 6,419)

Poor home form continues to be the issue here

Gills twice took the lead and were twice pegged back, although the stats suggest the visitors had the lion's share of the chances

Sean Clare played the whole game and also had a hand in both goals - the first his free kick from distance that was deflected past the keeper and the second one bundled over the line following another one of his corners

Again, I know there's much talk about bringing him back when this current deal expires in a couple of weeks, but I think he's better off where he is

He's as close to being an automatic choice as he could hope for and by all accounts his game is improving all the time

A definite success story ...

http://www.skysports.com/football/gillingham-vs-afc-wdon/375464

It was reported last Friday that it's a groin injury that's keeping Jordan Thorniley out

Didn't say how bad it was but I suppose it might affect the chances of his loan being extended beyond January

He started well, as did Accrington - and recent form even suggests they might have missed him - but their 3-0 win away at Grimsby moves them back into play-off contention so I suppose he could struggle to regain his place there even if his injury does clear up

Another wait and see-er

My Dad's a Gills fan.

He won their MOTM yesterday.

They love him there. He's a touch of quality they just don't have otherwise.

He's also been very versatile, played right back, wing back, wing, centre mid, and up front. 

They'll be wanting to extend his loan deal & I hope we let them.

... again, allowed a bit of time for all that dust to settle   :ph34r:

Loan Watch Returns! (part one) will be winding up shortly and I'll try to cobble together some kind of summary before (hopefully) there's a part two to take us through until May

In the meantime ...

Derby  1-1  Gruntbags            (att: 30,003)

Just when I thought Sam Winnall's transfer valuation was finally on the rise again, Rowett dumped him back on the bench

He was duly brought on with the scores level and given the last 20mins to 'go out there and win it'

But since their first half penalty was Derby's only shot on target, it's safe to say his presence didn't have the desired effect on this occasion

Charlton  1-2  Gillingham         (att: 11,979)

Gillingham maintained their impressive away form with another win that takes then up to 15th and puts some welcome daylight between themselves and those teams struggling to avoid the drop

They took a 2-0 lead into the break but needed to cling on towards the end after the hosts pulled a goal back in the 83rd minute

Sean Clare played the whole match, once again, but picked up a yellow card in the 94th minute

Dunno, presumably for asking the ref if he'd got his watch out of a Lucky Bag

Jordan Thorniley was still out through injury but it didn't matter in the end

Accrington were 1-0 up at home to Morecambe when the match was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch

It's official then, Jack Stobbs' loan spell at Port Vale is over

The summary is quite straight forward really

He got to play eight games in total -  2 starts plus 6 appearances as sub

In the league that was  1 +4 all defeats

In cup competitions it was  1 +2 all wins

All in all, a fairly disappointing outcome to what seemed like a good move back in August