A little perspective

Talking about high & low points, again at the same time...traveling back from a night game at Wolves, we lost 1-0, Bannister missed two penalties & then the train broke down BUT...what a laugh we had with the Wolves fans that night & then on the train afterwards, some of the wit was incredible, worth the trip even though we lost & a broken train.

10 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

We've had many many moments worse than the current situation. As most people on here we've watched more shiiite than this. Difference is everyone knew it was poor and we didn't have people telling us it was great.

Are people really saying it's great?...I see people saying it's not as bad as some are making out & it's better than a few short years ago but great?

5 hours ago, Almat said:

That's not really true, is it? I'm sure we owe DC more money than we owed the Co-Op Bank before Milan bought us! We really have to hope to God he never gets fed up...

I think it is true...Chansiri will eat the loss or take the profit if & when he sells, as far as I know there are no loans on the club's books...I'm no accountant mind.

It's difficult to keep perspective when reading the numerous threads of discontent, you'd be forgiven for thinking ours was a club in crisis, recent history should serve to remind us that this is a million miles from a crisis.

So, perspective or better still balanced perspective, what is a fair and reasonable assessment of our current status?

Firstly, forget transfers, you can't lay those at the feet of CC, he makes suggestions but on the whole he accepts what he's given. Few and I mean few coaches would accept this to the degree CC does, certainly not those who's names people bandy around as prospective replacements. If even a fraction of the players we've signed were anything to do with CC he'd have gone already. 

Secondly, finishing 6th with a playoff final in his debut season earnt CC another crack and rightfully so. In season two we achieve 4th albeit against a backdrop of less attractive football, our opponents set up to frustrate us, we get drawn in to avoiding defeat and set up to counter our opponent first and foremost, occasionally this is necessary but most would agree it felt like it happened too often. 

Then and I'm getting annoyed before I even write this came the playoff semis. CC gets this 100% wrong in both games, hang on a sec while I go outside and scream!!!!!!!!! That feels slightly better, he misjudges this so badly that for some it can't be forgiven. We offered nothing and it still grates, we go for it and not only is it the last thing Huddersfield expect but it's the one thing that most will forgive, miss out 4-5 over two legs and we'll forgive that because we had a right crack at it!! 

That gets us to the moment that divides us. For some he has to be replaced before season three, for others like myself, I'd not be adverse to a new face but equally I'd back him for one more season because despite that playoff, his one genuine mistake, a balanced view is that he still deserves it. 

Nothing that's happened in the closed season relates to CC, but to some degree he's getting the blunt end of some of the negative sentiment around certain other issues that have rightly annoyed and frustrated us. 5 games in and we are actually (I think) better placed than at the same point in the previous two seasons, that sounds great but let's be honest it's the best of three very, very average starts!! 

I believe 10-12 games is where he should ultimately and fairly be judged, within a point of two of our previous averages he'll be safe, off the pace and who knows DC may not want to judge him then but may well have to. I'll give him a fair crack until that point. 

5 hours ago, NornOwl said:

Just to clarify.

We got relegated in 90 to 91. 

I'm not questioning our golden years in at the start of the prem or the heartbreak of losing 2 cup finals to Arsenal but these players are the best we've seen in nearly 20 years.

Just to clarify. 

I would check your facts. 

Thanks 

(hint we were relegated 89/90) 

finished 3rd in division 2 and won the league cup in 90/91 

lol at you. 

2 hours ago, qantas said:

Low point football on the pitch wise was the old third division, first half of the seventies if you like...however, at the exact same time, being an Owls fan wise it was also the high point...best time of my life traveling all over England watching Wednesday, yes the football was mainly rubbish but being with fellow Wednesdayites, especially away from home was pretty magical back then, didn't have any real responsibilities so football was my life, saw some incredible things, some good/brilliant & some shameful but what an experience, will never forget it...that, backed up by Slade the best effin band the world as ever seen...awesome.

You had me going then

... right up until the bit about Slade  :wacko:

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

If even a fraction of the players we've signed were anything to do with CC he'd have gone already. 

I don't buy into this at all, the players on the list of targets will have everything to do with CC, as well as a few others who's job it is to identify players, in my opinion if Carlos doesn't want him on that list then he's not on it.

Once that list is handed to Chansiri or whoever, then I've no doubt he has nothing to do with it, he's stated a number of times he doesn't like dealing with money or agents, this will also include length of contract, talking to other clubs etc...no head coach who's job it is to pick the team will accept players who he hasn't said yes to, if that's somehow forced on them they'll leave, it's happened before at other clubs & I am 100% certain CC wouldn't/couldn't work like that...if I'm wrong in my assessment(cos no one really knows do they)then Carlos isn't the man he comes across as being & if that actually is the way our club operates then forget getting any manager worth his salt coming here if Carlos does in fact leave.

