A little perspective

2 hours ago, chazzyowl said:

This is not a Carlos thread, there are far too many of those currently on here. As a millennial supporter  (25 years young) it is fair to say I am of the generation of Owls that have endured pehaps one of the most fruitless periods of Wednesday's history without knowing the joys of seeing Sheridan slot home the Rumberlows winner, watching Hirsty and Waddle in full flow or even our brief flirt with Europe to ease the pain. As fans of this era it is clear to us that we are at the beginning of a new golden age of the owls. Wether you want Carlos out or not you've got to at least appreciate what has happened to the club in the last couple of years, successive Playoff appearances, talent on the field the likes of which has not been seen since the mid 90s and an owner who is determined to see us back where we belong. I don't think enough can be said about how far we've come and where we are heading in the long run. I can't say wether getting rid of Carlos would be the right or wrong decision but I feel it is important to appreciate what we have got and what has been accomplished. After all it wasn't that long ago we were mid table in league 1 and facing a potential winding up order.   

So all that being said what has been your lowest point as a Wednesday supporter? 

This is is my first thread so feel free to neg away!

As an older Owl I want to see a change of manager so you younger Owls could just see us in the top division as I believe our current squad is good enough to achieve promotion this season given the right formation and tactics

I really don't get these posts.

I'm not really a Carlos out man and I've been a Wednesday fan since the Charlton days but what has happened in the past is irrelevant.

We have spent good money on good players and we are playing like we have a bunch of loans and has beens at times.

We can't demand we win every game or that we get promoted but we should see more than what we are seeing.

Some managers would be furious if their players didn't perform to the best of their ability

On 26/08/2017 at 21:39, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Lowest point, Forest at home 0-3 in '91, when the third goal went in. We'd played the most attractive football I'd seen in 25y as a supporter, and we were relegated by Stuart Pearce's left foot. The year after he'd famously failed for his country. His timing was all wrong. 

As for this season, probably too east to right CC off, but the signs aren't great. Would love to see the slick passing and endless pressing that we saw in CC's first season. 

UTO

My lowest point too. 

I remember being in the kop just behind the goal. My Dad had his "lucky" blue and white boxers on... needless to say they have never been worn again.

So far this season its pretty much as we have been at the start of the previous two. We have a squad better than what we have had in 20 years and a coach who is trying.

Player form and other teams sitting deep against us are the reasons we aren't scoring freely like in his first season. This league is about stability, look at McCarthy at Wolves.

Give em time lads and lets gey behind then each game.

Let's be honest we all think we could do a better job but Carlos knows best.

On 26/08/2017 at 19:23, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The day we were relegated by Crystal Palace, complete with a shocking Jeffers non-header, a Leon Clarke broken toe, and a bunch of fans swinging punches on the pitch after the final whistle, I felt like giving up on football, to be honest.

Only blind loyalty dragged me back for the first game of the next season!

It was an awful day in our recent past.

How soon we forget, never thought things would change for the better so quickly.

We've had many many moments worse than the current situation. As most people on here we've watched more shiiite than this. Difference is everyone knew it was poor and we didn't have people telling us it was great.

Edited by Frazzlebeak

Great OP. I have a son just a bit younger than you who was born when we were actually top of the Premier League. We didn't stay there and he obviously doesn't remember those years, or the years before when we went to 2 cup finals in one season, won the League cup, beat the pigs at Wembley etc. He knows only a decline and is now excited like you by the club's rise back to the top flight (it will happen). The low point for me was the mid 70s, and I think we were worse then than anything under Turner or Irvin. It was similar though and Charlton then Wilkinson dragged us back up - both tough men,  and absolute legends. Had social media been around they would at times have had the same stick that Carlos has now, and both would have ignored it - which I hope Carlos can do!  

4 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Great OP. I have a son just a bit younger than you who was born when we were actually top of the Premier League. We didn't stay there and he obviously doesn't remember those years, or the years before when we went to 2 cup finals in one season, won the League cup, beat the pigs at Wembley etc. He knows only a decline and is now excited like you by the club's rise back to the top flight (it will happen). The low point for me was the mid 70s, and I think we were worse then than anything under Turner or Irvin. It was similar though and Charlton then Wilkinson dragged us back up - both tough men,  and absolute legends. Had social media been around they would at times have had the same stick that Carlos has now, and both would have ignored it - which I hope Carlos can do!  

