Message from Carlos

13 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Its quite simple Carlos. Play attacking positive football and everything else will be put to one side.

100%

With these players, play defensive and we will gather lots of points. Play attacking and we will gather lots of points.......but the fans will be happy.

We are far better equipped to attack than defend anyway.

This theory about playing attacking football and we don't mind if we lose stuff is nonsense. Lose 5-3 every game and he gets the sack in October. Win 1-0 every game, and he is a genius and the fans love him. 

In general it's the pragmatic, method teams that go up. Wide men that track back, big lad up front and fullbacks that don't overlap. In recent times both Boro and Hull have led the way with that, and I reckon CC tried to copy that master plan last season. Problem is, we didn't do it as well as them. 

Just now, vulva said:

This theory about playing attacking football and we don't mind if we lose stuff is nonsense. Lose 5-3 every game and he gets the sack in October. Win 1-0 every game, and he is a genius and the fans love him. 

In general it's the pragmatic, method teams that go up. Wide men that track back, big lad up front and fullbacks that don't overlap. In recent times both Boro and Hull have led the way with that, and I reckon CC tried to copy that master plan last season. Problem is, we didn't do it as well as them. 

Cant agree.

Do u really think with the players at his disposal they would be losing 5-3 very often?

We lost 14 times last season. And God it was boring. 

We are far far better than what we put out last year. Far better. Of course we want to win more than entertain. But we can entertain and win more often because of it.

Hooper, Rhodes, FLetch, FF, Boyd, Abdi, Bannan, Wallace, Winnall....its rediculous that we are a defensive team. 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Cant agree.

Do u really think with the players at his disposal they would be losing 5-3 very often?

We lost 14 times last season. And God it was boring. 

We are far far better than what we put out last year. Far better. Of course we want to win more than entertain. But we can entertain and win more often because of it.

Hooper, Rhodes, FLetch, FF, Boyd, Abdi, Bannan, Wallace, Winnall....its rediculous that we are a defensive team. 

Depends whether you want promotion or entertainment. Hull City in the play off final is the template. It may not be sexy, but I firmly believe that's what Carlos tried to do last season. And the obvious other issue of teams parking the bus. 

I dont think we were too defensive. We were too deep, but that's a different issue. Bannan and Hutch both want to play the same role, and the fullbacks hardly went beyond the half way line. We were playing a back 6 at times. Everyone needs to move up the pitch 20 yards. 

Pretty sure it's possible to strike a balance between attacking and defending. 

Problem we had last season is we were often too slow getting forward and as a result quite a few of our games ended up becoming grinds. There was also a lack of pressing, which was something that we had been quite good at in the season before. 

Be nice to see us get on the front foot a bit more at home. We showed that we can do it against the likes of Newcastle and Norwich, Birmingham in the first half too. 

Nobody would have cared about the style of football if we had won the penalty shootout and then at Wembley 

If we play attacking football and lose the same people will be moaning. There are teams in this league who have good squads, experienced managers and rich owners to spend more in Jan if required.

You can't just turn up and play them off the park and if we try and fail the moaners will be out in force every time we don't win a game 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Problem we had last season is we were often too slow getting forward and as a result quite a few of our games ended up becoming grinds. There was also a lack of pressing, which was something that we had been quite good at in the season before. 

Be nice to see us get on the front foot a bit more at home. We showed that we can do it against the likes of Newcastle and Norwich, Birmingham in the first half too. 

The pressing point is a good one. We didn't look as fit last season. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

The pressing point is a good one. We didn't look as fit last season. 

Yeah. 

It was something that struck me in our game against Arsenal two or so years ago (probably the best display I've seen from us god knows how long). We were pressing them constantly, never allowing them to settle and winning the ball higher up the pitch.

Last season we didn't really do that (Newcastle and Norwich at home the two exceptions I can really think of) and instead often opted to drop deep and try to stifle. 

As a result it often felt that the opposition would get comfortable and settle into their own style of play. I think when you're at home you've really got to be getting at the away team in those first twenty or so minutes. 

20 minutes ago, vulva said:

We played quite expansive at the beginning of last season, plenty of shots but for what ever reason couldn't convert the chances. Carlos out mob were out in force. 

He wins ugly, carlos out mob .... well you know! 

22 minutes ago, vulva said:

Depends whether you want promotion or entertainment. Hull City in the play off final is the template. It may not be sexy, but I firmly believe that's what Carlos tried to do last season. And the obvious other issue of teams parking the bus. 

I dont think we were too defensive. We were too deep, but that's a different issue. Bannan and Hutch both want to play the same role, and the fullbacks hardly went beyond the half way line. We were playing a back 6 at times. Everyone needs to move up the pitch 20 yards. 

You take the 15/16 Hull side on at grind and they will beat you eight times out of ten. You take them on in an attacking game and stand a better chance. 

What about Huddersfield? Do u personally think we would have lost had we taken them on with attacking football for 180 minutes?

8 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

We played quite expansive at the beginning of last season, plenty of shots but for what ever reason couldn't convert the chances. Carlos out mob were out in force. 

He wins ugly, carlos out mob .... well you know! 

Yep played some great football.

Missed chances and gave away set piece goals 

Hopefully if we play the same from the off this season we will have a bit more luck

20 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Agreed. It's a balance we need. Not Keegan, but not the 16/17 Carlos either.

30 minutes ago, vulva said:

What youv'e described is defensive.

26 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You take the 15/16 Hull side on at grind and they will beat you eight times out of ten. You take them on in an attacking game and stand a better chance. 

What about Huddersfield? Do u personally think we would have lost had we taken them on with attacking football for 180 minutes?

But we didnt lose? We drew both games. Who knows what would have happened with different tactics. Udders certainly changed tactics once we scorred.

Do people realise teams dont just come to roll over at s6. They come with a game plan. More often than not to not concede. And as per udders once they concede they actually change how they are playing.