2 hours ago, qantas said:

Talking about high & low points, again at the same time...traveling back from a night game at Wolves, we lost 1-0, Bannister missed two penalties & then the train broke down BUT...what a laugh we had with the Wolves fans that night & then on the train afterwards, some of the wit was incredible, worth the trip even though we lost & a broken train.

Was at this one too, singing about the 'rooof'

Mike Lyons got sent off too - still should've won despite all that

Just now, Ethel The Tree said:

You had me going then

... right up until the bit about Slade  :wacko:

Bowie?...Gilbert O'Sullivan?...maybe Gary Glitter?...who floated your boat back in the day?:biggrin:

Slade were immense...Noddy, best front man ever.

Was at this one too, singing about the 'rooof'

Mike Lyons got sent off too - still should've won despite all that

Yes mate that's the one, can still here the way they sang rooof...absolutely hilarious, even funnier was the way we took the mick out of them, they accepted it with great humour though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, qantas said:

Bowie?...Gilbert O'Sullivan?...maybe Gary Glitter?...who floated your boat back in the day?:biggrin:

Slade were immense...Noddy, best front man ever.

Musically, that was the Golden Age

Saying that, the stuff that floated my boat made little impact on the singles chart (few nice tunes in the summer of '72 though)

My album collection is fairly extensive but there's no place for any of the above - except Bowie (in patches)

Musically, that was the Golden Age

Saying that, the stuff that floated my boat made little impact on the singles chart (few nice tunes in the summer of '72 though)

My album collection is fairly extensive but there's no place for any of the above - except Bowie (in patches)

Mmmmm...making me guess hey.

OK...I'm saying Cream(maybe a tad early), Elton, Jackson 5....something Motownish, not Barry White.

20 minutes ago, qantas said:

Mmmmm...making me guess hey.

OK...I'm saying Cream(maybe a tad early), Elton, Jackson 5....something Motownish, not Barry White.

... at the risk of getting this thread bumped to another section  :columbo:

Cream? Definitely. Blues and rock are well represented here - Rory Gallagher, Led Zep, Ten Years After etc. far too many to mention

70's 'underground' - big fan in the day of Man, Hawkwind, Edgar Broughton, Amon Duul II ...

Then the 'musical' stuff that seems to get frowned upon these days - Pink Floyd, Gong, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf ...

Solo artists like Roy Harper, Michael Chapman, Al Stewart etc

Folkies like Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, Pentangle & Steeleye Span

Not forgetting the USA: West Coast in particular - Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller, Quicksilver ...

Country rock - Little Feat, Creedence, New Riders

etc etc etc 

But my all time no.1 will have to be Zappa/Mothers

There, you had to ask ................ Motown?  wtf?   :biggrin:

... at the risk of getting this thread bumped to another section  :columbo:

Cream? Definitely. Blues and rock are well represented here - Rory Gallagher, Led Zep, Ten Years After etc. far too many to mention

70's 'underground' - big fan in the day of Man, Hawkwind, Edgar Broughton, Amon Duul II ...

Then the 'musical' stuff that seems to get frowned upon these days - Pink Floyd, Gong, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf ...

Solo artists like Roy Harper, Michael Chapman, Al Stewart etc

Folkies like Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, Pentangle & Steeleye Span

Not forgetting the USA: West Coast in particular - Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller, Quicksilver ...

Country rock - Little Feat, Creedence, New Riders

etc etc etc 

But my all time no.1 will have to be Zappa/Mothers

There, you had to ask ................ Motown?  wtf?   :biggrin:

Some good stuff there pal.

• Like 1

The semi-final and cup final defeats(since 1960 in my case - Blackburn at Maine Road particularly) rank pretty high and the Manchester City(1970) and Forest games(1990) as well of course. The Wigan Cup defeat under JC + Wednesday 0 Rushden & Diamonds 0 - they're all up there. But the one that really made me suicidal - I was driving round London's North Circular at the time - was the 3-1 home defeat to Chesterfield in late March 1976(Wednesday's 4th in a row). Was certain 4th Division was coming to Hillsborough 5 years after the City debacle. 10 games left and doomed because we hadn't won away all season(& didn't). This was followed by FOUR 1-0 homes wins, two unlikely draws at Shrewsbury & Brighton(thank you for the goal that day Eric Potts - the only Wednesday player who's received Player of the Year award 2 years in a row!) and then the Southend decider where the gate almost trebled to 25,000! If you're an old timer like me life under CC & DC is a breeze I can assure you!

• Like 1

Two play off seasons and this year we all expected a much more positive start this season, theres nothing to suggest that we have learnt from previous mistakes and its the same indicision trying to find the right team selection and system to get the best out of what we have, when will it click into place, sorry to be negative but its how I feel at present, could be Tuesday morning blues.