Wilkinson did get some stick, plenty of it

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He did indeed particularly during his last 12 months or so. The team were very one dimensional and we'd lost a lot of characters and quality. Wllko later blamed the board and when he'd left for Leeds and Eustace took over, it was plain to see just how bad we were - Big Ron just about managed to keep us up six months later.

On 26/08/2017 at 21:27, chazzyowl said:

Fair play, I would argue that we are more financially stable than we were back then as we don't owe anyone any money. FFP may become an issue but the wages are a product of football's ridiculous economy. Things could be better yes (the grass is always greener) but my original point was that generally over the course of the past 17 years things have been worse and therefore there is nothing wrong with looking at our current situation with a little positivity. You've got to find joy from somewhere. 

That's not really true, is it? I'm sure we owe DC more money than we owed the Co-Op Bank before Milan bought us! We really have to hope to God he never gets fed up...

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He did I agree. My point was that both Charlton and Wilkinson had some stick, but with social media it's amplified and intrusive, so it never seemed as bad as the abuse that Carlos is getting from some quarters. I also think Wilkinson had such a tough personality that it may not have bothered him anyway. 

1 minute ago, Almat said:

That's not really true, is it? I'm sure we owe DC more money than we owed the Co-Op Bank before Milan bought us! We really have to hope to God he never gets fed up...

Whilst it's probably true DC's invested more than we owed the Co-Op surely it's his personal investment. I'd have thought the only way he has of getting this back would be to make the club profitable to run or sell it on at a top price. The club itself doesn't owe him. 

On 26 August 2017 at 19:07, chazzyowl said:

This is not a Carlos thread, there are far too many of those currently on here. As a millennial supporter  (25 years young) it is fair to say I am of the generation of Owls that have endured pehaps one of the most fruitless periods of Wednesday's history without knowing the joys of seeing Sheridan slot home the Rumberlows winner, watching Hirsty and Waddle in full flow or even our brief flirt with Europe to ease the pain. As fans of this era it is clear to us that we are at the beginning of a new golden age of the owls. Wether you want Carlos out or not you've got to at least appreciate what has happened to the club in the last couple of years, successive Playoff appearances, talent on the field the likes of which has not been seen since the mid 90s and an owner who is determined to see us back where we belong. I don't think enough can be said about how far we've come and where we are heading in the long run. I can't say wether getting rid of Carlos would be the right or wrong decision but I feel it is important to appreciate what we have got and what has been accomplished. After all it wasn't that long ago we were mid table in league 1 and facing a potential winding up order.   

So all that being said what has been your lowest point as a Wednesday supporter? 

This is is my first thread so feel free to neg away!

Carlos's new contract :ph34r:

10 hours ago, BD2OWL said:

Just for clarity. 

Most of of the players we have now wouldn't be fit to lace the boots of the 90-94 side. 

Just to clarify.

We got relegated in 90 to 91. 

I'm not questioning our golden years in at the start of the prem or the heartbreak of losing 2 cup finals to Arsenal but these players are the best we've seen in nearly 20 years.

On 8/27/2017 at 04:13, the monk said:

Successive play offs count for nothing if you don't win them , we really need to shake off the look where we were and be happy with glorious failure mindset 

Disagree, successive play offs count as an indicator the club is improving & moving in the right direction...also, nothing wrong in looking at where we were not so long ago, no point harping on about it I guess but again it's an indicator of the improvement we're making.

Low point football on the pitch wise was the old third division, first half of the seventies if you like...however, at the exact same time, being an Owls fan wise it was also the high point...best time of my life traveling all over England watching Wednesday, yes the football was mainly rubbish but being with fellow Wednesdayites, especially away from home was pretty magical back then, didn't have any real responsibilities so football was my life, saw some incredible things, some good/brilliant & some shameful but what an experience, will never forget it...that, backed up by Slade the best effin band the world as ever seen...awesome.