Owls Launch Club 1867 Membership

In all honestly what kind of impact could a scheme like this realistically have in terms of players? 

Surely the money you'd amass from it would be a drop in the ocean when you think of transfer fees and wages. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

All Wednesday are offering for definite is a plaque on a seat. You have to admit it's an unusual request. 

On the face of it does seem a bit odd, but once again you seem absolute determined to find fault with pretty much everything the club is doing. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Quite possibly. Still don't think it's Armageddon as some would have us believe. 

In saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a revamp over the next 12 months. Truth be told a bit of freshening up on the playing side this summer may have not done us the world of harm. 

No, it's not Armageddon as we still have a very capable, talented squad even if we can't add to it significantly.  Not top two material, but the potential is there to reduce costs and increase revenues.  The issue we face now is getting the most out of that capable, talented squad.

Why doesn't DC consider selling the odd player every so often to help with FFP, like other clubs do. 

There's nothing wrong with selling a player for much greater value than was paid for him, and those incoming funds could then take us to the next level. 

Just now, Big Malc said:

No, it's not Armageddon as we still have a very capable, talented squad even if we can't add to it significantly.  Not top two material, but the potential is there to reduce costs and increase revenues.  The issue we face now is getting the most out of that capable, talented squad.

Yep. 

As you say we've put together a very good squad in the last few years. I think we all were looking at minor tweaks in the summer, albeit a few more tweaks than what we've gotten so far. 

Just now, RichieB said:

Why doesn't DC consider selling the odd player every so often to help with FFP, like other clubs do. 

There's nothing wrong with selling a player for much greater value than was paid for him, and those incoming funds could then take us to the next level. 

Indeed. 

There are a few positions were we have probably have too many options *coughs* strikers. 

13 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Reads to me like he's at the limit of what he's allowed to put in personally.  We have to shift some players off the wage bill.  Just goes to show the ridiculous amounts of money on offer in the Premiership if an owner can afford to write off the revenue from significant numbers of season tickets for 3 years.

Makes the signing of Rhodes look ridiculous if true.

Just now, SiJ said:

Indeed. 

There are a few positions were we have probably have too many options *coughs* strikers. 

Exactly. There's probably 1 or 2 players from the first team we could sell at a significant profit and it not affect us too much, whilst also giving us abit of leeway with FFP to balance the squad better. 

Just now, SiJ said:

On the face of it does seem a bit odd, but once again you seem absolute determined to find fault with pretty much everything the club is doing. 

Where am I finding fault? 

I have a worry about the financial situation. The solution to my eyes is to prune the squad - something I would be fully supportive of. He's had a pop and it hasn't worked so far.

Maybe we have to go a bit slower - keep Carlos and let him build something long term. I support keeping Carlos - that's a pretty fundamental thing you don't seem to have noticed that I'm not finding fault with.

If he can raise cash from this club fair play to him. No-one has to join this club - its very different from his actions re kit and ticket prices that I do object to. 

You're being over-sensitive, too hasty to jump on anything you perceive might indicate even the mildest criticism.  You're not alone and I find it tiresome - I'm sure you regard the Chansiri critics in a similar way. 

8 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Exactly. There's probably 1 or 2 players from the first team we could sell at a significant profit and it not affect us too much, whilst also giving us abit of leeway with FFP to balance the squad better. 

Well yeah. 

Does make you wonder about the Rhodes deal though. Nothing against Jordan - but did we buy him for the right reasons i.e., because we needed him? Looking on what we had already you'd have to say probably not. 

I might be be wrong but I think there might be a few contracts up in the summer. 

10 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Makes the signing of Rhodes look ridiculous if true.

The signing of Rhodes by a club aiming for promotion makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is then steadfastly refusing to play to his strengths and making him look like a bog standard plodder.  This is what I meant by needing to get the most out of this capable, talented squad.

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

And I back keeping Bannan in the team - he can still be an important player and had too much criticism. 

I'm an insignificant individual fan and if I don't like something at the club I've spent over half a century supporting I'll harrumph about it on here. It's all I can do bar not go anymore and at the moment that's several steps too far. 

Sounds like a decent idea to generate some income birthday gifts Christmas gifts if 2000 take it up it's 3m ,

this as come as no surprise surely most fans knew we where close to ffp this year CC just being business savvy and will do what needs to be done to keep within the rules .....

It all just goes to show the absolute importance of doing the right business in the transfer market.

It's not about whether players have done it before. 

It's not about whether signing them will show 'a statement of intent'

It doesn't matter if they'll cost you £10m  or £10k 

These things are irrelevancies but clubs all too often  get caught up in them.

The ONLY question should always be -:

"will they fit in with the group, the system and the style of play."

I actually don't think it's a bad idea in a way but what really bugs me is club's like us who have no parachute to rely on have really got a rough deal when the likes of villa and Boro can spent what they want it's just so unfair however I wouldn't be saying that if we went up. 

Just don't think Sheffield folk would gamble on 2100 quid on something that might not happen and like some have said we've missed some key opportunities with marketing in other areas.

Can you imagine spending 1800 quid (south stand )last season on a three yr st and then a further 2100 for a "future st "?

3900 quid in two seasons fak me !

How much are Stoke and West Brom season tickets in the premier league again ?

Edited by TaxiMark

1 hour ago, AMB1867 said:

Because all the players we want to sell, nobody wants or aren't worth anything.

Whilst the players we can get something for, are useful. 

Love to to have never signed Rhodes. What a waste of £10m. 

You're opinion! Let's face it is never positive just finds a downside of whatever the club and JR does, if we put the ball in the box he will score 20 plus.